Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
If you're like me you decided to buy Timber Tom not just for the niffty components and fun gameplay but because of the theme. There really are very few games that use hiking/outdoor adventure as a theme without throwing fantasy elements into it, despite the fact it's an activity enjoyed by millions. The previous game I've played on the subject-Outdoor Survivor was quite a poor game, but I understand that despite that it was an Avalon Hill bestseller. So I would like to thank Marco for developing a game on a much under used subject.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marco Bing
France
Lyon
flag msg tools
designer
Glad to be of assistance Bernie ;-)

Actually from the very first moment I started toying with sketches, plans and rules the Outdoor theme always remained the same.

One element though, that I did change was the treasure. The original plan was to find 4 golden skulls but I thought this made the story seem too 'archeological'. I figured there was already a fair share of archeological-themed games on the market, as well as fantasy, so I went with the bags of gold coins to keep the story within a more recent period (I HAVE kept the skull mold for a later game ;-).

Actually Bernie if ever you have the time to go back to the TimberTom.eu website I have buried within the site a "Secret Stuff" page.

Press the BUY NOW button and and the first purchase page you will see towards the bottom a PayPay advertising banner. Either side of this banner are two secret keys (invisible 'mouseover' buttons). Just press on a key to enter the "Secret Stuff" page.

I have posted a few "making-of" pics here. In the last image you will the skulls on top of each mountain instead of the bags of gold. This was one of my first homemade samples I used for game planning and design.

I'll try and post some more pics here in the next few days as a few of the very few people that know about this page (no more than a dozen) have requested more pics!

Cheers for now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bernie Roessler
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
Why were we not in the movie?
mbmbmbmbmb
Marco,

Thanks for letting us in on the secret pages.
I think it was a good idea to change from skulls to bags of gold. Gathering skulls (presumably of Native Americans) from burial sites is, as I'm certain you know, frowned upon by just about everyone these days unless it's a fantasy theme which Timber Tom is definitely not.

Edit. Opps I mis-read your post. You said Golden Skulls. I'm still glad you changed it. Golden Skulls is a bit too Indiana Jones like. I'm glad you kept the game more grounded in reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.