Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Pape
Canada
Kingston
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished painting my minis. It was suggested to me that I spray them with a gloss finish for protection, and a matte finish to take away the gloss. I sprayed them with the gloss, and they looked pretty good at that point, so I didn't spray them with the mat.
Anyways, they're still pretty sticky after about a week. They were in a baggie together, and Jake Cartwright has a couple of spots on his coat and pants, that I think are from Jenny's leg, but I'm not sure.
Is this a storage problem, or should I give them a shot with the Matte Spray?

Also, if there's a more general painting forum that I should be posting in, feel free to point me towards that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Has
United States
Sandy
Utah
flag msg tools
badge

I've used both a gloss and a matte finish and both of them left the minis all sticky. So I have no idea what to use to protect the paint but not make them annoying to touch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrienne
United States
SAN JOSE
California
flag msg tools
badge
Fierce Fish Win the Cup
mbmbmbmbmb
I have that problem too, but only with those minis. Not sure if it isn't something with them. I've tried a flat finish, always tacky. All of my other figures that I've painted don't have this problem.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony bristow
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I hope somebody has the answer I just primed my figs a couple days agao and am ready to paint them up....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my gaming experience, I was always taught that if you want to "marbalize" your figs, use glossy . Yes they'll be shiny and may tint your paints a bit yellow, but the coat is thicker and more durable. You can use a matte, and it will retain more of the original colors use, however the coating is not as thick and will wear out sooner.(some have suggested using more than one coating of matte sealent - if you do, I wouldn't do more than a second coat.)

As to why your paints ended up on another figure, my only questions would be what materials are you using and how much time did you wait between use.

I'm hoping you all just used Primer, Acrylic Paint and than something to seal the paint job with. I can't comment on Enamels as they were always frowned on with mini painting and mostly used for model cars and plans.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony bristow
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Personally I used a high end fine primer (for plastic minis) and will be painting with acrylic only no enamels here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tony if you primed your minis a few days ago they should be more than ready to paint. Most guides and even cans of primer (especially for mini's) say that you should wait 24 hours. In my experience you can wait as little as 1 to 2. You just have to keep in mind that your primer may be a bit "soft" and depending on how "saturated" your figure is with primer, you run the risk of ruining your brush.

Yes I've painted mini's within an hour of priming. I've also painted them within the 24 hour wait. I've never washed them out with soap, not saying you shouldn't, just never saw reason to (and this goes back to the days of Heroquest and the first edition of Space Hulk.)

If you're the impatient kind, do try to wait an hour at the least, but if you do, see how "tacky" the primer is. if you can touch the base and notice that you leave a finger print imprint, your primer still needs some drying to do. Go do something else. If you can touch it and it doesn't feel sticky or tacky than you're good to go.

If you're painting games workshop minis (or any mini which may have a "tab" or slotta base) I highly suggest getting some locking forceps, especially if you're the impatient type OR even have large hands. They help with holding your figure so much better from the bottom, and nobody will see the teeth mark left by the forceps.

If you don't have a "slotta" base mini than wrap the forceps teeth lightly with some tape. chances are if your base is a solid piece of metal, you should be able to grip the figure and the teeth shouldn't dig into the figure and primer. If you don't care, don't worry about the tape and just use the forceps as is. I think you should be able to get some in a fishing section of say your local Walmart for example.

Ok I think I've given more than enough info. lol
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tony bristow
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm good to go thanks,Great info there.
I have painted hero quest minis before as well.
My method wash minis with soapy water let dry 24 hours,Prime 24-48 hours,Paint with acrylic let dry 24-48 hours,then do a covering coat with a matte finish.Time is not an issue for me to wait...LOL

I think what the other guys are asking is why is their matte/gloss coats still tacky and not setting up.
I was just curious if this was inherent to the LNOE minis as they are a rubbery type material and I'm primed and ready to go?
My primer is good(not tacky) and I've never had the problem with the finishing that these guys are experiencing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Olp

Manitowoc
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All of the figures I've ever painted have gotten sticky, also. At first I only noticed it with my LNOE figures, but then I went back to my repainted HeroScape figures, and those were also sticky.

I've asked other figure painters much more experienced than I, and they've all said they've never heard of something like that!

So I dunno what's wrong. The matte spray finish I'm using was about $8, so it's not an extremely cheap brand. And my figures are being ruined from the dust (And other figures...) sticking to them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The material that the actual figure is made of should not effect the paint job. if you used primer, the primer is coating the figure. Coating the primer is your acrylic paint. Coating your paint should be your sealer.

I've never heard of an object effecting primer in a negative manner. However I'm curious as to the name and brand of sealent

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Johnson
United States
Harrogate
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've noticed with other figures (both metal and plastic) that even high quality sealer can be ruined by humidity. I used to spray minis outside, then leave them outside to dry, but that caused the sealer to cloud up and stay tacky. When I sprayed them outside, but brought them inside to dry, the sealer "set" properly...

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ronald Tang
United States
Honolulu
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
spudz777 wrote:
I've noticed with other figures (both metal and plastic) that even high quality sealer can be ruined by humidity. I used to spray minis outside, then leave them outside to dry, but that caused the sealer to cloud up and stay tacky. When I sprayed them outside, but brought them inside to dry, the sealer "set" properly...

Good luck!

And there we (may) have it folks! The culprit is humidity!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick McInally
Canada
Simcoe (Norfolk)
Ontario
flag msg tools
When playing a game, the goal is to win, but it is the goal that is important, not the winning
badge
Rust monsters: separating the wheat from the chaff since 1976.
mbmbmbmbmb
It has been very humid in Kingston lately...

I hope I haven't inadvertently ruined your minis with bad advice, Joey. If so, I'll see what I can do to replace them.

(I should note that none of my minis that I've painted are at all tacky, and I did all the same things you did except I used a matte finish in the end. I also painted mostly during the winter and spring, so humidity wouldn't have been as high here.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Olp

Manitowoc
Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That makes sense... But is very unfortunate because I'm in Wisconsin and it's almost ALWAYS humid here.... *Sigh...*

Haha... I'll have to watch the weather, now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.