United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mysterious Matters of Max Metters / Moonifest Destiny
badge
Island of the Moths
mbmbmbmbmb
Over in the Suggestions forum I proposed adding Scale attribute to wargames here on BGG (along with number of players, time, mechanics, artist, publisher, etc.).

This could be, as GROGnads helpfully suggested, 5 categories:

Squad Level - ASL, L&L, etc.
Tactical - Operation Pegasus, Chinese Farm, etc.
Operational - Battle of the Bulge, GBACW, etc.
Strategic Campaigns - the Vicksburg Campaign, EastFront, etc.
Grand Strategic

If you like the idea, I invite you to chime in over there. Thank you kindly, and happy gaming!

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/425173

edit: corrected hyperlink

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it would make more sense to use the following:

1. Little guys
2. Groups of little guys
3. Lots of groups of little guys
4. Armies representing a whole bunch of little guys
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Gelman
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Mysterious Matters of Max Metters / Moonifest Destiny
badge
Island of the Moths
mbmbmbmbmb
IrishBouzouki wrote:
Sorry Pete, but probably NOT.

this kind of thing gets totally screwed up all the time and is not universally and consistently understood by any means

You may be right, but something like that could also be said for the existing attributes. A lot of people could argue over "Playing time" and "User suggested ages", for example - maybe those attributes are much more subjective than scale, yet they're included.

To me the actual division and definition of the wargame scales for best BGG performance is a tough side issue that could be worked on separately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Seriously, though, what might be really helpful is to know the timeframe of one turn e.g. "One Turn = 15 minutes" or "One Turn = 1 year". Wouldn't this be an easier way of understanding what kind of a game you'd be getting into?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
And why not scale, while we're at it? One hex equals 110 yards, one SP is 75-90 men.

Next thing, we'll all want component lists.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
One form of separation I would like to see is tactical from other types, this can be determined between whether the game utilises LOS as a basic premise or not.

Length of real time per game turn is a good quantifier and because of it's exactness can not be vague. We may even find a gap in the market.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sdiberar wrote:
And why not scale, while we're at it? One hex equals 110 yards, one SP is 75-90 men.

what happens in non hex games? devil

(Did you see what I did then with the devil and the hex?)shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
I pretty well agree with the unit-and-map-scale section of this Wikipedia article on wargaming. (Scroll down to Unit and Map Scale, or click the link near the top of the page.)

But it'd probably be well-nigh impossible to get many wargamers in BGG to agree to those or any other definitions.

As to how much time a turn represents, or how much space a hex covers, that's not always made explicit in the game (oddly enough). Consider Battle Cry, for example, where scale varies from one scenario to the next. And then there are games which claim not to have turns at all (like Men of Iron). And certainly many that don't have hexes.

I think it'd be very useful information (I'd love to be able to do an advanced search for, say, tactical-level post-WWII games). But I don't see how it's doable.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:
One form of separation I would like to see is tactical from other types, this can be determined between whether the game utilises LOS as a basic premise or not.

Not really. Ogre/GEV is tactical, but LOS has no part in the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Lowry
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Patrick Carroll wrote:
I pretty well agree with the unit-and-map-scale section of this Wikipedia article on wargaming. (Scroll down to Unit and Map Scale, or click the link near the top of the page.)

Thanks, glad you like it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
p55carroll
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Smooth seas make the voyage more pleasant.
badge
A ship in port is safe, and that's just what ports are for.
mbmbmbmbmb
whatambush wrote:

Except in pre-gunpowder-era games, where there may be few or no missile weapons, rendering LOS irrelevant even at the ultra-tactical level.

Quote:
Length of real time per game turn is a good quantifier and because of it's exactness can not be vague.

In many wargames, "length of real time per game turn" is vague. In ASL, a turn represents about two minutes. Other games don't even get that explicit. How much real time does a game turn represent in Totensonntag? In some games, night turns represent a lot more time than day turns. And some games claim not to have turns, per se, at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Westmore
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I think it is too subjective a call as others have said. Might be worth listing the most common unit represented - squad, company, regiment, division etc. and environment - land, air, and/or sea etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.