4 Posts

Four Lost Battles» Forums » Rules

Subject: A few more questions -_- rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Okay here goes, I am really thankful for you guys answering my questions because I really like this game :

1/ In Grossbeeren : the special rule about Bülow.

If Bülow gets released, does he still have to roll a die to be in command or is this automatic the first turn when he gets activated?

2/ Bombardment rules (11.65)

I don't get this part : "If the target hex contains 3 or 4 SPs of all types, the die roll for Bombardment (only) is reduced by one; if 7 or 8 SPs add one to the die roll; etc."

What if the combined SP of the target hex is 1 or 2 ?
What if it is more than 7 or 8?

Is + 1 the biggest modifier you can get? The way the bombardment table only goes to 7 would seem to suggest this is the case but then why not simply put "...4 SPs or less gets a -1 die roll modifier and 7 SPs or more gets +1"?

3/ Bombardment effects

If I understand correctly with the errata, only one unit can get affected by the bombardment now. But when you get a Dr result, does it mean all the units in a stack have to retreat or just one? At the moment it seems a bit powerful, two artilley units with a strength of 4 firing at a range of 2 hexes, have a 50% chance to make a whole stack retreat from a city even when you take into account the city modifier.

4/ Eliminated Leaders

In the errate, (5.23), it says "Eliminated officers unit counter returns to play on the following turn, stacked with any unit(s) of their formation."

What if the whole formation was eliminated?
Where does the leader return then? At a supply hex?
Does this rule apply to Commanders too?
What is the difference between being captured and eliminated for a leader then? One gives victory points and not the other, that's all?

5/ Can you combine march orders and road march?

6/ Please have a look at my post about stacking, I added a question there.

Thanks a lot for your time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Roach
United States
Baltimore
Maryland
flag msg tools
mb
pepe le moko wrote:
Okay here goes, I am really thankful for you guys answering my questions because I really like this game :

Glad to help. The game is a lot of fun.

pepe le moko wrote:
1/ In Grossbeeren : the special rule about Bülow.

If Bülow gets released, does he still have to roll a die to be in command or is this automatic the first turn when he gets activated?

Bülow is in command that turn.

pepe le moko wrote:
2/ Bombardment rules (11.65)

I don't get this part : "If the target hex contains 3 or 4 SPs of all types, the die roll for Bombardment (only) is reduced by one; if 7 or 8 SPs add one to the die roll; etc."

What if the combined SP of the target hex is 1 or 2 ?
What if it is more than 7 or 8?

Anything below 3/4 you -1, 7/8 or above +1.

pepe le moko wrote:
Is + 1 the biggest modifier you can get? The way the bombardment table only goes to 7 would seem to suggest this is the case but then why not simply put "...4 SPs or less gets a -1 die roll modifier and 7 SPs or more gets +1"?

I don't recall off-hand but I assume you are using the revised bombardment chart? There were some changes made following production.

pepe le moko wrote:
3/ Bombardment effects

If I understand correctly with the errata, only one unit can get affected by the bombardment now. But when you get a Dr result, does it mean all the units in a stack have to retreat or just one? At the moment it seems a bit powerful, two artilley units with a strength of 4 firing at a range of 2 hexes, have a 50% chance to make a whole stack retreat from a city even when you take into account the city modifier.

All units would retreat, but it sounds like you may be using the the old bombardment chart.

pepe le moko wrote:
4/ Eliminated Leaders

In the errate, (5.23), it says "Eliminated officers unit counter returns to play on the following turn, stacked with any unit(s) of their formation."

What if the whole formation was eliminated?
Where does the leader return then? At a supply hex?

At a supply hex.

pepe le moko wrote:
Does this rule apply to Commanders too?
What is the difference between being captured and eliminated for a leader then? One gives victory points and not the other, that's all?

If you capture a leader, he does not return to the game.

pepe le moko wrote:
5/ Can you combine march orders and road march?

Yes.

pepe le moko wrote:
6/ Please have a look at my post about stacking, I added a question there.

I will take a look.

-Jason

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
olivier R
France
flag msg tools
Thanks Jason.

Yes I am using the revised charts, I just checked and compared the ones posted here to be sure. But I think I'll give the bombardment and charge table variants that have also been posted a try next time.

The artillery rules work fine actually in practice, it just sounded a bit odd but it works quite nicely as it is.

About leaders though, in the errata I got, it seems they can be captured though :

------------------------------------------------------------
Chief of staff (5.23)

If a Corps officer is captured, return the existing Corps officer into play after one complete turn without him, but have him operate at one point less than the original initiative (a "1" stays a "1").
------------------------------------------------------------

Whereas for eliminated officers, it says just above :

---------------------------------------------------------------
Eliminated officers unit counter returns to play on the following turn, stacked with any unit of their formation. Remember to substract "one" from their initiative rating henceforth.
--------------------------------------------------------------

So there doesn't seem to be much difference here, except when captured he returns after one complete turn without him.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andreas E. Gebhardt
Germany
Birkenwerder
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pepe le moko wrote:

---------------------------------------------------------------
Eliminated officers unit counter returns to play on the following turn, stacked with any unit of their formation. Remember to substract "one" from their initiative rating henceforth.
--------------------------------------------------------------

So there doesn't seem to be much difference here, except when captured he returns after one complete turn without him.

Olivier,

what Kevin Zucker was trying to simulate here is that not the "eliminated" or "captured" officer/leader (himself, so to speak) will be back to game, BUT it is a replacement.

As you know, military always like to have "deputies" around. So, whenever a "boss" is gone permanently, his "deputy" will take over.

And because you don't know for sure his capabilities, Kevin takes off 1 credit point. And because you don't know exactly, when he will take over (you know, sometimes the higher command don't want to decide on the spot) Kevin gives this "change of command" a full game turn to be committed...

It's like in real life...

Andy (521tiger)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.