Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
Check out my game, Atlantis Rising! :)
mb
Ok, so I'm getting this game next week, but I'm anxious NOW! Get some more pictures up, people who have it already!

Galen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
AWESOME! Thank you so much for doing this!

Galen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John smith
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
hmmm this brings me to evaluate the cards at first glance. "high tier" cards seem to be
damsel
trickster
noble
mecenary
general
and fairy
although it is to soon to tell these seem to have the most powerful abilities

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D a v i d B u r k e y
United States
Fort Smith
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I'm a mole man!
badge
I never let schooling interfere with my education...
mbmbmbmbmb
My thanks as well for posting these. Being a trickster with a market would be pretty sweet! On first glance, the paladin and minstrel appear to be the weakest characters, but not tremendously so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Is is just me or does the Architect just horribly pale in comparison to the noble? 5 VP conditionally vs 6 VP period? Hmmmm...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Likewise, the Thief seems just awful compared to the Miner. I mean, I guess having 4 gold up front is more useful than 5 gold over the course of the game, but I don't think it's worth -3 VP (and losing the initial resource, which essentially means you're only getting 3 extra goods).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sochan

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I edited to include the Destiny cards. I made no mistake in copying duplicates; there are two copies of the card The King Is Sick

There's also a blank character card as well (though some might call it the Invisible Man advisor).

At the start of the game, 3 governor cards are randomly dealt to each player. That player choose one and discards the other two.

Alternatively, players may choose to bid for governor cards. 1 + X (where X = number of players) governor cards are selected face down.The first card is revealed, and the bid starts at 0 Victory Points. Bidding ends when all players have passed, and then it moves on to the next card.

I admit some of the governor cards might not always work. I ended up ditching the Heiress and the Duke going for the Politician, and I rolled at least a 1 in nearly every production season. One of my opponent choose the Prince and rolled a total of 9 more often than 8 and less. But even with those setbacks, it was a really close game with that player winning the game by one point and myself with another player (who had the General) tying for second.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Architect has the added of benefit of letting you build more than once per season, if other players are ahead of you. This helps ensure that you will get the extra VP during Phase 3.

Weak characters:
The Thief is the only one I think is really bad (especially compared to the Miner).
The Princess seems weak, but maybe denying the other players their Free good at the start of the game makes a big difference.
The Sorcerer seems weak, you wouldn't use him to build the Statue, and you will usually have built most of the other 1st column buildings by Year III. (Edit: Oops, I forgot that the building sheet has 7 rows now. Maybe the Sorcerer is fine)
I'm not sure if I would want the Priest either. It helps all players roughly equally, and you only get a very minor benefit if you happen to roll a 1 or 2.

Most of the others seem balanced to me (worth roughly 5-7 Goods/VPs per game).

The Events are all neat. I will have to see how much they really affect the outcome of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
SockHandPuppet wrote:
I edited to include the Destiny cards. I made no mistake in copying duplicates; there are two copies of the card The King Is Sick

Thank you so much! This is great to be able to have a discussion before actually getting the expansion next week!

I agree the Priest is a bit weak, but I'd choose him just for the fun factor of everyone rolling 4 dice every season That would be a crazy game!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
This is awesome! Can't wait to get my hands on this. Thanks for posting all the cards. I agree with Galen that the Priest may be quite fun, especially in a 5 person game. One issue that might creep up in that game is the analysis paralysis- of course a 5 person game will run long anyways.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sochan

Rhode Island
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RE: More Photos
I ended up playing with the Priest yesterday with my playgroup, discarding the Architect and the Preacher. It was a lot of fun using him because I used his power every single productive season (I was way in the lead in the early years of the game because I was able to roll 1's and 2's on the white die). I was somewhat disliked in that game because some players had the alternative building tracks with the Griffin Ranch, the University, and/or Altar. To top it off, one player had the Philosopher governor card. In the end, I came in second.

The other cards in play were the Minstrel, General, and Miner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrea Chiarvesio
Italy
Torino
Piemonte
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for your comments guys!

Indeed, it's funny to see that the Governors that look the weakest are amongst the ones we had more trouble in balancing them since the playtests were showing them as being too powerful.

The Sorcerer, played well, gives you 4-6 VP, plus the power of the buildings... not that bad, in our humble opinion.

The Princess... she's a real pain in the... ahem... to the other players (unless, they're for instance the Thief that just doesn't care... some Governors powers need to be judged by their interactions too). For sure she has a jump start but yes, it may not be that easy to keep the advantage to the end, since after the first spring she is just a regular governor with no other powers.

As for the Priest, the guy is not there just for fun. A few hints: go farming (or vineyard), then stop giving away white dice to the other players and see... if you feel bold, go for a farm/embassy combo and start making 2/3 extra vp every season... whistle

Anyway, we really look forward for gaming sessions, so please write them if you have time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Heaton
Canada
Victoria
BC
flag msg tools
Come back Bale...
badge
In 'Arry we trust!
mbmbmbmb
The thief does look weak, considering one card gives you +6VP, does 4 gold and (-3VP) equate to 9VP at the start of the game? I'm sure it does and you've playtested this, interesting to see how the extra cash gives you an advantage.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
The post containing images of every card in the game has been removed at the request of the publisher.

-MMM
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Octavian wrote:
The post containing images of every card in the game has been removed at the request of the publisher.

-MMM

Suppose that's understandable Not trying to start trouble, I'm just honestly curious - why is it OK to post pictures like the one below (all Dominion: Intrigue cards) in a game's photo gallery, but not in a post?

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/513798

Thanks,
Galen

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mbmbmbmbmb
Our policy is to remove scans of content when the rights holder complains. If the rights holder for the Dominion: Intrigue cards makes a similar request we would comply.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Galen Ciscell
United States
Auburn
WA
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Ah, that makes sense. Thanks for the quick reply!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.