Popular Tags: [View All]
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By steve thomas, on the 18xx yahoogroup.

"I have recently discovered a third translation error between the rules to 1848 Australia in German and in English.

In the German rules, a company with a 4- or 4+-train can exchange it for a Diesel and get a £300 discount off the usual price of the Diesel. The English rules say that such a company can exchange its train for an "8/D" at a £300 discount. This would mean that you could trade up a 4-train to an 8-train for £500. There's a pretty strong hint that the English version is in error in the components; the 8-train is labelled "£800" while the Diesel is labelled both "(£800)" and "£1100",

For the record, the other two errors are that permanent trains are removed from the set when the second and fifth companies go into receivership, and not (as the English rules say) when the second and fifth loans get taken; and that when a company goes into receivership, minority shareholders are compensated at the company's par price, and not at the "current price" suggested by the English rules."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
We just had our first play of this here today (I received 1848 and 1824 from Helmut last month). I enjoyed it, but unfortunately made a couple of rules errors. We had all of the rules you stated correct, thanks to having also looked at the McGuffins posted here.

Is it correct that the only time a company can upgrade for the -$300 discount against a D-Train is when the very first D-Train is purchased? The English rules did clearly state this, but I wanted to be sure it's not a translation error, as games often allow the upgrading of permanent trains in the same manner (whether or not that's a profitable action to take is a separate matter and contextual).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Bazynski
Poland
warsaw
mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have 2nd ed rules and while the loan/takeover mistake is fixed, the 8/D isn't.

however, most interesting is that as far as I can tell K-K-K bonus is only referenced as a FAQ question, and is not in the rules anywhere
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Olá Breno, tudo bem.

Just to make things clear or errors:
1 - Discount is only for D trains.
2 - Trains removed when companies in receivership, not number of loans
3 - Compensaton at par price.

I have one additional doubt.

On your help file:
Quote:
A complete set of operating rounds happen if bank runs out of money.

From the rules:
Quote:
- The current set of Operating Rounds is always played to completion.
- If the Bank runs out of money during a Share Round, one more complete set of Operating Rounds
is paid.

So, from what I understood from the rules. You must complete the entire round (SR + ORs) ALWAYS.
From your help file: Only complete the set of ORs in case of the bank gets out of money. All the others game end at the end of current OR (got this by omission, maybe wrong). Which one it is?

Um abraço do lado de cá do Atlântico

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
bazik123 wrote:
as far as I can tell K-K-K bonus is only referenced as a FAQ question, and is not in the rules anywhere

It's also printed on the map ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Breno K.
Brazil
Brasília
Distrito Federal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
1 - Discount is only for D trains.
yes

2 - Trains removed when companies in receivership, not number of loans
Depends on which ruleset you have, the older rules worked with loan-taking, the newer rules work with receivership. I've only played it with receivership, but if you want a more brutal game, go with the older rule.

3 - Compensaton at par price.
Yes.

Regarding game-completion, Bank-draining always has you play to the end of the set of ORs.

My help file is informal, anything that differs from the rulebook will most probably be a mistake of mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
BrenoK wrote:
Depends on which ruleset you have, the older rules worked with loan-taking, the newer rules work with receivership. I've only played it with receivership, but if you want a more brutal game, go with the older rule.

Aye. I considerably prefer removing trains on loans.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Important rules errors in the English manual
But you play it as the rules say exactly. Not the second and fifth loan is given, but when the second company and fifth company takes a loan. So if the same company takes loan 1 and loan 2 the first train is not removed, correct? Only if it is a different company.

This also creates me one doubt (I must say I've never played it, so this situation may never occur).

Lets assume that we are at phase 3 (trains 3/3+) and a second company takes a loan. The first 5/5+ train is removed. The rules say that this removal is like as if it was sold.
So, the game immediately goes to phase 5, trains 2/2+ rust, brown tiles are available, etc... is this correct?
This can be brutal!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
brainst0rm wrote:
But you play it as the rules say exactly. Not the second and fifth loan is given, but when the second company and fifth company takes a loan. So if the same company takes loan 1 and loan 2 the first train is not removed, correct? Only if it is a different company.

Correct.

Quote:
This also creates me one doubt (I must say I've never played it, so this situation may never occur).

Lets assume that we are at phase 3 (trains 3/3+) and a second company takes a loan. The first 5/5+ train is removed. The rules say that this removal is like as if it was sold.
So, the game immediately goes to phase 5, trains 2/2+ rust, brown tiles are available, etc... is this correct?
This can be brutal!!!

No, killing a permanent train does not cause a phase change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlos Ferreira
Portugal
Porto Salvo
Porto Salvo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
From the rules:

Quote:
- At the moment the second company takes out a loan, the cheapest permanent train (5/5+, 6/6+,
8/D) on sale from the Bank is removed from the game.
- At the moment the fifth company takes out a loan, the cheapest permanent train (5/5+, 6/6+, 8/D)
on sale from the Bank is removed from the game.
1 0
- Trains removed from the game are regarded as having been sold and can bring about a phase
change.

I've decided that I will play with the 2nd and 5th company in receivership as the FAQ says.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roger
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules page 10 says that this can bring about a phase change.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.