Dominion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Card ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John R.

Central Ohio
msg tools
mb
Here's a few card ideas. My point of reference is the original Dominion game (I don't own/haven't played Intrigue), but I am pretty certain there is compatibility and no overlap with the Intrigue expansion decks. My apologies if these ideas were already discussed before. I did not thoroughly research the forums before posting and any similarities are not intentional.

Folks on here can be pretty critical (which is both good and bad). So I'd like to point out that these cards are solely conceptual. They have not been play-tested and they don't follow conventional Dominion card naming (seems all in the original game are either a person or place). I was more excited about sharing my general ideas than having cards that were retail ready. And yes my Photoshop-ing was a little rushed. But you get the point.

Self explanatory. You get to draw 5 more cards and play again. Card can not be throne-roomed because it is discarded at the end of the clean-up phase.

To me, I'd like to see a few more action cards that include interaction with Victory cards. Maybe this goes against the nature of Victory cards in the game, but it would definitely add another element. Another variation of this card would read something like the Thief or Spy where cards would be revealed and trashed out of your draw pile instead of your hand.

I like the concept of this card but to make it fully functional it needs a condition and value if the witch is not in play. Opponents have choice of trashing their Curse cards since the person playing the card would be in a position to gain Silver for each Curse trashed. I might consider changing it to gain Gold instead of Silver as an added incentive to buy the card during the game and this would also cause opponents to think twice about the "price to pay" for trashing their Curses.

Hope you all enjoy...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Carter
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Apparition seems like it would break the game in a deck that could draw every card each turn (like most Chapel-based decks, or other draw engines). A player with a deck like that could end up taking multiple turns in a row and just completely run away with the game. It might be more balanced if it trashed itself in addition to granting an extra turn.

Siege seems interesting, in that you could end up getting a lot of victory points (and even cards like Harem or Nobles, which are useful during the game), but run the risk of clogging up your deck with Estates while giving your opponents the chance to dump them. I'd be interested to see how that tested out.

I like Repentance, and the way it forces opponents into a difficult choice. To give it value when there is no Witch or Torturer on the board, I wonder if you could change it to something like "Each player may trash up to two cards. For each opponent that does this, gain a Gold." This would still force a difficult choice, but would provide a benefit even with no Curses being gained.

Overall, very cool ideas for cards. Siege and Repentance seem like they'd fit especially well with the cards in the current mix.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RiotNrrrd wrote:
Self explanatory. You get to draw 5 more cards and play again. Card can not be throne-roomed because it is discarded at the end of the clean-up phase.

Feast is trashed immediately and you still get the benefit of the second play. If you want to limit it to one extra turn at a time, you would need to put it on the card, so it would also limit playing multiple copies of this card in a turn. That presents its own problems. The biggest problem I would see with this card is that if someone has a Chapel deck that allows him to draw his whole deck every turn, he could end up with an unlimited number of turns.

Quote:
To me, I'd like to see a few more action cards that include interaction with Victory cards. Maybe this goes against the nature of Victory cards in the game, but it would definitely add another element. Another variation of this card would read something like the Thief or Spy where cards would be revealed and trashed out of your draw pile instead of your hand.

I think you might like the Saboteur from Intrigue.

Quote:
I like the concept of this card but to make it fully functional it needs a condition and value if the witch is not in play. Opponents have choice of trashing their Curse cards since the person playing the card would be in a position to gain Silver for each Curse trashed. I might consider changing it to gain Gold instead of Silver as an added incentive to buy the card during the game and this would also cause opponents to think twice about the "price to pay" for trashing their Curses.

There are many more ways of getting Curses in Intrigue. However, as written it could definitely be a problem in some setups. Why not just allow opponents to trash any card, not just curses. It's an interesting concept, but I think it would be difficult to balance properly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffwolfe wrote:
RiotNrrrd wrote:

There are many more ways of getting Curses in Intrigue. However, as written it could definitely be a problem in some setups. Why not just allow opponents to trash any card, not just curses. It's an interesting concept, but I think it would be difficult to balance properly.

Suggestion: Each other player must trash one card from his hand. For each Curse trashed, you gain a Gold; for each other card trashed, you gain a Silver.

If it's an attack, you want it to be mandatory (otherwise, there's no need to play a Moat against it). This approach has the secondary benefit of making people think twice about trashing a Curse.

If it's too powerful (e.g., in a 4P game without a Moat, it gives you a minimum of three new Silver every time you play it), consider requiring the player to trash the card when used, i.e., Trash this card. Each other player must trash one card from his hand. For each Curse trashed, you gain a Gold; for each other card trashed, you gain a Silver.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K. Bailey
United States
Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RiotNrrrd wrote:
Here's a few card ideas.
(FWIW I think it's easier to discuss them if you include the text of what they do in the message rather than a separate image. Also it helps if the wording is very clear... I can guess what Siege's "the Attacked players" means but it makes no sense read literally.)

Quote:
Apparition. Cost 6. Action. "At end of cleanup phase, repeat turn."
The possibility of a never-ending turn cycle is very bad. It's also just not that fun to watch someone take an extra turn in the first place.

What you usually get out of an extra turn is another Buy. Workshop is like "Take an extra turn in which you only get 4 coins." That's a fairly crap turn; a card that gives you a genuine extra turn with no penalty is probably too good. I'd suggest nerfing it or breaking it down into something simpler.

Quote:
Siege. Cost 4. Action-Attack. "The attacked players must show their hand and trash a Victory of their choosing. You may gain any of these cards from the trash pile
Seems like basically an okay idea, but way too strong. If you start getting hit by two of these in a turn, you'll have a very hard time keeping any Victory cards in your deck. If you limit it to 1 hit possible per turn (e.g. "Players with 5 or more cards in hand..."), it seems possible to adjust a strategy to deal with that, though it's still a strong attack.

Scaling problem with 3+ players.

Quote:
Repentance. Cost 4. Action. "Each opponent may trash any number of Curses currently held in their hand. Opponents may draw to replace each trashed Curse. Gain 1 Silver for each Curse trashed by an opponent."

I don't think decisions like this--each player deciding "How much should I help myself when I know it will benefit you?"--work too well as explicit card things. In general, they slow the game down. There's a possibility of timing problems like standoffs ("If I knew Alice was going to do it I wouldn't have." "Well if you didn't do it I wouldn't have either") that have to be resolved by wonky timing rules in the rulebook or written on the card making things sequential by default and thus even slower. Often the choice is a bit bogus anyway, but easy to overthink, which makes the card a trap for AP players. It also can create a feeling of kingmaking or politics ("Why'd you help him?!"). So usually the card plays better if you force a decision, which moves the tradeoff into the strategic choice to buy or use the card itself.

There are other problems with this card. It doesn't add Curses by itself. Even if it did add Curses, it lets other players ignore them, so it boils down to something like "Gain 2 Silvers". So it should probably have them discard or reveal, not trash. Though even replacing them with draws is a bit nice.

Variant that comes to mind: "You may either give all other players a Curse, or have all other players to reveal their hands. If you do the latter, gain X for each Curse in the hand of the player with the most Curses."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Leung
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Apparition
I have thought of similar cards.
To be balance, I agree to some of the posters that you need to trash it.
In order to prevent multiple use, you should word it like Mining Village.
"Trash this card. If you do, you can play one turn after this one."

So if you throne room the card, it would work like Mining Village:
the first copy, you will trash it, and gain 1 turn after it; the second copy, because you cannot trash the card again, you will not gain the if-then effect for the second part.

Also, the card has to clearly states that you only get ONE turn after this. In case of Village, Apparition, Apparition play, you don't get more than 1 turn.

I like the Siege card. Sweet and simple. And I agree to above posters too, word it more like the style of the game.
Here's my attempt:

"Each other player trashes a Victory card (or reveals a hand with no Victory card). You may gain any of the trashed card."

Repentance
As oppose to some of the suggestions above, I am against gaining a Gold card. Gold card is the second best card after Province; no amount of trashing will worth for you to gain a Gold. Silver seems about right.

I would reduce the cost of the card by 2 and +1 action to it. Since your opponent gets to choose, most often than not you will gain nothing. That will cost you to waste an action completely.

Also, another potential problem with this card is like this:
if there are other trashing options, i.e. Steward, Chapel, Trading Post, etc, your opponent will never want your trash option to them. 1 trash every once in a while is unreliable. Trashing cards is only valuable when you can do it fast and make your deck more reliable.
If there are no trashing options, your opponent still would not want you to dilute your deck for up to 3 silver cards (in a 4 player game) in 1 turn.

Personally, I cannot think of a set up where I would be interested in buying this card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pacheco
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
cheepicus wrote:

Variant that comes to mind: "You may either give all other players a Curse, or have all other players to reveal their hands. If you do the latter, gain X for each Curse in the hand of the player with the most Curses."

This forces the other players to come to an agreement. That kinda falls apart (and for some of the same reasons you've already mentioned)... Perhaps better would be "Each player trashes a curse from their hand. For each curse trashed in this manner, you gain a silver. If a player cannot trash a curse, they reveal their hand. They then gain a curse into their hand."

Or you could do: "Each player may reveal their hand. If not all players reveal their hands, all players gain 1 curse per hand not revealed. You gain 1 Silver per revealed curse." (Or 1 silver per revealed hand which contains at least one curse. Or 1 Silver per curse in the hand revealed which has the most curses...)

These could probably be worded more clearly. Hopefully they're understood.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
max bmx
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
i have a few ideas of my own. one wich comes close to your repentance card

Karma(5)-Action/Attack
+1 Action +2 cards Each other player ganis a curse. you discard 2 cards(after you allready drawn 2 cards). you loose 1 credit for every curse drawn.

Karma makes people think twice before just dishing out the curses. i added a +1 action so that if you really wanted you could play them back to back. everything else that benifits you can come back on you too. hiunts the name Karma.

Baroness(5)-Action
Choos one:
discard an Estate, +4 credit
discard a dutchy, +4 credit +1 buy
discard a province +4 credit +1 buy +1 action
discard all three +4 credit +1 buy +1 action and gain a gold putting it on top of your deck.

Black male(5)-Action/Attack
+1 Buy
Each other player may gain a curse putting it in his hand. or
Trash a curse from his hand and he draws a crad. (to repalce the curse)
you gain 4 credit for every curse trashed.

This card can't give you more then 12 credit even if you played another Black male. 12 is the max per turn from a black male card. but playing another black male may be a stratagy cuz the other players might not have a curse in hand. unless they just grabed one from last black male. lol. once again its a card that makes you think before you play it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stillman
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
Rascool18 wrote:

Black male(5)-Action/Attack
+1 Buy
Trash a curse from his hand and he draws a crad. (to repalce the curse)

This card can't give you more then 12 credit even if you played another Black male. 12 is the max per turn from a black male card. but playing another black male may be a stratagy cuz the other players might not have a curse in hand. unless they just grabed one from last black male. lol. once again its a card that makes you think before you play it.

Do you mean "Blackmail"???

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Pacheco
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Rascool18 wrote:
i have a few ideas of my own. one wich comes close to your repentance card

Karma(5)-Action/Attack
+1 Action +2 cards Each other player ganis a curse. you discard 2 cards(after you allready drawn 2 cards). you loose 1 credit for every curse drawn.

Karma makes people think twice before just dishing out the curses. i added a +1 action so that if you really wanted you could play them back to back. everything else that benifits you can come back on you too. hiunts the name Karma.

This card is too weak for the cost (just give me a witch, and I'll keep the two cards, and find another way to get the actions), and is too good once the curses are gone. (Not for the cost... the cost makes no sense...)

Rascool18 wrote:

Baroness(5)-Action
Choose one:
discard an Estate, +4 credit
discard a dutchy, +4 credit +1 buy
discard a province +4 credit +1 buy +1 action
discard all three +4 credit +1 buy +1 action and gain a gold putting it on top of your deck.

Too awkward... And anyone discarding three (different) victory point cards from their hand very likely has little use for another action (though it would kick serious bum with a library in hand, too...), and 4 credit won't be sufficient to make use of the others benefits... It would take too specific a hand to make this card particularly worth anything...

Rascool18 wrote:

Blackmail(5)-Action/Attack
+1 Buy
Trash a curse from his hand and he draws a card. (to replace the curse)

This card can't give you more then 12 credit even if you played another Blackmail. 12 is the max per turn from a black male card. but playing another blackmail may be a strategy cuz the other players might not have a curse in hand. unless they just grabbed one from last blackmail. lol. once again its a card that makes you think before you play it.

When the curse deck runs out, the card will just be +1 buy, and 5 is too expensive for +1 buy with no other benefits. This pretty much becomes a very expensive dead card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.