Orlando Ramirez
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just came across "self adhesive foam core board and thought I'd pass along this product. I haven't tried it yet, I haven't purchased from this store inparticular, just using the link to show an example. A google search for "self adhesive foam core" should lead you to other places to buy.

I always read about people mounting to foam core, and this product should eliminate the "spRay adhesive" step, which is a nightmare for my hairy arms.

http://www.framesforcheap.com/products/perfect-mount-foam-co...

Edit: Spray, not SPAY !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C Lloyd
United States
North Reading
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dirkgent001 wrote:
"spay adhesive" step

Ew. I don't even wanna think about what comprises this step. gulp
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Crane
United States
Orem
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
which is a nightmare for my hairy arms.

That would be an awesome title for a geeklist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Bentley
United States
Cleburne
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clloyd09 wrote:
dirkgent001 wrote:
"spay adhesive" step

Ew. I don't even wanna think about what comprises this step. gulp

Well, if you DO get it on your hairy arms, just quickly rip it off. Then you'll be "nudered"....

Sorry....

jrbentley
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I must admit I find foam core board much less appealing than nice thick dense art cardboard (which frequently comes with a nice linen colour on the reverse side). The self-adhesive part is easy to do by printing onto labels.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Ramirez
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I must admit I find foam core board much less appealing than nice thick dense art cardboard

I agree with that, but I still haven't found a good source for decent thickness cardboard. I'm looking for something along the thickness of the backs of a pad of paper.

I found this:

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/Home-gift/Medium-Weight-Chip...

But I don't know if that's thick enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here, a local art supplies shop sells large (at least 60cm x 1m) pieces of it that are easy enough to cut up to make several game boards. Hinges on the linen side are easy with PVC glue and cloth ribbon, the front side under the label can be done with heavy packing tape.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Everts
United States
Foothill Ranch
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
"Nobody gets me. I'm the wind, baby!" - Tom Servo
badge
"Push the button, Frank!"
mbmbmbmbmb
I used it on my Ogre oversized build-

The board was printed on two 11x17 sheets, surface laminated, then stuck on the self adhesive foamcore.

I had to do this map twice since my first attempt didn't stick well. With the 3 mil lamination the paper tended to curl up and the sticky surface really wasn't that sticky. So what I did was use Elmer's Extra Strength Glue Stick and went around the entire edge with it. This extra glue really helped keep the artwork down.

Even if you don't laminate the surface I recommend the extra glue since the glue they use isn't very sticky.

EDIT- I got the foamcore at Michaels Arts And Crafts store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steven Metzger
United States
Knoxville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The OP's link and the Barnes & Noble link don't specify thickness of the board - for me, this is critical because I am looking at 2mm foam sheet as a mounting surface.

Furthermore, what's the best adhesive that you guys have found? Right now I'm using a "glue pen" but I've read tutorials talking of spray glues and was wondering what people suggest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Ramirez
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've always found the "3M Super 77" to work best.

http://www.insidepool.com/order/images/3MSU77.jpg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
True, but self-adhesive sheets you can spray varnish over afterwards seem, to me, to be less messy having done things both ways.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David H
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought 8.5 x 11 sticker paper for my inkjet printer. It was photo quality that I then applied to card stock to make supplemental counters for the 6 player variant of puerto rico. It could easily be applied to other products of different thickness depending on your requirements.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spaceman wrote:
I bought 8.5 x 11 sticker paper for my inkjet printer. It was photo quality that I then applied to card stock to make supplemental counters for the 6 player variant of puerto rico. It could easily be applied to other products of different thickness depending on your requirements.

It's worth noting that to do this properly (without irritation) it's helpful to have both A4 and Letter (8.5 x 11") size label paper to avoid suffering when you get a document made up by someone in the other camp. I'm going to have to pick up some letter label paper when I'm in the US next week.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark M

Indiana
msg tools
My name is Mark and I own framesforcheap.com. The self-adhessive board that I sell is called perfect mount. It comes in 3/16" foam core and on a single thick board that is like a mat board, slightly thicker than a "chip board".

Perfect Mount is reposition-able until you apply firm pressure then it is permanent. You have a second chance to position what you want to mount.

On my website you will find a variety of sizes meant for photographers and artists. If you have a common size not listed, I would be more than happy to offer it. Check a similar size for basic pricing.

Mark
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
framesforcheap wrote:
My name is Mark and I own framesforcheap.com. The self-adhessive board that I sell is called perfect mount. It comes in 3/16" foam core and on a single thick board that is like a mat board, slightly thicker than a "chip board".

Perfect Mount is reposition-able until you apply firm pressure then it is permanent. You have a second chance to position what you want to mount.

On my website you will find a variety of sizes meant for photographers and artists. If you have a common size not listed, I would be more than happy to offer it. Check a similar size for basic pricing.

Mark

This seems like a very useful product for DIY game building. With sizes ranging from 4"x6" ($0.75) to 24"x36" ($22.02), this would work perfectly for cutting out counters and tiles or even entire game boards.

Thanks for posting, Mark.

One question: what color is the board?

(Edit: I did some researching. The board is either white or black. Also, it is available in sizes up to 32"x40" in some places.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Ramirez
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should be getting some of these soon and will report back on the quality,ease of use..etc. I personally really hate using spray mount, but I know its great stuff so I'm hoping this is my new alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm unconvinced about foam-core as a nice material. Compared to matting cardboard, say.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Valenze
United States
Springfield
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have had good luck with adhesive backed vinyl floor tiles.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
I'm unconvinced about foam-core as a nice material. Compared to matting cardboard, say.

This Perfect Mount is available in two thicknesses of mat board in addition to foamcore (which I also dislike for game purposes). It is the self-adhesive mat board that I find interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Ramirez
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:

This Perfect Mount is available in two thicknesses of mat board in addition to foamcore (which I also dislike for game purposes). It is the self-adhesive mat board that I find interesting.

I agree with Nick here. The matte board is the stuff that most of us will find useful, but I know there are some people who prefer foam core for certain uses. I'm getting the self adhesive matte board from them, but also got a piece of the foam core to see how it compares adhesion wise and ease of use..etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just get a xyron - you don't need any spray and can handle odd sized jobs and any paper-like media. The thickest I have used is about 3mm.

The only downside is that they discontinued the adhesive/laminate combination, so there is no single sided lamination any more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Kollross
Canada
Carvel
Alberta
flag msg tools
designer
Pew pew pew!!!
badge
I'm a member of the Game Artisans of Canada
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
Just get a xyron - you don't need any spray and can handle odd sized jobs and any paper-like media. The thickest I have used is about 3mm.

The only downside is that they discontinued the adhesive/laminate combination, so there is no single sided lamination any more.

You can still run two sheets back to back, seperate the two by trimming the outside edges and then running them through for the adhesive. I really NEED one of these machines.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MK-Ultra71 wrote:
martimer wrote:

You can still run two sheets back to back, seperate the two by trimming the outside edges and then running them through for the adhesive. I really NEED one of these machines.

It has changed my life. Sad, but true. If h thin could correct typs, I would be complt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.