Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave King
United States
Lexington
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, it's the what-have-you-published-lately syndrome, which I believe just showed up as a treatable condition on the latest American Psychological Association listing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Rodrick
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There is that "lots of great new games" thing too. It will change the rating of at least some older games. (And it is a good thing!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luke Morris
England
Faversham
Kent
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I predict a rise in Martin Wallace game ratings. I shall call it "The rallying effect". whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
alan beaumont
United Kingdom
LONDON
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hiwatt wrote:
I haven't visited here in about a year and a half, and am seriously shocked at seeing the number of games that have plummeted in the rankings since then. I had collected quite a few that were top 30 which now have sunk into the 200s.

Shocked!? Seriously, if you enjoy your games why are you even worried about this?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
hiwatt wrote:
I haven't visited here in about a year and a half, and am seriously shocked at seeing the number of games that have plummeted in the rankings since then. I had collected quite a few that were top 30 which now have sunk into the 200s.

It just means you have lots of great new games you need to buy. Better get a loan.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hiwatt wrote:

Anyone have any theories as to what the driving trends are now?

Many people re-evaluate their ratings, and most of the time, ratings go down for games over time. Rarely does someone raise a game rating when they re-rate games. (that would be an interesting BGG data study - look at each occurrence of the change of a rating and see the direction and amount)

Why?

If you read the words affiliated with the numeric ranking system here, it is partially based on how frequently one wants to play the game.

Think about other forms of entertainment - many folks are happy to watch a movie or listen to a music several times in a row when it's new. Then, over time, those items move into a collection and the viewing time is replaced by other new things. The older items sometimes get pulled out again, but usually, they sit on the shelf.

If you have a rating system that is, in part, based on your desire to play the game again, then it is natural that most games will drop in their ratings over a period of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree. The rating system could be changed to mainly reflect on how good or bad you feel a game is, and not how often you want to play it. Right now we kind of have:

Game sucks- would play occasionally
Game sucks- would play only at gunpoint
Game sucks- wouldn't play even if life depended on it

Main point, the game sucks. Do we really need to break it down more ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I still think I like the rating system as it is. I mean, games may be well-designed or whatever, but if you don't want to play them, then who cares how objectively "good" they might be. Case in point: I think Diplomacy is a fantastic game. It does a fantastic job of ensuring that you can get things done, but only if you get someone else's help (or at least tacit agreement). That said, I think I'd be happy never playing it again. I think a lot of people feel the same (although I know there are also plenty of people in the world who'd play it anywhere, anytime), and its rating around here reflects that.

Now, we can talk about how the ratings around here only make sense for a person if they tend to like the sorts of games that other people who frequent the site like, but.... Rating's a subjective process regardless. Might as well focus on the thing that counts.

Edit: Subject-verb agreement. shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Frank
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
coolpapa wrote:
I still think I like the rating system as it is. I mean, games may be well-designed or whatever, but if you don't want to play them, then who cares how objectively "good" they might be.

An example from your own ratings. Your comment on 1960: The Making of the President is:

coolpapa wrote:
Nice lighter card-driven game. I think I'd almost always rather be playing Twilight Struggle than this, though.

You have 1960 rated at 7.5. Why not rate it a 5 or 6 if you always want to play Twilight Struggle instead? I'm guessing "because it would be a crime to rate 1960 that low."

My beef with the ratings is that it mashes two separate concepts into one number: how much I like a game and how much I want to play a game. Some games are great, but you only want to play them once in a while.

I love omelettes. I could easily eat one every day. I love sushi, but I wouldn't want to eat it every day. That doesn't mean that sushi isn't worth eating.

Looking at my own ratings, I can see that some games were rated primarily on how much I like them and others are rated primarily on how often I want to play them. I wish these were separate. I think you'd see many older games bubbling back up to the top if you could differentiate "like" ratings from "want to play" ratings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's an old thread that I started a while ago when I was conceptually struggling with the rating system here:

http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/156110

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J. Green
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I honestly think a big part of it was when Puerto Rico was bumped out of the number one spot. That was like an established benchmark that never seemed to change. Once games like Caylus and Agricola threatened that hierarchy, I think it really caused a wave of psychological re-evaluation that had a ripple effect in the ratings.

I think people are rating things more accurately now based on how much fun a game is and how much they want to play it, versus how great a game they think it is. I think Chess is a great game, but I don't play it regularly. All the true Chess fans are so much better than me through study, and the casual players would usually rather play something else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Frank
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hiwatt wrote:
It also isn't clear if you are supposed to rate your willingness to play a game again in comparison to other games or on its own merits. It is implied by the descriptions that they should be rated on their own merits, but with a fractional rating system it is also implied that it should be in comparison to other games.

I don't think you can separate them--take Blue Moon. On its own, it's an okay game. But I also have Dominion, Race for the Galaxy and Roma. Each of these does what Blue Moon tries to do so much better that Blue Moon will never hit the table. If all I had was Blue Moon, I'd still be playing it.

Additionally, the way the ratings stand now it's not even your willingness to play that's being measured--it also has an element of peer pressure. Take my least favorite type of game--party games. Specifically, Apples to Apples. I rate it a 4, or "Not so good, it doesn't get me but could be talked into it on occasion."

How much do I like this game? Not at all. My like-rating: 1

How much am I personally willing to play this game? Not at all--if I had a group of six people and only Apples to Apples available, I would suggest we all sit and stare silently at the wall rather than play. My willingness-to-play rating: 1

But if somebody else in that group wants to play it? Yeah, okay; I'm not going to be a spoilsport. I'll play it. BGG rating, including peer pressure: 4.

And then there's outliers like Tsuro. I don't even think of this as a game; it's more of an activity. But I rate it a 6, because it's inoffensive and is only going to take about three minutes of my time to play. Am I going to suggest playing it? No. Would I suggest anybody buy it? Nope. Would I play it if others wanted to? Yes, and with much less internal sobbing than if I had to play Apples to Apples.

So I guess my overall opinion is that the ratings are far too mushy, but not so mushy that newly-available cream won't rise to the top. Pay more attention to comments than to the ratings.

But you probably already knew that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like there's too many variables to throw into a 1-10 rating system.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Frank
United States
Portsmouth
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hiwatt wrote:
To be honest, a few years ago I stopped looking at personal ratings and their comments altogether. I just find multiple pages of that too difficult to process, and I rarely had a positive feeling about any game after reading all the comments because the negatives and positives suggested as reasonings are typically far too personalized.

The trick is to find people whose ratings match your own. When I look at the comments for a game I'm considering I usually read a few of the high-rated comments, a few of the middle-rated comments, and a few at the low end. Then I look at the ratings of the people leaving the comments--do their tastes match my own?

If you rate Twilight Struggle and Traders of Genoa high, and Arkham Horror and Twilight Imperium low, then your opinion is probably valuable to me even if you don't use the rating system the same way I do. On the other hand, if all of your comments only talk about theme and components, your opinion doesn't matter to me.

The geekbuddy system can probably automate this to some degree once you've found people whose opinions match yours; I haven't really used it myself though.

I like the comments better than the reviews because most reviews spend a lot of time telling you about how the game plays and not enough time telling you whether or not the reviewer liked it. People skip the mechanics list and rules summary in the comments and usually just comment on whether or not they like the game and often why, which is the most useful of all.

Edit: typo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Today, we're all Spaniards!
hiwatt wrote:

I don't think I've ever seen a period of time with such turbulence in rankings here.

I think that what you're seeing is normal, and is based on the buying public's psychology. (Kudos to Malcolm Gladwell for coming up with the concept in "The Tipping Point") Ratings may jump after initial release, as the early adopters jump on the band wagon. Early adopters usually display a high level of enthiusiasm, and contribute to the early rush of positive ratings. They also tend to be much more vocal than successive groups.

People like me, are more cautious and need a recommendation from a friend. We may be a little harder to please, and may not even play a new game until it's been out for a while. We may need to play it a few times before really being sure.

Others still, require tons of data, peer review, and widespread positive vibes about the product. They're not into risk, for whatever their reasons.

There are exceptions to these classifications, of course.

Personally, I think of each successive wave of players as being less "glowy" than the last, until you finally get some good data representation from all three groups. Then the ratings balance out. I ignore most of the early adopters, as our values are not compatible. They tend to gush a bit too much in my opinion. I like to wait for groups 2 and 3 to chime in.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I think that one factor is that the best games that come out each year are able to be better than previous games, because they can "stand on their shoulders" and build upon the things that work in those games.

As an example:
Race for the Galaxy is able to do what San Juan does, only in a better, more entertaining way. RFTG gets a high rating, and San Juan is re-evaluated and rated lower than it was.

Another reason is that, as we are exposed to more games, we realize that the game that seemed to be a "10" when our only basis of comparison was the mass-market "muggle" games we played growing up (Monopoly, Candyland, Life, Stratego, Risk, and Trivial Pursuit), does not outshine other "modern" games in the same way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Intres
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't rated very many of my games because I really don't like the "How often do you want to play it?" guidelines and the ones I have rated are higher than normal because I just enjoy the game.

The ratings are subjective and really SHOULDN'T influence a persons choice in buying a game. This is coming from a reformed IGN user who got swept up in the "it has to be a 9 or a 10 to even play" mentality. Then I noticed I was having more fun playing games they rated a 5 or a 6 than the EPIC "10" games like Metal Gear and Grand Theft Auto IV.

Another way of looking at it is like this, my favorite band is Motley Crue, when they released Saints of Las Angeles I was in heaven. When award season came around, it seemed that every award went to some form of American Idol winner or their ilk, did it make me not like SOLA anymore? Nope, I listened to it just the same and enjoyed it knowing that there are a lot of people out there that are missing out on some great music.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Get Funkadelic
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
hiwatt wrote:

Cult of the new?

Frankly I think most of the most highly rated games here are more a form of torture or interrogation than fun so I'm shocked in general. I know I couldn't get 95% of the people I know to consider playing them.

So...

Don't focus on the ratings as much as reading reviews with an eye on what the reviewer likes and disklikes and finding those reviewers and commentors ratings and reviews.

But mostly, play the games you want to play and have the most fun with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hiwatt wrote:
I had collected quite a few that were top 30 which now have sunk into the 200s.

If you have the info handy, I'd love to see some details. What games were in the top 30 in early 2008 and are now ranked below #200?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
If Actions Speak Louder Than Words, Then Actions x2 Speak Louder Than Actions
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
One of the Original Twelve
mbmbmbmbmb
Game rankings mean very little to me. Considering that I am not the community, I will probably not like the communities games all of the time. But I do like the games I like; ranked high or low.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
I had these left over in a spreadsheet... the Top 300 on BGG from sometime around the middle of last year... it looks like these stats are from the end of 2007 which works even better for the purposes of these comparisions:

Rank - Game - Ratings
1 Puerto Rico 12791
2 Agricola 2647
3 Power Grid 7887
4 Twilight Struggle 2951
5 Tigris & Euphrates 7263
6 El Grande 5831
7 Caylus 6275
8 Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization 1169
9 Princes of Florence, The 5258
10 Race for the Galaxy 3324
11 Age of Steam 2585
12 Commands & Colors: Ancients 1928
13 War of the Ring 3608
14 Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage 1445
15 Shogun 2463
16 Die Macher 1909
17 1960: The Making of the President 1762
18 Paths of Glory 1172
19 Brass 1213
20 Ra 5515
21 BattleLore 3714
22 Goa 3554
23 Pandemic 2522
24 Railroad Tycoon 3236
25 Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery 2055
26 Imperial 2074
27 Combat Commander: Europe 1103
28 Go 3015
29 Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition 3121
30 YINSH 1647
31 Wallenstein 1966
32 Settlers of Catan, The 14711
33 Tichu 2028
34 Hammer of the Scots 1461
35 Crokinole 1323
36 Memoir '44 5377
37 Samurai 4477
38 Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) 1174
39 Taj Mahal 2899
40 Ticket to Ride: Europe 5167
41 Struggle of Empires 1478
42 Ticket to Ride 9166
43 Modern Art 4104
44 Up Front 871
45 Notre Dame 2555
46 Dune 1583
47 San Juan 6039
48 Roads and Boats 773
49 Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation: Deluxe Edition 958
50 Carcassonne 14340
51 Amun-Re 3329
52 Stone Age 1359
53 Battle Line 2654
54 Acquire 4768
55 Tide of Iron 1107
56 Game of Thrones, A 3375
57 In the Year of the Dragon 1541
58 Ingenious 3818
59 Descent: Journeys in the Dark 2704
60 Arkham Horror 4998
61 Ticket to Ride: Märklin Edition 2355
62 Blood Bowl: Living RuleBook 479
63 Pillars of the Earth, The 3094
64 Mr. Jack 2368
65 Civilization 2546
66 Here I Stand 570
67 Tikal 4530
68 Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) Starter Kit #1 677
69 Galaxy Trucker 1157
70 Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation 3033
71 Hive 2960
72 DVONN 1502
73 Friedrich 813
74 Antiquity 552
75 StarCraft: The Board Game 1295
76 Through the Desert 4931
77 Space Hulk 1348
78 Traders of Genoa, The 2371
79 Europe Engulfed 640
80 Reef Encounter 2025
81 Thebes 1871
82 Union Pacific 1933
83 1830: The Game of Railroads and Robber Barons 1002
84 La Città 2172
85 Maharaja: Palace Building in India 2019
86 Yspahan 2379
87 Citadels 8227
88 RoboRally 5545
89 Hollywood Blockbuster 2153
90 Blue Moon City 2535
91 Carcassonne: The City 1527
92 Fury of Dracula 2376
93 ZÈRTZ 1403
94 Louis XIV 2404
95 Indonesia 591
96 Blokus 4105
97 Thurn and Taxis 4457
98 Torres 2973
99 Saint Petersburg 4026
100 Lost Cities 7744
101 Republic of Rome, The 1054
102 Time's Up! 1017
103 Blood Bowl - Third Edition 1343
104 Shadows over Camelot 4979
105 Web of Power 1724
106 Princes of the Renaissance 939
107 Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game 1736
108 Cuba 1475
109 CATAN 3D Collector's Edition 330
110 Napoleon's Triumph 268
111 Antike 1830
112 For Sale 3413
113 Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers 3972
114 A Victory Lost 419
115 Battle Cry 1821
116 Santiago 1824
117 Vegas Showdown 2061
118 HeroScape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie 3164
119 Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) Starter Kit #2 331
120 Bonaparte at Marengo 602
121 Carcassonne: The Castle 2847
122 Medici 2241
123 Vinci 2027
124 Squad Leader 1178
125 PitchCar 2109
126 Wilderness War 458
127 Caylus Magna Carta 1343
128 Bohnanza 7226
129 Jambo 2214
130 EastFront 390
131 Magic: The Gathering CCG 4585
132 Vikings 1231
133 Schotten Totten 1178
134 Keythedral 1515
135 Wings of War - Miniatures 388
136 Domaine 1749
137 Attika 3265
138 Nexus Ops 2527
139 San Marco 1856
140 Britannia 1409
141 We the People 620
142 Kingsburg 1461
143 Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit 852
144 Breakout: Normandy 416
145 China 1681
146 Rommel in the Desert 423
147 Bridge 854
148 Primordial Soup 1763
149 Netrunner 791
150 Colosseum 1729
151 Hacienda 1438
152 Arkadia 1382
153 Alhambra 5542
154 Hamburgum 856
155 Coloretto 3654
156 Diplomacy 3574
157 Taluva 1510
158 Blue Moon 2381
159 Löwenherz 1247
160 Manoeuvre 421
161 Mykerinos 1605
162 Scepter of Zavandor, The 981
163 Leonardo da Vinci 1493
164 Liberté 870
165 Zooloretto 2622
166 Travel Blokus 1072
167 Neuroshima Hex! 605
168 Hansa 2152
169 Warmachine 453
170 Formula Dé 3560
171 Meuterer 1240
172 Mü & More 893
173 Runebound Second Edition 1990
174 Hey! That's My Fish! 3197
175 Wits & Wagers 1548
176 Chinatown 1006
177 Ys 1066
178 Zendo 788
179 Dungeon Twister 2153
180 Downfall of Pompeii, The 1397
181 Werewolf 1877
182 History of the World 2004
183 Liar's Dice 2661
184 Perikles 771
185 GIPF 886
186 In the Shadow of the Emperor 1244
187 Colossal Arena 2706
188 Lord of the Rings 4612
189 1856 397
190 Tribune: Primus Inter Pares 512
191 TZAAR 245
192 No Thanks! 2514
193 Titan 1406
194 Winner's Circle 2159
195 Werewolves of Miller's Hollow 755
196 Manila 1414
197 Ingenious: Travel Edition 407
198 Aladdin's Dragons 1640
199 Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) Starter Kit #3 204
200 Mah-Jongg 1351
201 Settlers of Catan Card Game, The 4385
202 Chess 5489
203 Crusader Rex 462
204 Ark of the Covenant, The 747
205 Amyitis 797
206 Rumis 989
207 Java 1485
208 Fire and Axe: A Viking Saga 916
209 HeroScape Master Set: Swarm of the Marro 334
210 Warrior Knights 1152
211 Cosmic Encounter 2844
212 Medina 1180
213 Wings of War - Burning Drachens 496
214 Mexica 1240
215 Empires in Arms 502
216 Showmanager 542
217 Elasund: The First City of Catan 1432
218 Starship Catan 1722
219 Loopin' Louie 1395
220 Glory to Rome 477
221 Edel, Stein & Reich 817
222 Carolus Magnus 1497
223 Civil War, the 400
224 Evo 2009
225 Bang! The Bullet! 339
226 Stephenson's Rocket 1092
227 Samurai Swords 1934
228 Survive! 1041
229 Age of Renaissance 1128
230 Wings of War - Famous Aces 1929
231 Can't Stop 2383
232 Conquest of the Empire 966
233 Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper 1223
234 Axis & Allies 1997
235 Himalaya 808
236 Ambush! 837
237 For the People 416
238 Kremlin 1041
239 Atlantic Star 957
240 Tales of the Arabian Nights 385
241 Blokus Trigon 725
242 Razzia! 868
243 Aton 720
244 On the Underground 949
245 Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648 337
246 Category 5 3411
247 House Divided, A 734
248 Wyatt Earp 1878
249 Daytona 500 532
250 Roma 1217
251 Factory Fun 875
252 Ricochet Robots 1734
253 Doom: The Boardgame 1876
254 Merchant of Venus 975
255 Napoleon - The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 460
256 Fairy Tale 1521
257 High Society 1800
258 Ubongo 969
259 Cribbage 1770
260 Warhammer Quest 627
261 Funkenschlag 291
262 Ca$h 'n Gun$ 1947
263 End of the Triumvirate, The 616
264 I'm the Boss 1225
265 1870 394
266 Metropolys 551
267 Mission: Red Planet 1042
268 Ta Yü 570
269 Starfarers of Catan 2033
270 Gamut of Games, A 229
271 Hermagor 700
272 Wings of War - Watch Your Back! 713
273 Bang! 5799
274 Oltremare - Merchants of Venice 1289
275 Sticheln 839
276 Dreamblade 494
277 Gulo Gulo 1112
278 Big City 1173
279 Tinners' Trail 275
280 Capitol 960
281 Diamant 2599
282 Battlestations 414
283 Cleopatra and the Society of Architects 1933
284 World War II: Barbarossa to Berlin 400
285 Lost Valley 817
286 Pueblo 1096
287 Battleground: Fantasy Warfare 521
288 RAF 267
289 Great Battles of Alexander, The: Deluxe Edition 223
290 Um Reifenbreite 778
291 Fire in the Sky: The Great Pacific War 1941-1945 235
292 Tumblin-Dice 421
293 Elfenland 2751
294 Serenissima 1140
295 Sword of Rome, The: Conquest of Italy, 362-272 BC 418
296 Khet: The Laser Game 823
297 Qwirkle 580
298 Russian Campaign, The 526
299 Bausack 854
300 Händler, Die 537

And here is the BGG top 300 today as a comparison:

Rank - Game - Ratings

1 Agricola (2007) 9939
2 Puerto Rico (aka Puerto Rico) (2002) 16388
3 Power Grid (2004) 11413
4 Twilight Struggle (2005) 4252
5 Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization (2006) 2650
6 Dominion (2008) 7356
7 Le Havre (2008) 2557
8 Tigris & Euphrates (1997) 9160
9 El Grande (1995) 7623
10 Caylus (2005) 8311
11 Race for the Galaxy (2007) 7603
12 Brass (2007) 2406
13 Age of Steam (2002) 3410
14 Dominion: Intrigue (2009) 891
15 The Princes of Florence (aka The Princes of Florence) (2000) 6721
16 War of the Ring (2004) 4533
17 Commands & Colors: Ancients (2006) 2616
18 Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage (1996) 1971
19 Paths of Glory (1999) 1431
20 Battlestar Galactica (2008) 3621
21 Goa (2004) 4391
22 Shogun (2006) 3672
23 Pandemic (2008) 7566
24 Die Macher (1986) 2479
25 Railroad Tycoon (2005) 4403
26 Ra (1999) 6832
27 Imperial (2006) 3067
28 1960: The Making of the President (2007) 2929
29 Stone Age (2008) 4572
30 Combat Commander: Europe (2006) 1554
31 Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition (2005) 4161
32 Conflict of Heroes: Awakening the Bear! - Russia 1941-1942 (2008) 1144
33 Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery (2007) 3283
34 Small World (2009) 2914
35 Steam (2009) 612
36 Go (-2000) 3929
37 BattleLore (2006) 4851
38 YINSH (2003) 2162
39 Tichu (1991) 2938
40 Galaxy Trucker (2007) 3917
41 The Settlers of Catan (1995) 19118
42 Blood Bowl: Living RuleBook (2004) 838
43 Crokinole (1876) 1720
44 Wallenstein (2002) 2269
45 Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) (1985) 1450
46 Memoir '44 (2004) 6903
47 Hammer of the Scots (2002) 1802
48 Samurai (1998) 5610
49 Struggle of Empires (2004) 1890
50 Ticket to Ride: Europe (2005) 7308
51 Arkham Horror (2005) 7639
52 Taj Mahal (2000) 3653
53 Ticket to Ride (2004) 12072
54 Space Alert (2008) 1343
55 Amun-Re (2003) 4125
56 Here I Stand (2006) 832
57 Modern Art (1992) 5497
58 Dune (1979) 2049
59 Up Front (1983) 1044
60 Carcassonne (2000) 18728
61 Battle Line (2000) 3645
62 Acquire (1962) 6323
63 Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation: Deluxe Edition (2006) 1486
64 Notre Dame (2007) 3708
65 Descent: Journeys in the Dark (2005) 3880
66 Civilization (1980) 3156
67 San Juan (2004) 7814
68 Ticket to Ride: Nordic Countries (2007) 1272
69 In the Year of the Dragon (2007) 2704
70 A Game of Thrones (aka A Game of Thrones) (2003) 4396
71 Ingenious (2004) 5232
72 Cosmic Encounter (2008) 1474
73 Ticket to Ride: Märklin Edition (2006) 3169
74 Roads and Boats (1999) 1002
75 Tikal (1999) 5741
76 Space Hulk (1989) 1766
77 The Pillars of the Earth (2006) 4723
78 Napoleon's Triumph (2007) 485
79 Indonesia (2005) 914
80 Friedrich (2004) 1082
81 Antiquity (2004) 705
82 Chicago Express (2008) 1767
83 The Traders of Genoa (2001) 3045
84 Hive (2001) 4500
85 Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) Starter Kit #1 (2004) 866
86 DVONN (2001) 1874
87 1830: The Game of Railroads and Robber Barons (1986) 1196
88 Tide of Iron (2007) 1628
89 Automobile (2009) 596
90 Mr. Jack (2006) 3994
91 Blood Bowl - Third Edition (1994) 1751
92 Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation (2002) 3477
93 Union Pacific (1999) 2338
94 StarCraft: The Board Game (2007) 2152
95 Saint Petersburg (2004) 5329
96 Citadels (2000) 11047
97 Thebes (2007) 3028
98 Maharaja: Palace Building in India (2004) 2599
99 Europe Engulfed (2003) 775
100 Reef Encounter (2004) 2578
101 TZAAR (2007) 591
102 La Città (2000) 2695
103 Time's Up! (2000) 1352
104 ZÈRTZ (2000) 1768
105 Through the Desert (1998) 5931
106 RoboRally (1994) 7351
107 The Republic of Rome (1990) 1270
108 Yspahan (2006) 3240
109 CATAN 3D Collector's Edition (2005) 487
110 Fury of Dracula (2006) 3343
111 Princes of the Renaissance (2003) 1100
112 Torres (1999) 3624
113 Cuba (2007) 2505
114 Vikings (2007) 2092
115 Neuroshima Hex! (2006) 1349
116 Carcassonne: The City (2004) 1985
117 Blokus (2000) 5704
118 Web of Power (2000) 2033
119 Thurn and Taxis (2006) 6109
120 Blue Moon City (2006) 3486
121 Hollywood Blockbuster (2000) 2567
122 Lost Cities (1999) 9897
123 Vinci (1999) 2525
124 Shadows over Camelot (2005) 6580
125 Vegas Showdown (2005) 2695
126 For Sale (1997) 4440
127 Louis XIV (2005) 2928
128 Tinners' Trail (2008) 947
129 Glory to Rome (2005) 1185
130 Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game (2007) 3030
131 PitchCar (1995) 2837
132 HeroScape Master Set: Rise of the Valkyrie (2004) 3769
133 Bridge (1925) 1130
134 Bohnanza (1997) 9367
135 Squad Leader (1977) 1451
136 Carcassonne: Hunters and Gatherers (2002) 4875
137 Magic: The Gathering CCG (1993) 6153
138 Antike (2005) 2370
139 Medici (1995) 2746
140 Santiago (2003) 2278
141 Carcassonne: The Castle (2003) 3458
142 Battle Cry (2000) 2117
143 Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) Starter Kit #2 (2005) 442
144 A Victory Lost (2006) 530
145 Kingsburg (2007) 2981
146 Ghost Stories (2008) 1522
147 Jambo (2004) 3044
148 Nexus Ops (2005) 3239
149 San Marco (2001) 2206
150 Britannia (1986) 1760
151 Chinatown (1999) 1704
152 Netrunner (1996) 995
153 Schotten-Totten (1999) 1509
154 Star Wars: The Queen's Gambit (2000) 1008
155 Tribune: Primus Inter Pares (2007) 1333
156 Manoeuvre (2008) 827
157 Formula D (2008) 1187
158 Keythedral (2002) 1784
159 Domaine (2003) 2120
160 Attika (2003) 3888
161 Caylus Magna Carta (2007) 1918
162 Wilderness War (2001) 540
163 We the People (1994) 720
164 Bonaparte at Marengo (2005) 663
165 Colosseum (2007) 2577
166 China (2005) 2165
167 EastFront (1991) 432
168 Primordial Soup (1997) 2279
169 Alhambra (2003) 7332
170 Breakout: Normandy (1992) 469
171 Hacienda (2005) 1890
172 Rommel in the Desert (1982) 507
173 Diplomacy (1959) 4459
174 Taluva (2006) 2226
175 Coloretto (2003) 4752
176 Hamburgum (2007) 1325
177 Combat Commander: Pacific (2008) 237
178 History of the World (1991) 2336
179 Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) Starter Kit #3 (2007) 320
180 The Scepter of Zavandor (2004) 1257
181 The Downfall of Pompeii (2004) 2014
182 Löwenherz (1997) 1441
183 Arkadia (2006) 1928
184 1856 (1995) 529
185 Formula Dé (1991) 4355
186 Werewolves of Miller's Hollow (2001) 1500
187 Travel Blokus (2005) 1500
188 HeroScape Master Set: Swarm of the Marro (2007) 591
189 Zooloretto (2007) 4061
190 Wits & Wagers (2005) 2383
191 Zendo (1997) 957
192 Liberté (2001) 1031
193 Hansa (2004) 2650
194 Warmachine (2003) 557
195 GIPF (1997) 1117
196 Mü & More (1995) 1056
197 Liar's Dice (1986) 3413
198 Meuterer (2000) 1551
199 In the Shadow of the Emperor (2004) 1581
200 Titan (1980) 1913
201 Hey! That's My Fish! (2003) 4476
202 No Thanks! (2004) 3472
203 Ingenious: Travel Edition (2006) 644
204 Leonardo da Vinci (2006) 1923
205 Dungeon Twister (2004) 2845
206 Mykerinos (2006) 2091
207 Runebound Second Edition (2005) 2755
208 Lord of the Rings (2000) 5567
209 Java (2000) 1768
210 Mahjong (1850) 1849
211 Blue Moon (2004) 3016
212 Ys (2004) 1333
213 Aquaretto (2008) 891
214 Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition (2008) 420
215 Werewolf (1986) 2231
216 Colossal Arena (1997) 3368
217 Amyitis (2007) 1190
218 Snow Tails (2008) 923
219 Rumis (2003) 1658
220 Steel Driver (2008) 775
221 Chess (1475) 7126
222 The Settlers of Catan Card Game (1996) 5482
223 Empires in Arms (1983) 612
224 Winner's Circle (2001) 2558
225 Medina (2001) 1401
226 Fire and Axe: A Viking Saga (2004) 1268
227 Manila (2005) 1917
228 Mexica (2002) 1487
229 Bang! The Bullet! (2007) 854
230 Metropolys (2008) 1307
231 Aladdin's Dragons (2000) 1888
232 Showmanager (1996) 637
233 Loopin' Louie (1992) 1849
234 Cosmic Encounter (1977) 3062
235 The Civil War (1983) 497
236 Perikles (2006) 1030
237 Crusader Rex (2005) 553
238 Revolution: The Dutch Revolt 1568-1648 (2004) 439
239 Roma (2005) 1677
240 For the People (1998) 527
241 Kremlin (1986) 1280
242 Himalaya (2002) 1025
243 Samurai Swords (1986) 2325
244 Merchant of Venus (1988) 1195
245 Wings of War - Burning Drachens (2005) 701
246 Evo (2001) 2394
247 Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age (2009) 1168
248 Blokus Trigon (2006) 1017
249 The Ark of the Covenant (2003) 885
250 Warhammer Quest (1995) 791
251 Wings of War - Famous Aces (2004) 2498
252 Survive! (1982) 1202
253 Mystery Rummy: Jack the Ripper (1998) 1378
254 Ricochet Robots (1999) 2210
255 Starship Catan (2001) 2133
256 Stephenson's Rocket (1999) 1332
257 Age of Renaissance (1996) 1289
258 Ambush! (1983) 983
259 Container (2007) 1346
260 Can't Stop (1980) 3015
261 Ubongo (2003) 1473
262 Cribbage (1630) 2332
263 Edel, Stein & Reich (2003) 977
264 Carolus Magnus (2000) 1780
265 Category 5 (1994) 4042
266 Planet Steam (2008) 336
267 Funkenschlag (2001) 368
268 Aton (2006) 1027
269 Warrior Knights (2006) 1530
270 Doom: The Boardgame (2004) 2331
271 Diamonds Club (2008) 612
272 1870 (1992) 462
273 Elasund: The First City of Catan (2005) 1805
274 Atlantic Star (2001) 1159
275 Daytona 500 (1990) 609
276 Conquest of the Empire (2005) 1293
277 A House Divided (1981) 919
278 Battlestations (2004) 512
279 Factory Fun (2006) 1095
280 On the Underground (2006) 1200
281 Wyatt Earp (2001) 2192
282 Fairy Tale (2004) 2155
283 Sticheln (1993) 1048
284 Tales of the Arabian Nights (1985) 448
285 Cleopatra and the Society of Architects (2006) 2616
286 Axis & Allies (2004) 2605
287 A Touch of Evil, The Supernatural Game (2008) 808
288 Hermagor (2006) 919
289 High Society (1995) 2159
290 Big City (1999) 1382
291 EastFront II (2006) 195
292 Ca$h 'n Gun$ (2005) 2979
293 Razzia! (2004) 1060
294 Wings of War - Watch Your Back! (2005) 947
295 I'm the Boss (1994) 1495
296 Nefertiti (2008) 665
297 Um Reifenbreite (1979) 961
298 The Princes of Machu Picchu (2008) 601
299 The End of the Triumvirate (2005) 840
300 Napoleon: The Waterloo Campaign, 1815 (1974) 508

Here's the ranking changes for the Top 50 from the end of 2007:

Rank then - Game - Net Change in rank
1 Puerto Rico -1
2 Agricola 1
3 Power Grid 0
4 Twilight Struggle 0
5 Tigris & Euphrates -3
6 El Grande -3
7 Caylus -3
8 Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization 3
9 Princes of Florence, The -6
10 Race for the Galaxy -1
11 Age of Steam -2
12 Commands & Colors: Ancients -5
13 War of the Ring -3
14 Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage -4
15 Shogun -7
16 Die Macher -8
17 1960: The Making of the President -11
18 Paths of Glory -1
19 Brass 7
20 Ra -6
21 BattleLore -16
22 Goa 1
23 Pandemic 0
24 Railroad Tycoon -1
25 Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery -8
26 Imperial -1
27 Combat Commander: Europe -3
28 Go -8
29 Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition -2
30 YINSH -8
31 Wallenstein -13
32 Settlers of Catan, The -9
33 Tichu -6
34 Hammer of the Scots -13
35 Crokinole -8
36 Memoir '44 -10
37 Samurai -11
38 Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) -7
39 Taj Mahal -13
40 Ticket to Ride: Europe -10
41 Struggle of Empires -8
42 Ticket to Ride -11
43 Modern Art -14
44 Up Front -15
45 Notre Dame -19
46 Dune -12
47 San Juan -20
48 Roads and Boats -26
49 Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation: Deluxe Edition -14
50 Carcassonne -10
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nexttothemoon wrote:
I had these left over in a spreadsheet... the Top 300 on BGG from sometime around the middle of last year...

Thanks for posting this. I did a quick check but couldn't find any games in the top 30 you posted (from mid 2008) that are currently ranked below #200. I think the biggest drop of a game in the top 30 (mid 2008) was Battlelore, going from #21 then to #37 now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren M
Canada
Fort Vermilion
AB
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Yes... the ranking effects generally are that games will drift slowly lower in the rankings as they gain more ratings from users and "mature" (there are exceptions of course)... mainly because so many new games are produced each year and some of those new games will be highly regarded as well... naturally displacing some top ranked games from other years.

I can't think of any games though that have had a really dramatic plunge from Top 30 down to under 200 in the space of a year though. Monkey Auto Races excluded.

looking further through BGG geeklists I found this handy dandy geeklist http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/27899 that Boyd Ludlow set up (I really don't know why BGG can't have these types of charts built into the database as they are interesting and often requested)... it shows a view of what the BGG top ranked games looked like at the end of 2007...

Rank at the end of 2007 - Game - Change in rank until today

1 Puerto Rico -1
2 Agricola +1
3 Power Grid 0
4 Twilight Struggle 0
5 Tigris & Euphrates -3
6 El Grande -3
7 Caylus -3
8 Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization +3
9 Princes of Florence, The -6
10 Race for the Galaxy -1
11 Age of Steam -2
12 Commands & Colors: Ancients -5
13 War of the Ring -3
14 Hannibal: Rome vs. Carthage -4
15 Shogun -7
16 Die Macher -8
17 1960: The Making of the President -11
18 Paths of Glory -1
19 Brass +7
20 Ra -6
21 BattleLore -16
22 Goa +1
23 Pandemic 0
24 Railroad Tycoon -1
25 Age of Empires III: The Age of Discovery -8
26 Imperial -1
27 Combat Commander: Europe -3
28 Go -8
29 Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition -2
30 YINSH -8
31 Wallenstein -13
32 Settlers of Catan, The -9
33 Tichu -6
34 Hammer of the Scots -13
35 Crokinole -8
36 Memoir '44 -10
37 Samurai -11
38 Advanced Squad Leader (ASL) -7
39 Taj Mahal -13
40 Ticket to Ride: Europe -10
41 Struggle of Empires -8
42 Ticket to Ride -11
43 Modern Art -14
44 Up Front -15
45 Notre Dame -19
46 Dune -12
47 San Juan -20
48 Roads and Boats -26
49 Lord of the Rings - The Confrontation: Deluxe Edition -14
50 Carcassonne -10

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morgan Dontanville
United States
Charlottesville
VA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Plate of Shrimp.
badge
Here we are folks, the dream we all dream of.
mbmbmbmbmb
Welcome back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.