Mr. Jack» Forums » Variants

Subject: varying turn order rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Koczan
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
I was playing Mr. Jack with a good friend and frequent gamer buddy when we decided to vary up the turn order from the standard (Inspector-Jack-Jack-Inspector or IJJI on odd rounds, JIIJ on even rounds). It was one of the only workable variations we could think of.

Basically, we decided to try the opposite, JIIJ on odd rounds, IJJI on even rounds. We played a few games with this variation. It was an interesting experience, but had a few quirks.

1. The inspector was far too powerful in the first round. It was way too easy to eliminate 3 people in the first round without trying much. The second round doesn't make up for this as much as you'd hope.

2. Since the prime time for escapes is now on the odd rounds, when characters aren't known, escapes are a bit more determined by luck than before.

3. Round 2 escapes are much harder.

Although we didn't get terribly deep in this variation, it was interesting without much modification to the rules.

I also thought, "how else can turn order be altered?" There are 6 possible ways to do it.

Odd rounds - Even rounds
IJJI - JIIJ (standard setup)
JIIJ - IJJI (what I described above)
IJIJ - JIJI
JIJI - IJIJ
IIJJ - JJII
JJII - IIJJ

I haven't played around with these, but I imagine that the last two will not make for a very balanced game, since players alternate between having 4 moves in a row. The middle two may have some potential.

So, has anyone else tried mucking with turn order?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't, but I have mused in the past at the brilliance of the turn order, in that it gives the second active player in a round two moves in a row, leaving the starter with a leftover, but more importantly, it's just barely enough for Jack to get away with not quite enough. Although there are a few combos you can set up, they are few indeed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ThePeteEffect wrote:
1. The inspector was far too powerful in the first round. It was way too easy to eliminate 3 people in the first round without trying much.

I think this doesn't really make very much difference in the overall game. Whether the inspector eliminates 1 suspect or 3 suspects in the first round really doesn't add up to much overall impact, because protecting 7 suspects is less practical than protecting 5 suspects, so losing more earlier isn't that big a deal.

I think it's more important how much information you give away about whom you're protecting (or whether you get an alibi card) than exactly how many suspects you lose in the first round or two.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cindy Nowak
United States
Kenosha
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with Dave. As Jack, I have been down to three suspects by turn three and still won the game. I find it is easier to protect a small, core group than to try and keep as many suspects as possible.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.