Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've bought a ton of dreamblade minis now, and I've played a few times and enjoyed it. I was thinking though. . . wouldn't the game be a little more interesting if d8s were used instead of d6s for spawn points. You would have a lower amount of no spawns due to lower odds of a one being rolled by either player, the average roll would go from 7 to 9, the roll possible total would change from 4 to 12 to 4 to 16 (remember we aren't counting ones) the main effect I see is that the high cost minis, especially the ones with very prohibitive spawn costs could come out more and you would go through your reserves faster. I would probably change the reserves to 17 or 18. . .

Any thoughts? It may be an out of print/dead CMG game, but still a darn good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill
United States
Sayville
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting idea -- I would like to hear how it works out,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Stude
United States
Farmington Hills
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Started a post here, fat-fingered it, and lost it. I'll respond again, shorter and sweeter. I don't think it'd work out that well - here's why:

--Part of the strategy in Dreamblade revolves around deciding when to kill and when to disrupt. One reason NOT to kill is that it gives an opponent extra spawn points, which with a good spawn roll could result in the entrance of heavy hitters. With more spawn points to work with on average, I think this becomes less of a factor, and removing strategic depth is never good.

--one consequence of going through reserves faster is that the board could potentially be a lot busier, which could be interesting but could also result in flooding.

I'm a little leery about changing a mechanic like that when the entire game was balanced around d6... ya know?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Denman
United States
Katy
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think this idea is for me. I like my games to be filled with tough decisions and minimizing resources is one way this comes about. The fewer figures I have to work with, the better. If the board fills up, it becomes too much of a dicefest. And as was just pointed out, kill decisions should be important as they are often the only way to get out the big guys. If you skew the dice totals up, then the warbands will just be made of bigger guys and the big guys just won't seem as special as they once were. No, sorry, but I just don't see why you'd really want to change this aspect of the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Parkes
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this is a fun idea. It would make it possible to drop an Unsated Ragedrake on round one. That's hilarious.

I could see giving this a try. A great idea for the variant thread.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Goodridge
United States
Windsor Locks
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Currently at 1:2 ratio, getting better every week
badge
I don't want it, I don't need it, but I can't stop myself. - Stabbing Westward
mbmbmbmbmb
I have an entire set of warbands dedicated to the d10 initiative die. I call them "Big Time" warbands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M C
United States
Mount Dora
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The d8 system works, its a variant, and we'll use it if we want to use warbands with more expensive creatures than a normal one (note we also increase war band size by one)

Another variant we've tried that is interesting but I haven't played around enough with is giving a player the option of choosing which die to roll from a d4, d6 or d8. The die choice is revealed at the same time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.