7) Batle of the Bulge
8) Guadalcanal
9) Pearl Harbour Attack
10) Waterloo
11) Austerlitz
12) Borodino
13) Cannae
14) Zama

May you help in pointing out 2 or 3 wargames with pros and cons. I would like wargame with a duration of less than 6 hours.

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Meyer
Germany
Hamburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Both Cannae and Zama have a fairly detailed treatment in SPQR (Deluxe Edition).

CONS: A bit fiddly, with lots and lots of markers. Long set-up time. Rules. Exceptions to rules. Special cases. Long playing time, about four to six hours per battle, probably more during first play.

PROS: This is the most detailed treatment of ancient tactical warfare out there. A great experience that will give you tremendous insight in how armies deployed, manoeuvred and fought. As for Cannae, there is a lot of debate amongst historians about how many Roman legions were there: four double-legions or eight? This game offers you both variants.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Skip Franklin
United States
Oklahoma City
OK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
7)

Battles for the Ardennes
Bitter Woods (fourth edition)
Ardennes '44

My favorite is Ardenens '44 but it is the most complex of the three. Bitter Woods is a good game and is not as long to play. Battles for the Ardennes is a good old standby that has stood the test of time and is the largest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Barnett-Lewis
United States
Hayward
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1) Almost ready to ship - A Victory Denied
2) Stalingrad Pocket II
4) Crusader and Gazala
7) Bastogne: Screaming Eagles under Siege

Hmm? Oh, why yes, I do like SCS. IGS is almost as good.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Wilson
United Kingdom
Blandford
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Austerlitz is covered within Napoleon's triumph - GameID: 18098

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave King
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nos. 1-4 there are a ton of games on each of these. It's a matter of scale and complexity desired.
For 5 and 6, Avalanched has a nice series in Second World War at Sea games. Pros: Easy to learn, lots of dice rolling. Cons: Easy to learn, lots of dice rolling.
Battle of the Bulge: see 1-4 above, but for an operational game I would choose Bitter Woods and for a tactical game I would go with Panzer Grenadier: Battle of the Bulge.
Guadalcanal: Again lots of choices. The Panzer Grenadier version is pretty interesting, but doesn't really give a feel for the overall operational situation, but then again it's a small unit tactical game.
Pearl Harbor: Jeeze, why bother. Virtually every game that covers this is a Pacific War strat-op game that uses the Pearl Harbor event to get things rolling.
Waterloo: You gotta get a copy of Battles of Waterloo from GMT. Great stuff.
Austerlitz: Most detailed treatment is Austerlitz from GMT. Beautiful game.
Borodino: Here's another one that offers tons of choices, most at the operational level, so pick your publisher.
Cannae: Another one that lots of designers have taken a stab at. Recent titles include SPQR (mentioned above) for a detailed treatment and C&C Ancients for a lighter game.
Zama: ditto.

And for anything WWII that you want lots of detailed action at the small unit scale, Acvanced Squad Leader is the no. 1 choice. Has a large following and cons all over the country.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Enrique Escribano
msg tools
I like medium or grat complexity, in the way of playing which are your suggestions?, I am used to hex or fog of war system.

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miguel Enrique Escribano
msg tools
I have no received answer, any suggestion will be welcome.

Thanks,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.