Subject: highest price paid for the fusion plant? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
p j
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
it went for 80 in my group last night. anyone beat that?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendra Scott
United States
East Syracuse
New York
flag msg tools
We've had a seven plant go for around $90 on several occasions. The fusion plant is rarely bought in our games because we play with a large group (5-6) and usually don't get into step 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
I have seen a plant sell for over $100 (I think it sold for $105) in a final round and the person who got it won the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark sellmeyer
United States
st louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen it go for at least $100. But the highest I've seen is myself paying $135 for the 7 oil plant. I was about to win but the other players conspired and bought up all the coal, so I couldn't power my 7 coal plant. So the next auction phase they ran up the price of the plant I wanted as much as possible, (thus the $135 price tag), I then retired my 7 coal plant to add the oil plant. They didn't have enough capacity to buy up all the oil, so they just delayed my win by one round, but it was a good humorous end to the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never seen the fusion plant actually come out. I've seen auctions for 7 plants reach the $150 range, though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Craig Trader
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I once paid E150 for it -- and still won.

Special circumstances. I was playing a 2-player game with a good friend who has a special weakness for the fusion plant. I had been doing much better than he had, and the fusion plant would solidify my victory, but I didn't want to spend 10 minutes arguing about it in an auction, so when I put the fusion plant out for bid, I started with E150 ... and enjoyed watching his jaw drop. He let me have it, and I still won by E4. And I got a story to go with it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Lallinaho
Finland
Helsinki
flag msg tools
Learn more at xubuntu.org
badge
mb
I paid 55 for the fusion plant, but the 42 plant (2 coal -> 6 cities) was bought for a whopping 141 electro - that was the only plant she could have come second with. She lost the second place having about 20 electro too little. In the end, I won the game easily as the other players started to play more for the second place and not taking me down.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benjamin Notrevealing
United Kingdom
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think I've seen the fusion plant come out maybe once ever?

I bought the 21 plant (2 oil/coal powers 4 cities) for 129 electros recently... it was the last turn and it was the best plant available surprise What a wacky game that was. Over 6 times the face value - gotta be the record or pretty close to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WelshGandalf wrote:

It should come out most games. Are you playing to the right number of cities? Are you removing the correct plants for 3 or 4 players?

Not counting China, I have seen every 6 city plant sell for over $100. I have seen the 46 go for $180.

Counting China, I think I have seen every 6 city plant go for over $100 in the same game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I too have rarely seen it. It's either out of the game entirely, at the bottom of the shuffled step 3 plants, or the game ends quickly.

I suspect it's your gameplay style, sounds like your group is quite high bidding. We're conservative bidders, so we have more money for building cities, and the game ends sooner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall Bart
United States
Winnetka
California
flag msg tools
designer
Baseball been bery bery good to me
badge
This is a picture of a published game designer
mbmbmbmbmb
UnknownParkerBrother wrote:
I suspect it's your gameplay style, sounds like your group is quite high bidding. We're conservative bidders, so we have more money for building cities, and the game ends sooner.

I have seen games where every plant went for face value. However, if you guys never bid high, I would kick your butt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh most likely.

I have no illusions of being anything than an average player of any game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Murray Lewis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
Good at learning, useless at playing
badge
No secret message here
mbmbmbmbmb
Last time it came up I think I paid just shy of 90.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will
United States
Fresno
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Barticus88 wrote:
WelshGandalf wrote:

It should come out most games. Are you playing to the right number of cities? Are you removing the correct plants for 3 or 4 players?

I agree, we see it come out to the market in the majority of our games.

Just a few reminders for people who don't see it come out often.
For fewer players (3 & 4 I belive) you remove random power plants before you begin the game, rules have info on this.
Every turn in step 1 and 2 you remove highest plant in beurocracy phase, to put under bottom of power plant stack. In step 3, you remove lowest to go out of game every turn.
Whenever you build equal or greater than any plant in the market you remove it (like if someone builds 6 cities and the 06 plant is in the market it gets removed). This also includes if you ever turn over a plant card thats equal or lower in number than the highest number of cities that someone has built.
If everyone passes on buying a plant (so that no one bought a plant that turn), then the lowest plant is immediately removed from market.

When step 3 hits, shuffle only the power plants that were under the step 3 card. ALSO do a 1 time additional removal of the lowest power plant out of the game when step 3 hits (rules have clarifications on how to handle this depending on when the step 3 card comes up).

So at a minimum there should be a churn of 2 plants every turn (highest or lowest makes 1, and either someone bought one or no one did but in either case its at least 1 additional plant churning out every turn). Maximum churn could be quite high. For instance, in a 6 player game, if everyone purchased a plant, and the mandated highest/lowest removed, and an extra card removed for hitting step 3, and additional cards removed for building past them. You could hit 10 or more plant churn in a turn theoretically (although it would be unusual).

There's a fair amount of fiddlyness to the power plant rules, but once you have played with them a few times it should become clear. My guess is that some people may be missing one or more of these things that help churn the power plants.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Cochran
United States
Costa Mesa
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
We used to see it come out, but as we've played more we tend not to now: the game often ends after only one or two turns in Step 3 because someone sees that they can power more cities than anyone else and then sprints to the endgame number of cities even though they can't power them. The tension and pacing of the end of Step 2/beginning of Step 3 is much more intense, but it does mean that we often end up denying the last few power plants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Rügenhagen
Germany
flag msg tools
mb
in my games, the fusion plant seldom sells for more than eighty ... it usually it comes up after player 1-3 already exhausted themselves for the 38 or 46 (which seldom goes for less than 90) and then it's up for grabs ^^

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben P
United States
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmb
I paid 136$ for it. But I knew it would win me the game that turn. It was a 5 player game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barak Engel
United States
Oakland
CA
flag msg tools
And the Geek shall Inherit the Earth
badge
I am the unholy trinity: Agnostic, Atheist, and Skeptic.
mbmbmb
I have yet to see it fetch the best prices; the 7 plants go for bigger numbers. The highest I've seen paid for any plant was $174.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.