Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The big news today is that everything is agreed for the art and design work of Founding Fathers. Art will be created by Josh Cappel, who did the artwork for Jason and Christian's 1960 game from Z-Man.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Harris
United States
Beaverton
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Josh's art is amazing! Great news!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geeky McGeekface
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Best hobby, with the best people in the world. Gaming is the best!
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Excellent, excellent news.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is really great to hear. 1960 is a beautiful game, board and cards alike.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Jamelli
United States
Chambersburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That is some good news. Can't wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Franklin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Oh, no! Awful news. Now every time I want to write something down, I'll reach for the quill, only to realize it is art on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias D
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
I release my anger through writing.
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a month. Give us an update?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Founding Fathers news, update AUG 2009
This is a quick update.
I'm actually in Florida with my other job--coaching! (3-0 so far, yay!)

Founding Fathers art is under way with Josh Cappel...same artist as 1960.

I believe Jason/Christian have gotten most of the material to him that is finished/not still being tweaked.

With other sales, JRG is close to being able to do a full go-ahead with Founding Fathers. Right now, it would be really handy to get another 50-60 preorders.

ALSO--the cart system on the JRG website is incapable of recognizing international addresses for postage costs--I'm sorry for the inconvenience but can't change it at this time. If you are international, PLEASE contact me and I'll calculate the additional postage costs. --And everyone who has ordered overseas like that has been incredibly polite and friendly. You all know who you are
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jollyrogergames wrote:
Right now, it would be really handy to get another 50-60 preorders.

It might help if there were rules posted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules: I don't have a copy or I would --that's best taken up with Jason and Christian!

Everything else is still generally progressing. Art is under way and a manufacturing price has been determined. The only question remaining is the size of the initial print run. It'll be at least 500, probably not more than 3000. (Someone has to show financial prudence in America! cool )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias D
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nicely done with the monthly update Jim, we didn't even have to gather up at Mob Square and sharpen our pitchforks (you know how rabid we geeks get when we don't get our fix...)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying
It's rough because I have a different job which occupies an insane amount of my time from July until November!

And now for a taunt--you know, here in the US, we use combines and tractors now...much better than pitchforks (and they leave less identifiable evidence....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Founding Fathers news 10/22/09
I hate artists. Really.

I get home tonight from my other time consuming fall job and I get an email from the artist.

And what does Mr. Cappel have to say?

He tells me that he has this incredible idea for a box cover and art and...I don't get to see it! What the crap....I feel like a kid on December 24th finding out that he has to wait until Christmas morning to open presents!!!

ARGH!!!

PS. I don't hate artists. I just figured that was a way of noting that art is underway and things are proceeding pretty smoothly. As soon as there is some finished art, I will try and post that for people to look at.

The only other news--the pre-order price is going to be raised, probably November 15. At that point it will go up $5. It'll go up again $5 in December as everything gets closer to launch. I'm REALLY jazzed for Founding Fathers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Vance
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jollyrogergames wrote:
I'm REALLY jazzed for Founding Fathers.

thumbsup for the news.

thumbsupthumbsup for the use of jazzed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh Cappel
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jollyrogergames wrote:
I hate artists. Really.

Easy, tiger. Check your inbox. It's a good one.

~J
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed, the cover is gorgeous. It's classy and dignified--not sure you'd think it is a game box when you first look at it. It looks like a coffee table book OR perhaps the cover of a History Channel DVD.

Definitely good to check the in box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias D
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah yeah yeah. Show us already
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias D
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Soooo... Jim, time for the monthly update? Or do you think you've done your part by teasing us with the artwork, hmm? ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Founding Fathers news 12/3/09
Actually, I had intended to an update last week, but came down with the flu--and even missed Thanksgiving with my family because of that.

The latest:

The art for the cards is done, the box is done, and so are the cards for the Articles of the Constitution--which look incredible and best of all, within the context of the game, will be clear to use.

Work is being done on the board now along with changes to the rules* and I think each of those will be pretty spiffy.

*The changes aren't like Hollywood rewrites or anything. It's just as the art is finished and color-coding done, text has to be re-done to fit the new components/scheme. Mr. Cappel and the designers are REALLY working to avoid typos, etc.

From the moment those last bits of art (and I think those are the last things) are finished, I expect it to be roughly 90 days until the game is done....at which point the problem becomes transit delays, customs, and everything else beyond my control.

Is that a good update?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:
Jim, having intimate understanding of what it is you're doing, I tip my hat to you.

Best wishes with your remaining production tasks... this one looks like a real winner. Looking forward to seeing it when finished.

You are me both, sir!

I'm really proud of how this is going. Actually, I'm pretty proud of how the last several games have turned out. I've learned a lot along the way--and want to keep improving from game to game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias D
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jollyrogergames wrote:
Actually, I had intended to an update last week, but came down with the flu--and even missed Thanksgiving with my family because of that.

That almost made me feel like an ass.

Almost.

Rabid fanboy feels no remorse. devil

Although I hope you're feeling better, and I'm sad you missed Thanksgiving.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
residue wrote:
jollyrogergames wrote:

That almost made me feel like an ass.

Almost.

Rabid fanboy feels no remorse. devil
Although I hope you're feeling better, and I'm sad you missed Thanksgiving.

Don't feel bad. How are you to know? Besides, what else is there to do in Finland other than wait for Founding Fathers!!! arrrh

(Speaking of: I mentioned the 70th anniversary of the Winter War to people here and they refused to believe Finland took on the USSR on its own in a war!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matias D
Finland
Raseborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jollyrogergames wrote:

Don't feel bad. How are you to know? Besides, what else is there to do in Finland other than wait for Founding Fathers!!! arrrh

I'll have you know that there's lots wood to haul, and plenty of reindeer to chase, and quite a few polar bears to run away from. And I heard that that one guy in the village next over bought himself a color TV, so we'll probably go and watch ourselves one of them fancy programs this weekend.

jollyrogergames wrote:

(Speaking of: I mentioned the 70th anniversary of the Winter War to people here and they refused to believe Finland took on the USSR on its own in a war!)

Neither could the USSR whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Dietz
United States
Sigel
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb

Neither could the USSR

Absolutely well played, sir.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.