Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Walter Poelzing
United States
Midvale
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
I just would like people to give me their opinion on how the game functions.

I find it much more strategic and almost a waist of space as far as the non-victory point valued provinces.

Yet, the senate vote concept is a very cool mechanic and I like the fact that even if your armies are small you can sneak in and get some "quick" points with the special tax, to keep you in the game.

Anyone else have a thought on this?

Also one game mechanic question. On one round can you have only one battle? Or do you suppose after the move phase you can have multiple battles?

Or does 2 battles count as 2 actions during the round?

The rules are lousy on this stuff.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MathDude wrote:
I just would like people to give me their opinion on how the game functions.

I find it much more strategic and almost a waist of space as far as the non-victory point valued provinces.

Yet, the senate vote concept is a very cool mechanic and I like the fact that even if your armies are small you can sneak in and get some "quick" points with the special tax, to keep you in the game.

Anyone else have a thought on this?

Also one game mechanic question. On one round can you have only one battle? Or do you suppose after the move phase you can have multiple battles?

Or does 2 battles count as 2 actions during the round?

The rules are lousy on this stuff.

No, to your first point, Non-VP provinces are very important for use as "blocking" positions to prevent large armies from moving into your key provinces and annihilating you, when your army is small. Although of course all they really do is slow them down, but strategically that is quite enough!

One Battle = ONE action, there are TWO actions per player turn, all of the player's turns equal one round. The way we read it (and I apologize I don't have the rule book in front of me), is a player may use both of their player actions for BATTLE, which would mean fighting two separate battles, however that would end their turn as that will use up their limit of two actions in a turn. One Battle = Battle in ONE Province, it would require another Action to fight a second Battle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
popi dbk
Croatia
flag msg tools
sorry can somebody be more precise on this actions...
example I chose land movement as my 1 st. action (mean that i do movementS with units on all board- many of them if i want and have enough army with generals to send them or move with them of course keeping movement rules) 2 nd. action I choose battle...or battleS ( does it mean that i can attack in Napoli...and in same second action with other before pre-positioned army do second battle in egyptus and third in dalmatia ).

one more please...

do i need a general or cesar to retreat, and can i retreat without 1 round of battle....

thanks in advance Popi.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
popi acmil wrote:
sorry can somebody be more precise on this actions...
example I chose land movement as my 1 st. action (mean that i do movementS with units on all board- many of them if i want and have enough army with generals to send them or move with them of course keeping movement rules) 2 nd. action I choose battle...or battleS ( does it mean that i can attack in Napoli...and in same second action with other before pre-positioned army do second battle in egyptus and third in dalmatia ).

one more please...

do i need a general or cesar to retreat, and can i retreat without 1 round of battle....

thanks in advance Popi.

Hi, regarding this:

popi acmil wrote:
(mean that i do movementS with units on all board- many of them if i want and have enough army with generals to send them or move with them of course keeping movement rules)

...Not exactly, when you choose movement as one of your two actions, you select One Province, and you may move from "One to Many" - this is the expression we have come to use, it means you can move units from a single Province (the "one") to any other legal movement Province, you may disperse these units to multiple separate provinces in any combination you wish (the "many").

When you choose Battle as your an Action, either first or second, that means a single Battle in One Province.

A Leader/General is not necessary to Retreat, but you must suffer at least one full combat round, and then a player may decide to retreat.

This is a really great game, I'm sad it seems people have stopped playing it. It is very well designed, unique, and has depth of strategy without being too complicated. We did use a few house rules though, mostly around combat and naval movement, and the last time we played, we were going to institute a new house rule that either Aegyptus or Achaia must always be available in the first round, to create a more realistic "Non-Rome" victory strategy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
popi dbk
Croatia
flag msg tools

Thank you on response...this is realy great game and we are company of 10 people which play frequently...have more then first 15 games to standarised the rules..but still have confrotations with some players about some rules...we try not to change rules yet...maybe after 50 games...but still not sure about some situations...

1. senate vote... can you (when) biding change a votes..mean if put 7...III + IV..and after change I +II+IV ?

2. black for his 2 nd. action attack red in italy and red loose...take 2 CP and cesar must rethreat to any non occupied teritorry..black has no more actions and can not buy red influance...then after red came back with his cesar in italy for his 1 st. action and for 2 nd. one buy army in italy.... is all this regulary ?

3. black for his 1 st. action chose movement from hispania....he has there 6 inf. and general...then he moves....1 inf. to italy (folowing clear path...no enemy military units on the road) 1 inf. to narbonesis...1 inf to naples...2 inf. to achia and a last 1 gen. to numidia...is this correct 1 st. action movement...

4. battle and alliances....red and blue are in alliance against black and green...then red chose to attack black...green agre to give units for black..and battle started...black is loosing...must he moves from the game first his units then after loosing all of it moves out green units, or can chose which units to move off blac or green...and after if he loose all black units can continue battle with remaining green units...

thanks in advance popi...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
popi acmil wrote:

Thank you on response...this is realy great game and we are company of 10 people which play frequently...have more then first 15 games to standarised the rules..but still have confrotations with some players about some rules...we try not to change rules yet...maybe after 50 games...but still not sure about some situations...

1. senate vote... can you (when) biding change a votes..mean if put 7...III + IV..and after change I +II+IV ?

2. black for his 2 nd. action attack red in italy and red loose...take 2 CP and cesar must rethreat to any non occupied teritorry..black has no more actions and can not buy red influance...then after red came back with his cesar in italy for his 1 st. action and for 2 nd. one buy army in italy.... is all this regulary ?

3. black for his 1 st. action chose movement from hispania....he has there 6 inf. and general...then he moves....1 inf. to italy (folowing clear path...no enemy military units on the road) 1 inf. to narbonesis...1 inf to naples...2 inf. to achia and a last 1 gen. to numidia...is this correct 1 st. action movement...

4. battle and alliances....red and blue are in alliance against black and green...then red chose to attack black...green agre to give units for black..and battle started...black is loosing...must he moves from the game first his units then after loosing all of it moves out green units, or can chose which units to move off blac or green...and after if he loose all black units can continue battle with remaining green units...

thanks in advance popi...

Your Items:

1. This is a bid system for voting, so there is no reason that you could not alter your cards for equivalent value. The rules do require a player to place his vote bid in cards face up in front of him, so I can see where some players would interpret that as not allowing you to change the cards, even if the bid value is the same because you are bidding; ie "voting," with specific Senators (cards).
2. Yes, this is all legal, as long as the Red players has both at least one Influence Token in the province, and a Leader, and it sounds like Red does since he came with his Caesar and already had Influence Tokens there before. Move = 1 action, Recruit = 1 action; total 2 Actions
3. Yes, this is a legal move action (I'm not looking at the game board so I'm assuming that all of the paths are legal).
4. If the Green player, acting in an alliance with the Black player, lends his units to Black, the units lent are in the direct control of the Black player, and the Black player may choose to take all of the initial casualties from his Green ally first, then take his own Black units as casualties last, or any combination. This arrangement lasts until the specific battle is over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
popi dbk
Croatia
flag msg tools
whoow...thanks for realy quick answer we are now starting to play 6 of us..we supposed all of this...but still remain the question about movement..when you choose to move let say 4 military units and 1 general from italia to 3 different provinces...(normal to follow all movement rules..clear paths no enemy units on the road....no enemy galeys if crossing straits-arrows..etc)......GENERAL sending 2 inf. to hispania and 2 inf. to numidia...then HE moves alone to egyptus..in sam 1 st. action movement..what i mean..if he sending those units to many provinces...can he go alone also to another one in same action...

thanks again...and i go to win tonight..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Leader, either a General or "you" the Caesar piece, may move alone from that starting province, while sending all other units into many different directions.

Good luck, this is a fabulous (and underappreciated) game, one of my absolute favorites!

(SFRR)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
popi dbk
Croatia
flag msg tools
thank you..we play in that way...game is perfect..lot of strategis to win..depends of many parameters wich strategis to chose..one more question from tonight..
defending the city...defender roll dice first and have one adittion for city..NOW is defender chose wich units attacker moves out...because in standard battle (without a city) attacker rolls first then defender..and both of them chose own casaulties..but in city situations defender roll first and WHO choses wich attacker units will be moved out...

can you sugest any similiar game like this because friends want to have it at home "when we go to play on away pitch" every familiy want to have one ggame at home..

thanks on realy qucik response

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Randolph
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
popi acmil wrote:
thank you..we play in that way...game is perfect..lot of strategis to win..depends of many parameters wich strategis to chose..one more question from tonight..
defending the city...defender roll dice first and have one adittion for city..NOW is defender chose wich units attacker moves out...because in standard battle (without a city) attacker rolls first then defender..and both of them chose own casaulties..but in city situations defender roll first and WHO choses wich attacker units will be moved out...

can you sugest any similiar game like this because friends want to have it at home "when we go to play on away pitch" every familiy want to have one ggame at home..

thanks on realy qucik response

When defending from a Walled City, the defender rolls first in each combat round, the attackers casualties are removed first, before the attacker rolls combat dice, however, all players choose which of their units are taken as casualties. It would be the attacker, to answer your question, who would decide which of their own units are removed as the result of hits taken from the defender.

The only other game I could recommend that would be similar, would be Ikusa (used to be known as "Shogun" or "Samurai Swords"). I don't know of that many Roman Civil War games that play like "Conquest of the Empire II."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.