Thumb up
 Hide
36 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: Police Sodomize Man w/a Taser rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
This must be part of that "new professionalism" that Scalia talks about.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Having been a resident of Idaho for 27 years, 21 of them in Boise I will say this -

The BPD is an efficient and often forceful group of men and women. Like any police organization they sometimes step over the line and no doubt this is one instance.

The plus side to their hard stance on crime is that Boise has remained an incredibly safe city despite explosive growth over the last 25 years. The bulk of that growth was from California and the police force is probably staffed with as many as 50% former California officers.

Neighboring areas to the west of Boise which have seen similar growth and taken a softer approach now are riddled with gangs and drive-by shootings are common on most week-ends and often on week nights. The murder rate outside the Boise area is also higher as drug elements from Mexico and California have found it's not safe to operate within Boise city limits.

My guess is that the two officers who seem to have overstepped their authority will be dismissed. Since the city added an ombudsman some years back the police force has a level of transparency it didn't have before.

No doubt the particulars will come out as the case moves into the courts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If the facts are what is being reported, the officer should be fired and possibly prosecuted.

I believe that the vast majority of cops are "good guys" but a lot of cops (numerically, not by percentage) are "bad guys." I've run across a few bad ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
If people claim that waterboarding is not torture then this can only soon become an acceptable arrest procedure: Get your rights read, photo taken, fingerprinting and then a taser up your ass. I've tried it... it is not that bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Hefferan
United States
Saint Paul
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So let me try to understand this. Simulating death by drowning can be rationalized, but insertion of an object into a suspect's anus is indefensible.

I know you conservatives are rumored to be homophobic closet cases, but could you please stop trying to prove it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Yeah this is just the sort of thing that could get every anally receptive masochist north of the equator moving to Boise demanding to be buggered by a Tazered-up version of the Village People cop on Friday nights.

You've got to ask - Is this the profile of the new residents that they really want? Or has the Boise Progress Association taken a wrong turn?

We've got a (ex) rugby league player who would probably sign up for the weekend shift though. http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=Hopoate
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Carter
United States
Longwood
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
If people claim that waterboarding is not torture then this can only soon become an acceptable arrest procedure...

Has anyone suggested that waterboarding should be a standard arrest procedure? I'm guessing that even someone who thinks waterboarding is okay for interrogating a terrorist who knows about plans for an impending attack would not think it's okay for a standard arrest procedure.

I don't see how the two are the same situation at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Since the city added an ombudsman some years back the police force has a level of transparency it didn't have before.

here's a link to the ombudsman's report:

http://www.boiseweekly.com/pdf/taser_report.pdf

apparently no actual insertion occurred, so sodomy is not correct, but the suspect did get burns on the inside of his buttocks and was under the threat of sodomy and being tazed on the testicles. all while handcuffed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
jarredscott78 wrote:
If the facts are what is being reported, the officer should be fired and possibly prosecuted.

I believe that the vast majority of cops are "good guys" but a lot of cops (numerically, not by percentage) are "bad guys." I've run across a few bad ones.

Agreed. That's why I was supportive of the addition of an independent ombudsman when I was still a Boise resident.

The BPD is a unique police force in many ways and a careful one as well. They have been sued several times when officer shootings resulted in deaths of armed criminals. Adding the citizen investigator has kept incidents of this sort to a minimum and made the job easier for police as well... since they are protected by the citizen watchdog who serves both the police and the public.

I'm not sure how many cities use the ombudsman tool, but it's a good one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
Games? People still play games??
badge
Specious arguments are not proof of trollish intent.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a great report. My favorite cop in the whole thing is Officer #10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
MisterCranky wrote:
That's a great report. My favorite cop in the whole thing is Officer #10.

It is excellent. That's exactly why most Boise residents supported the ombudsman position.

Isn't 10 the cop who tried to erase his recording of the interview? Heh... that guy needs to ride a file cabinet for a few years until he gets schooled on not only ethics, but on digital recording technology.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
admin
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Isn't 10 the cop who tried to erase his recording of the interview?

yeah, he is also Officer #3's (the one with the tazer) superviser
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
True Blue Jon
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone forwarded the link to Professor Gates yet?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
On line reports differ quite a bit.

Seems as though everyone agrees the cops rushed in, tasered the guy in the small of his back, and got him in cuffs.

At that point he was either cooperative or uncooperative. The more sensational news reports imply the guy must have been cooperative because he was already in cuffs.

He was then tasered in the buttocks, not the anus.

The cop then held the taser to the guys anus at which point the guy became more cooperative.

Seems as though different news outlets are reporting the second tasering, which may or may not have been justified depending upon the level of cooperation of the suspect, as a shock to the anus which it wasn't but which was later threatened.

I think all of the media reports are immaterial once you read the official filed report linked to above. It doesn't really paint a flattering picture of the officer or his supervisor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nothing but static
New Zealand
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
don't tase my ass bro.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lotus dweller
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
Koldfoot wrote:
A news report that portrays the uncooperative domestic abuser as a victim and the cops as the criminals?

That's a first.

And the chief of police runs for political cover?

That's just too much to fathom.

Just so you all are clear Koldie is not referring to the official Ombudsman's report. That found ".... Officer #3’s Taser left burns on the inside of the Complainant’s right buttock. The preponderance of the evidence clearly supports the conclusion that this second use of the Taser by Officer #3 was neither reasonable nor necessary given the totality of the circumstances. ...."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Pinook wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
A news report that portrays the uncooperative domestic abuser as a victim and the cops as the criminals?

That's a first.

And the chief of police runs for political cover?

That's just too much to fathom.

Just so you all are clear Koldie is not referring to the official Ombudsman's report. That found ".... Officer #3’s Taser left burns on the inside of the Complainant’s right buttock. The preponderance of the evidence clearly supports the conclusion that this second use of the Taser by Officer #3 was neither reasonable nor necessary given the totality of the circumstances. ...."

As the report said, events often happen at a rapid pace and police frequently act without having all the information they need in order to make good decisions.

The purpose of the ombudsman is not to harass police or to recast criminals as victims. The aim is to bring some after-the-fact clarity to situations that just cannot be understood completely unless you were there, on one side or the other.

Officer #3 acted inappropriately but he is (as I read the report) a seasoned veteran and one error out of perhaps thousands of competent contacts with the public and those who prey on us does not make the man a criminal... or even a bad cop. It just demonstrates what we all know but many of us fail to admit when there is a convenient dog to kick...

People, even police, make errors. Police, in particular, spend their entire careers dealing with pressure and danger on a scale that is wholly unappreciated by the average IT worker, mall clerk or college student.

So what the ombudsman has done (in Boise at least) is give citizens access to particulars they might not have had before. Citizen activist groups are often pure anti-police at all times. Idaho, in that regard, is no different than Oakland where one armed, psycho criminal murdered four policeman and then was touted as being the victim instead of the real criminal.

Having access to the chronology and subsequent events of questionable police actions is a boon to any community. Boise desired a tough police force because it's citizenry saw the pitfalls of population growth that brought an unsavory element with it that our community wasn't used to dealing with. That being a criminal drug culture and more tolerance of crime and less tolerance of police.

The problem with a tough cop strategy is your cops are expected to be tough... less forgiving and more suspicious. When I moved here most murders were of the variety expected anywhere on Earth. Lust, money, booze and misadventure. As the drug culture moved here in the early 90's that changed... and not racially either.. culturally.

So Boise got it's tough cops and safe streets. Then, when the tough cops made what "seemed" like errors the mayor and city council adpated the ombudsman as a conduit between the two groups.. concerned citizens and dedicated police.

I think it works just fine and this butt-tasering incident demonstrates exactly why. Officer #3 will either be suspended or get needed counseling, the man arrested will have to deal with "facts" if he sues and the supervisor who tried to erase the recording will get whatever punishment that offense requires.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:
So let me try to understand this. Simulating death by drowning can be rationalized, but insertion of an object into a suspect's anus is indefensible.

I know you conservatives are rumored to be homophobic closet cases, but could you please stop trying to prove it?

I've heard liberals can be so off the wall their logic follows curves unknown in Euclidean Geometry, but could you please stop trying to prove it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Shushnik wrote:

Okay, at first I didn't get the link between "interrogation technique for the purpose of appropriating necessary information" and "shove something up some punk's ass", but I completely missed this doozy. How does saying "police shouldn't stick things up somebody's ass" = "homophobic closet cases"?

I personally consider one major aspect of homophobia the branding of people as gay because you dislike them for some reason and want to compare them to something equally detestable (re: "that's gay"), which is all I'm seeing here. Are you in middle school?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
bigbc79 wrote:

I did not say that they were the same... I am saying that we are learning to accept brutality. Waterboarding is ok to perform... sure, why not a taser enema? We entertain ourselves with violence (TV / movies / video games), we are constantly at war, we are the supplier of WMDs to the world, our major cities (including our nation's capitol) are the most violent places in the world and we have the highest per capita of prison population & state executions. So, taser up the ass becoming the next step after Miranda rights would not be a surprise to me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There once was an ex-con in Boise,
Whose fight with a woman got noisy.
The police were dispatched
And a quick plan was hatched
Wherein Officer #3 held his taser against the man's buttock and said a lot of stuff that made him look pretty bad later in the ombudsman's report.

It's a shame that Boise has so few actually helpful rhymes. I will try again.

In Boise there was an ex-con,
Whose woman just wanted him gone.
The police were called in
To deal with his sin
But they merely compounded the evil with their own incredibly lackluster approach to the enforcement of law.

FUCK!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
You should try haiku
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Antigonus Monophthalmus
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
pronoblem wrote:
bigbc79 wrote:

I did not say that they were the same... I am saying that we are learning to accept brutality. Waterboarding is ok to perform... sure, why not a taser enema?

Who was that guy with the "conservatives love the slippery slope" argument? He needs to see this!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
The Steak Fairy
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taser in my ass
Officer that is painful
Ombudsman help me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
mbmbmbmbmb
Bitch, you get out here
Officer, I've done nothing
Please don't taze my ass.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.