United States
Rutland
Vermont
flag msg tools
Boston Redsox
badge
New England Patriots!
mbmbmbmbmb
For me this is a toss up and they are all S&T or SPI games. Funny because I loved SPI back in the day! They sure made some dogs though! shake

Dixie absolute trash!
Oil War yuck!

And maybe the worst of all First World War module The First World War.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Palmer
Canada
Ayr
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, my least favourite is definitely War. I don't mind some chaos in my wargames, but this one goes a little too far. There are far better CDGs available.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
Some of the Command games were pretty throw-away, too.

My absolutely most disappointing game though, has to be Panzer Grenadier: Semper Fi! Guadalcanal. I think it's the only game I've given a "1", not just because it's so riddled with errors that it's been rendered unplayable, but also because it *should* have been awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
the scrub
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I LOVE Napoleon's Triumph. I just SUCK AT IT BAD. For some reason it just does not click with me. I can handle ASL and pretty well anything else but something about this beautiful game makes me stupid.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon
Canada
flag msg tools
badge
mb
My least favourite of late has been War Without Mercy.

I enjoyed the sweep of fighting on the entire Eastern Front. However, the relatively large combat factors make it seem too much like an exercise in mathematics for me. Throw in far-too-fiddly air rules and this just does not interest me. I want the only tension in a game to be situation-related, not calculus-related. It felt like one of those dreams where you show up for the final exam, but you haven't attended a class all year.

OK, I'm exaggerating. It is just not the game for me personally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Beaton
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
I have a cunning plan
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably Drang Nach Osten!, which should be superawesome, but the amount of space and time required just to set it up means I never got to actually play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Talbot
Canada
Fort Smith
Northwest Territories
flag msg tools
Be seeing you... -Alphonse
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keeping in mind I've only been playing real war games for three or four years, I'd have to say the one I least want to play again is Paths of Glory. I really didn't care much for the card-driven nature of the game and found it more frustrating than fun.

I'd say maybe I'm just not a CDG kind of guy, but Twilight Struggle really clicked with me.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lavoie
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, nobody made bad wargames like Fresno Gaming Association. The worst of the worst, it says here, is The Civil War, FGA's attempt to remake the SPI monster War between the States (first edition). The graphics are cool, but the rules are atrocious and the "history" article laughable.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I hate to admit it, but my least favorite wargame is a game from one of my favorite game companies - and a fairly recent release. But....

Athens & Sparta

...is just not very good. The terrain is so rough, that it forces attacks along particular avenues. Furthermore, the combat system favors the defender anyway. So, the game becomes kind of bogged down - like one big Peloponnesian staring contest.

[edit: If I had to pick an 'old school title' as least favorite, I would select SPI's Air War: Modern Tactical Air Combat. Nothing could be more fun than trying to recreate all of the complexities of modern jet combat in a wargame. Why...you could make a two-minute combat last FOUR whole hours! Yay!]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Once you decide you don't like a game, why waste brain cells and time deciding which one sucks the most? Set 'em aside and play something better.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Lavoie
United States
Nashua
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
MichaelLavoie wrote:
Well, nobody made bad wargames like Fresno Gaming Association. The worst of the worst, it says here, is The Civil War, FGA's attempt to remake the SPI monster War between the States (first edition). The graphics are cool, but the rules are atrocious and the "history" article laughable.

And wasn't this the one where they re-used Richard Berg's psychiatrist as a Confederate leader despite their claims that the game was a "new" design?

Thanks for bringing up the amusing memory, but I don't think it was this game ... that one, I believe, was their game on Shiloh, the title of which escapes me at the moment...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Advanced Civilization is the most boring game I have ever played. A truly miserable experience. If not for the fact that I was playing with a great group of guys I would have just walked away. Awful game.

A close second is Diplomacy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Remember, boys and girls, friends don't let friends publish wargames.

That said, the worst wargame I've had the misfortune to play is Phase Line Smash. I just didn't enjoy the experience, then I boiled down the victory conditions to "don't take any losses."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
Even though it is a classic game I would have to say Diplomacy. I never warmed up to it for various reasons. I was never interested in Squad Leader because more and more rules one would have to know and keep up with. It would cut down on time to learn to play other and newer games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Advanced Civilization is the most boring game I have ever played. A truly miserable experience. If not for the fact that I was playing with a great group of guys I would have just walked away. Awful game.

Well, first of all you're just plain wrong! devil

And secondly, Civ (advanced or no) isn't a war game.

I'm sure there are wargames out there I would really dislike if I played them. But of ones I have some experience with, I have to say I didn't care for Panzer Leader. I don't like line of sight.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Johnson
United States
Seguin
TX
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
billyboy wrote:
For me this is a toss up and they are all S&T or SPI games. Funny because I loved SPI back in the day! They sure made some dogs though! shake

Dixie absolute trash!
Oil War yuck!

And maybe the worst of all First World War module The First World War.

I must beg to differ. I spent many a happy hour playing Oil War. I recently reacquired it to renew that relationship!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Barlow
Canada
Stratford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No one takes the time to read anymore.
mb
I'd have to say Federation Commander: Klingon Border. I followed the forums during its "construction" and while it could have been a much watered-down, simpler (funner) version of SFB, it's just as all-encompassingly muddled as the original.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mochara
msg tools
badge
mb
I didn't mind Defiant Holland, but that cover sheet is baaaad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
martimer wrote:

Oh wow, Civilization is one of the best games ever made! This is shocking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pepe le moko wrote:
martimer wrote:

Oh wow, Civilization is one of the best games ever made! This is shocking.

Apparently there is disparity in taste. I think the best games ever made include Up Front and Blitzkrieg General. Maybe we are all in the hobby for a different reason.whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hoyt

Butte
Montana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Air War: Modern Tactical Air Combat. Already mentioned (and thanks for bringing that memory back up!)

Look, I was a teenager. Lots of time on my hands. No money. Long before computers or consoles or even (sniff) a girlfriend. And I was a WARGAMER, all caps. Played lots of games. NOT intimidated by thick rulebooks or complexity. Hell I even relished it. So basically that game had every possible chance of success with me.

And I tried. 3 times. And then donated it to GoodWill (long before e-bay as well).

I've played lots of bad wargames. Got a whole closet full of games that I'm hanging on to in the probably vain hope that I'll eventually get around to giving them a serious try and finding a great game in there. Got more games on order right now, with the same high, and statistically unrealistic, hopes.

There are a handful of GREAT wargames, those that I play a lot and keep me and my money in the hobby. There a TON of medicore games. But there are very few I simply tossed, and Air War leads that pack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marlin Back
United States
COLUMBUS
Indiana
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Any wargame That I can't figure out the rules no matter how many times I try. Actually, my family and friends never seemed to enjoy A Game of Thrones. I know it is a highly rated and good looking game, but it never clicked with us. Some of the hex and chit games can keep us at the table for hours/days...and loving it. Although, I have to admit I play almost completely solo these days. The kids are grown and the friends are bogged down with economic woes (I was recently laid off myself). But, to stay on topic, It really is the wargames where the rules are broken/bent or impossible to figure out that ruins the experience and makes you feel like you have been robbed considering how much games cost these days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Ace of Aces: Jet Eagles.

I love the concept of Ace of Aces, and the WWI books are brilliant. They tried to extend it with Ace of Aces: Wingleader which was WWII planes and just didn't work as well, and modern jet fighters was just a complete waste of time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
June Hwang Wah
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sherron wrote:
Even though it is a classic game I would have to say Diplomacy.

Diplomacy is not a wargame. Although I'm with you in that I don't like it either. devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D T P
United States
Pikeville
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The worst game in my collection has to be The American Civil War. Terrible map and poor looking counters too.

As for the geek who thought Drang Nach Osten! was the worst. Sell it to me, or to Billyboy! I'm sure either of us would be willing to pay top dollar for it. Or trade!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.