Steven Poelzing
United States
Salt Lake City
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
First question: Can you only fight one battle per round? For example, I have three armies capable of fighting a battle in three separate provinces. Do I choose only one province for the battle?

Second question: Can you move more than one army a round? The rules seem to indicate that you can move as many armies as are capable of moving. This rule seems completely at odds thematically with an inability to do any other actions in multiple provinces in a round like buy influence and presumably fight only one battle per round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rusty McFisticuffs
United States
Arcata
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spoelzing wrote:
First question: Can you only fight one battle per round? For example, I have three armies capable of fighting a battle in three separate provinces. Do I choose only one province for the battle?

The way I read it, no. The action is "Land Battle," not "Land Battles," and the first paragraph under "Declare" says "He declares the battle location, and which player's units he is attacking," not "locations" or "players' units," etc. I don't see anything suggesting you can fight more than one battle as a single action.

spoelzing wrote:
Second question: Can you move more than one army a round? The rules seem to indicate that you can move as many armies as are capable of moving.

"First, the player must select a single province..." What are you seeing which suggests you can move multiple armies?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave and Gwen Fogel
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kuhrusty wrote:
spoelzing wrote:

The way I read it, no. The action is "Land Battle," not "Land Battles," and the first paragraph under "Declare" says "He declares the battle location, and which player's units he is attacking," not "locations" or "players' units," etc. I don't see anything suggesting you can fight more than one battle as a single action.

Agreed

spoelzing wrote:
Second question: Can you move more than one army a round? The rules seem to indicate that you can move as many armies as are capable of moving.This rule seems completely at odds thematically with an inability to do any other actions in multiple provinces in a round like buy influence and presumably fight only one battle per round.

You can move multiple UNITS from a single province with a leader. Those units can travel to different provinces even if there is no leader at the destination. I think the rule works thematically because there is ONE leader at the origin point saying "YOU go there and YOU should go over there and I'll go with a third group to there! TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL!!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lazy Literati wrote:
kuhrusty wrote:
spoelzing wrote:

Agreed

spoelzing wrote:
Second question: Can you move more than one army a round? The rules seem to indicate that you can move as many armies as are capable of moving.This rule seems completely at odds thematically with an inability to do any other actions in multiple provinces in a round like buy influence and presumably fight only one battle per round.

You can move multiple UNITS from a single province with a leader. Those units can travel to different provinces even if there is no leader at the destination. I think the rule works thematically because there is ONE leader at the origin point saying "YOU go there and YOU should go over there and I'll go with a third group to there! TONIGHT WE DINE IN HELL!!"

I "second" and "third" the above posters. We use the expression for land movement "From-One-to-Many," to describe the way it works. We also use the term "activate a province" to indicate where movement originates, or where battle will be fought, as in which SINGLE province. Although I believe if there are two enemy forces sharing the same province as your forces, you might be able to fight both - we do not play that way per our "house 'clarifications'" but that might open to debate.

Have fun!...this game is awesome! My game group is playing Game#7 of CotE2 with [7] players on Sat 8/22/'09.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
spoelzing wrote:

Second question: Can you move more than one army a round? The rules seem to indicate that you can move as many armies as are capable of moving. This rule seems completely at odds thematically with an inability to do any other actions in multiple provinces in a round like buy influence and presumably fight only one battle per round.

Aftrer re-reading your post and the responses, I would like to add something else. A round consists of two actions for every player. The only action that I know of (without the rule book in front of me) that is limited to One-per-Round is the "Draw Conquest Card" action. In a round a player could move twice, two separate movements following all applicable rules, in the same turn, or player's part of the round. This will sometimes be done by the same Army that must move into a province with hostile/un-allied land combat units, stop there ending the movement/action, then move again OUT of that same province, on the same TURN, which is the single players part of the ROUND.

Yes, TWO battles MAY be fought in the same round, as a player's TURN has TWO actions in the player's turn in a single round. Fighting two battles would exhaust the two-action limit of actions per player turn, so at the end of the 2nd battle, the players turn would be over for the round. The key though is that obviously the Army or Armies, would have to be pre-positioned for battle at the beginning of the player's turn in that round. To avoid confusion, I would recommend not mixing the term "round" with player actions, but I would suggest using player TURN with Player Actions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.