Battlestations» Forums » General

Subject: Are we ever going to get a Fantasy Flight quality Battlestations? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I really like the game, but the quality of what goes into the set is, at least in my opinion lacking. Yes, I know I shouldn't be so shallow but when you play games like Arkham Horror, Twlight Imperium, or even non-Fantasy Flight games like Prophecy from Z-Man games you want your games to have fantastic chits and quality boards, etc.

Any chance we're going to see a 2.0 with higher quality production value?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Smith
United States
Duncan
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As it stands right now the base set is $60, and you get a lot of stuff in it. True it is mostly cardboard, but it is pretty good quality material compared to some of the flimsy stuff I've seen over the years.

If they were to go the FFG route in the game components you would probably be looking at a cost between $80 - $100. That price tag would probably scare off some potential buyers, since I have noticed that many people start getting a bit skittish when you start approaching that third digit...

However, if you want to dress up your set you can always buy the official miniatures separately.

Just my .02 credits...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lance McMillan
United States
Lakebay
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Let's see... a FFG quality "Battlestations." That would mean glitzy high-end graphics and a mediocre, dumbed-down revision of the core game that would take everything that was unique about the original "Battlestations" and dump it in the toilet in a quest to make it "mainstream" and "mass-marketable."

Yeah, I'd buy that... shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A lot of what Scott says is on target. What some people don't realize is that Battlestations was a labor of love by two brothers. I'm sure if you can find a sweet deal on creating custom molds for miniatures as well as higher quality parts and pay for it out of pocket (with a friend) versus being a game company that has many years backing it up than yeah sure we'll see a better quality version. However, version 1.0 and 1.1 have to sell and show a profit to the brothers Siadek first to the point where if they reinvested the money we can see better parts and pieces.

Call me crazy, but from what little I read about Fantasy Flight's start with Twilight Imperium , the plastic ships didn't come with the 1st edition game. The 2nd Edition game, produced much later had ships, and they were hard as hell to take out of their sprue. The current third edition is bigger, better and refined. With years of feedback on the parts, pieces and a bit of the game play. To compare a company that has been around for a while and their product that's now going through another cycle to that of another company's first endeavor is really doing both companies a bit of disservice.

If you want to see better parts, support the game now and get more people playing it and its expansions. The bigger it gets, the better chances we'll see better parts. Otherwise, if we don't support the newer companies first...we may not get to see a 2.0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lancer4321 wrote:
Let's see... a FFG quality "Battlestations." That would mean glitzy high-end graphics and a mediocre, dumbed-down revision of the core game that would take everything that was unique about the original "Battlestations" and dump it in the toilet in a quest to make it "mainstream" and "mass-marketable."

Yeah, I'd buy that... shake

Descent. Arkham Horror. Neither of these is either dumbed-down or mediocre, matter of fact Arkham Horror is my favorite game.

as to Tegre, I bought Battlestations, I have it. I complained about a year ago that I can't figure the manual out because how you play the game is almost written out of order. Perhaps they fixed that in the second printing, I don't know. I just know the game has fantastic possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunther Schmidl
Austria
Linz
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
You could (can?) get these at Paradigm Games:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
gschmidl wrote:

Not anymore, Paradigm Games has closed their shop.

They are still available though via the guy who did the casting.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Gallo
United States
O'Fallon
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paulidale wrote:
gschmidl wrote:

Not anymore, Paradigm Games has closed their shop.

They are still available though via the guy who did the casting.

- Pauli

How might on contact this person?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Strauss
Brazil
Brasilia
DF
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's mean. Fancy rulebook maybe eye candy, but after a few reads you'll leave it in the corner. As for game pieces Wolfgang did a suberb job on the resin modules, so can you. You can have almost every race of the game in the four basic professions and several starships and fighers. As with FFG minis they come unpainted. Sure we want better quality on certain games, but if you really like the game you will upgrade it components every time.
Help GG have FFGs budget and one day we will.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
martimer wrote:
How might on contact this person?

I've got his email address but haven't asked for permission to post it publicly so message me and I'll provide.

- Pauli
[edit Feb 2011: I'm not sure he is casting these. ]

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Still waiting for a FFG Battlestations!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's 2014 now, still looking for a new version of Battlestations. Any news in the pipeline for a new version of the base set?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.