David Gardner
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Right near the end of the game, I take a shot at my opponent's broken rifle squad and get a high Attack Total. My opponent rolls for his Defense, revealing the last card of his deck: It happens to be a low total, which would kill his unit.

Not only that, but one of our objective chits is the one that doubles elimination values, which means I'm going to score 4VPs rather than just the normal 2VPs for this kill.

But this was his final card.

Self-interest and sense of holy righteousness verily dripping from my words, I asserted that probably his unit would have died. After all, my shot was fired with the Attack Total and we had just discovered with his final card that I had killed his men... and it was such, such a close game... 4VPs for a very evident kill....

My opponent, pointing to 6.1.2 ADVANCEMENT, reads, "The Time marker is advanced one space forward along the Time Track... whenever a player reveals/draws the last card in his draw pile."

He claims -- and I ended up agreeing with him, sadly and reluctantly and respectfully -- that you treat this occurrence as if a Time! trigger had been rolled (I think he got this from the FAQ?), and when that happens, the game is paused. We made the Sudden Death roll and the game ended.

Was he/we right?

I would have appreciated a bit more clarity in the (original: what I bought) rulebook on this point -- sounds like maybe the FAQ addresses this -- but I even found the choice of "reveals/draws" a bit strange (I scratch my head wondering why Chad didn't just use one of those words, and why the slash...).

I mean, I'd killed the guy. He flips the card, and the first thing we see is his low defense total and a 4VP kill for me...

... but alas, I think we ruled it a-right.

Can I get some backup, here?!

Thanks in advance -- what a great game CC:E is, and I appreciate all the community rules support my fellow Geeks give it....

--David
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Pardoe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Read the second Important under 1.9.1 Die Triggers: Each of the four triggers explained below are always performed in their entirety before any results of the die roll that triggered them are implemented

So when that last card was drawn, a TIME! trigger occurs. (Your friend is correct - drawing the last card is equivalent to rolling a TIME! trigger....this is more obvious in v1.1 of the rules available online which have the following for the second bullet of 6.1.2:

* whenever a player reveals/draws the last card in his draw pile: treat such an occurrence exactly as if a Time! trigger had been rolled.

Why "reveals/draws" - well, this Time! trigger occurs regardless of how the last card is used...revealed on the discard deck as a die roll / event / random hex (or) drawn to one's hand as part of the Hand Refill at the end of every turn.

As a result, the game ended before you the killed the guy. Sorry, no support for your side. To do so would just be foolish.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McLintock
Scotland
Glasgow
Lanarkshire
flag msg tools
badge
"Roll dice and kick ass!"
mbmbmbmbmb
Richard's right David: the card-draw initiates a trigger which intervenes and whose effects are resolved before you finally resolve whichever gameplay generated the trigger in the first place. This happened to me a long time ago with a close combat (sigh). Meanwhile, if you think that the rules genuinely don't make this clear, you should point to the text and suggest how it might be improved. Chad might disagree, but if you are proved correct, Chad will appreciate the feedback.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Lanphear
United States
Stockton
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RPardoe wrote:

As a result, the game ended before you the killed the guy. Sorry, no support for your side. To do so would just be foolish.

Richard,

David G. is known to be foolish and somewhat motley.

David,

Richard is spot on with the rules though. You've just experienced a defeat snatched from the jaws of sure victory. cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Feels kind of like the end of "Gallipoli".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chick Lewis
United States
Claremont
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great story !

Here's my similar tale, but the same situation SAVED the game for me.

http://boardgamegeek.com/article/2196548#2196548

Chick

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Muldoon (silentdibs)
United States
Astoria
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is why I make sure I have the Initiative card to reroll the sudden death roll.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.