United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
I'll accept a more reliable pollster.

Not a republican funded one.

11 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Rasmussen is very reliable. It's just that it puts out reliable right-wing propaganda.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
Rasmussen is very reliable. It's just that it puts out reliable right-wing propaganda.


Zing!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:


I'll trust Gallop, too.

However, there have been a lot reports about a widening gap between Presidential approval and approval of his agenda. So while support for the President remains high, people are becoming more skeptical with regards to health reform and the economy.
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought this was interesting:

4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorge Montero
United States
St Louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag. With Latin written on it that says "It's hard to give a shit these days"
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course his trend is downward: He's tackling health care!

When your country has entire generations that were pretty much brainwashed with private = good, government = bad, and you face a machine trying as hard as possible to make the most inefficient health care system in the west continue the way it is, it's pretty hard to keep good approval ratings.

If Americans actually thought about things instead of going for knee-jerk reactions, then he might have different results, but then he'd be president of a different country.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
hibikir wrote:
If Americans actually thought about things instead of going for knee-jerk reactions, then he might have different results, but then he'd be president of a different country.


I was going to post a thoughtful reply to this but then I decided to just go with my gut.

Same to ya!
6 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOGB
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
Taking May 1st as the end of his "honeymoon period," the results seem pretty much in line with the traditional presidency. The 15% of respondents who wanted the world to change overnight are now disillusioned that it hasn't. The president's numbers are still pretty healthy, though.

Maybe; maybe not. I heard somewhere that over the last 10 presidents, he currently ranks 7th with his current numbers at this point. If true that would seem to imply that there's a bit more of the 15% idealists that are now disillusioned, considering the massive wave he rode in on.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
TheOriginalGameBoy wrote:
LeeDambis wrote:
Taking May 1st as the end of his "honeymoon period," the results seem pretty much in line with the traditional presidency. The 15% of respondents who wanted the world to change overnight are now disillusioned that it hasn't. The president's numbers are still pretty healthy, though.

Maybe; maybe not. I heard somewhere that over the last 10 presidents, he currently ranks 7th with his current numbers at this point. If true that would seem to imply that there's a bit more of the 15% idealists that are now disillusioned, considering the massive wave he rode in on.


He's tied for 5th. And that is 5th during a time of instant gratification MTV like attention span audience.

2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Russell
United States
Clarkston
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
TheOriginalGameBoy wrote:
LeeDambis wrote:
Taking May 1st as the end of his "honeymoon period," the results seem pretty much in line with the traditional presidency. The 15% of respondents who wanted the world to change overnight are now disillusioned that it hasn't. The president's numbers are still pretty healthy, though.

Maybe; maybe not. I heard somewhere that over the last 10 presidents, he currently ranks 7th with his current numbers at this point. If true that would seem to imply that there's a bit more of the 15% idealists that are now disillusioned, considering the massive wave he rode in on.


He's tied for 5th. And that is 5th during a time of instant gratification MTV like attention span audience.



Which poll?

I thought I heard on that right wing conspiracy channel (NPR) that he was 7th also, but don't recall the poll.

I don't see low poll numbers as necessarily a bad thing. It could mean he's doing his job rather than continuing to campaign.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOGB
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
LeeDambis wrote:
I say this mostly because the stock market seems to head north during Democratic administrations and to tank when the Republicans are in charge.

Where's the evidence of this? Maybe you mean some specific statistic, but with such a broad brush I'm not sure I follow.

from 1980 to 1992, the DJ went from about 900 to about 3200, or about 263% That was despite the crash of 1987, which dropped it from 2500 to 1800. From 1992 to 2000 it went up about 8300 points, or 259%. From 2000 to the start of the crash last year it had gone up only about 22%, taking major dives after the tech bubble burst and then of course 9/11. If you start at the low point after 9/11's slide, it went up 70% or so from 9/02 to the high point in 2007. Since 2007 it has slid and then eventually the slide broke. Since March, we've been on a tear again.

My point is that I don't seem to see a correlation at all, but that's with the broad brush you painted; if you mean something more specific, such as "first quarter of new president" or something, then it may be different.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TOGB
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
MWChapel wrote:
He's tied for 5th. And that is 5th during a time of instant gratification MTV like attention span audience.

I think the 7th was a look at a more specific point in time rather than a quarterly average - such as weekly tracking polls. Not saying either is more useful; just saying where I think the 7th came from.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
Avatar
TheOriginalGameBoy wrote:
MWChapel wrote:
He's tied for 5th. And that is 5th during a time of instant gratification MTV like attention span audience.

I think the 7th was a look at a more specific point in time rather than a quarterly average - such as weekly tracking polls. Not saying either is more useful; just saying where I think the 7th came from.


So what they are picking up on is they found his lowest dip, and said "look, he's in 7th today, trouble".. But they won't say a word if tomorrow he's in 4th. Those averages are practically useless, and probably the 3 month average is probably useless. I mean he dipped to 56% last week, and then recovered to 61% a few days later, and now dipped to 55%. Next week who knows.

But no pollster worth it's salt will take a sample at the extremes.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it's funny that the only topics the public still "approves" his handling of by a wide majority are the ones that he never talks about and hasn't done anything about:

Iraq and Afghanistan.

And I find it interesting that in the "news" conference, there was a question about racism in a Cambridge disturbing the peace arrest, and nothing about the rising number of deaths in Afghanistan.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jageroxorz wrote:
I think it's funny that the only topics the public still "approves" his handling of by a wide majority are the ones that he never talks about and hasn't done anything about:


I think it's discouraging. Funny, no.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jage
United States
Greensboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Funny not as "humorous," but funny as in

curious; strange; peculiar; odd: Her speech has a funny twang.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.