7 Posts

Last Night on Earth: The Zombie Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: "There's No Time Leave It" Question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
mai desu
msg tools
My question about this card is this:

If a Hero is trying to pick something up from the discard pile, at that moment, would it be possible to remove their intended target from the game with "There's No Time Leave It" ? If this were so, would that just waste the Search, "Just What I Needed" card, etc. ?

In other words, when cards are played, do they have to be fully resolved before other cards can be played with the exception of cancelling ?

Thanks for any input into this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Davis
United States
New Concord
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would play it that you could use it to get rid of something they were looking for, but then they could re-target their search. So, if you remove a shotgun from the game while someone is searching in the ammo shop, they could grab a revolver instead. I've no idea if that's the correct rule or not, but it seems a fair way to go to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
maidesu wrote:

If a Hero is trying to pick something up from the discard pile, at that moment, would it be possible to remove their intended target from the game with "There's No Time Leave It" ? If this were so, would that just waste the Search, "Just What I Needed" card, etc. ?

In other words, when cards are played, do they have to be fully resolved before other cards can be played with the exception of cancelling ?

I don't think this is legal. This game is not supposed to have any timing mechanics to it. If someone is doing something, you let them finish until you say you'd like to play something. This usually just applies to fights, but in that case, who ever is winning generally gives the loser a chance to play something. In your case, as soon as someone said "I'm going to search now", it's too late to play "There's no time, leave it".

Not an official answer, of course, but my understanding of what I've read from what Jason Hill has posted here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Biodiesel
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sappington wrote:

I don't think this is legal. This game is not supposed to have any timing mechanics to it. If someone is doing something, you let them finish until you say you'd like to play something. This usually just applies to fights, but in that case, who ever is winning generally gives the loser a chance to play something. In your case, as soon as someone said "I'm going to search now", it's too late to play "There's no time, leave it".

How ironic. A day after I posted that, I fell victim to a similar situation. I was playing as the zombies, and I had a zombie in a space with 2 heroes during my turn. At the "fight zombies" phase, I made sure we were ready to conduct that zombie's fight, and announced that I was playing "Unnecessary Self Sacrifice", which states:
Quote:
Play this card when two heroes are in the same space and a Zombie is about to fight one of them. Instead of fighting, the Zombie automatically wounds one of them (Hero's choice).

The heroes responded to that by playing a card that said "Play to cancel any fight". I tried to argue that it was too late to play that, since there was no longer a fight going on once I played my card (see "Instead of fighting"). They argued that their card should be resolved first, akin to an "Instant" in Magic: The Gathering (Instant cards are resolved in reverse order). They ended up overruling me, and now I wonder if they actually had a good point or not.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seiya V
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone!
mbmbmbmbmb
You can in fact cancel fights that were automatically won by "Unnecessary Self Sacrifice"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cameron McKenzie
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
seiyaaa wrote:
You can in fact cancel fights that were automatically won by "Unnecessary Self Sacrifice"

I disagree. Unnecessary Self Sacrifice already canceled the fight. It doesn't cause the Zombie to win a fight, it just causes them to wound a Hero (without even fighting it) so there is nothing to cancel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Seiya V
United States
New York
flag msg tools
badge
You'll Never Walk Alone!
mbmbmbmbmb
jchill7 wrote:
First off, as Lee pointed out above, there is an Errata on the 'Fire Extinguisher' where the second ability should read "any time (except during a Fight)...".

In this kind of situation, the Fire Extinguisher's first ability to cancel a Fight involving the Hero COULD be used after 'Unecessary Self Sacriface' is played as long as the card is being used "instead of fighting" the Hero that has the Fire Extinguisher.

'Unecessary Self Sacrifce' is "Intead of Fighting" so it replaces the Fight. This means that it CAN be canceled as though it were a fight, but cards that may not be played "during a fight' may not be used. So you could cancel the 'Fight' but you could not use the Extinguisher's second ability or play a card like 'Recovery' to heal before taking the Self Sacrifice wound.

Another card that is kind of like this is "The Line is Dead!" from Growing Hunger (also an Alt Image Promo). This Zombie card cancels a Hero's Search. This can be used to cancel a Search, or anything that is 'instead of Searching' like using a buildings 'Pick Up:' ability or Sheriff Anderson's 'Man of Action' ability.

As a quick example, say you have Billy and Sally together and Zombies A and B move into their space. Billy has a Fire Extinguisher and decides not to use its second ability to move the Zombies away. Because it is the Zombie Turn, each Hero is paired off with a single Zombie to fight. The Hero player decides to do Billy's fight first. If the Zombie player uses Unecessary Self Sacrifice now, Billy could dump the Fire Extinguisher to cancel the 'Fight' making the Self Sacrifice card wasted. Alternatively, the Zombies could wait and use Unecessary Self Sacrifice instead of fighting Sally. If this was the case, Billy's Fire Extinguisher could not be used as it's not his fight.

Sorry if that is a bit of a long-winded explanation. It is a fairly straightforward concept, but it's kind of wordy to go step-by-step through it.

- Jason

Jason C. Hill
Flying Frog Productions

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.