Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Can you designate a pyro signal to target only a specific type of unit? For example, could you use "Litter teams move to this card" or even "LATs move to this card"?

I've assumed that it's allowed to key a signal to the card it is deployed on (or over, in the case of flares), but I'm not sure if the units in the game are aware of their game status as squads, litter teams etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't think so. The point of pyrotechnics is to allow for fast communications within the company, and the intent is for these communications should be "realistic".

A realistic command would be for a company (or at least a particular platoon) to seek cover, or fall back to an established position, or to advance, etc.

Also, you have to keep in mind that the units intended to receive a command from a pyrotechnic should still be eligible to receive the command.

I'm not saying that it is "illegal" within the game rules, but I'm not sure that having LATs perform certain commands is necessarily within the "intent" of the pryos.

Additionally, my understanding of the LATs is that they represent disorganized, scared, perhaps wounded men by themselves or in pairs. The chance that they would "follow" a command from a pyrotechnic is somewhat doubtful to me anyway as their current state represents a loss of cohesion as a useful military unit until they've been rallied, and they are (for the most part, with the exception of assault teams) just simply wanting to get back behind their lines so they can feel safe again or seek medical attention.

Just my thoughts anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
The last I knew, the rule for pyro signals was "make it reasonable." In other words, it's sort of open.

I my own games, I try to simulate a real world-like pyro signals. I think that using your pyros for LATs is a little on the outside edge of acceptability.

Think about it this way. The company commander meets with his staff, and probably some NCOs and explains what he wants each pyro signal to mean. Would he really be able to say "And when the red smoke is shot off, that means I want any men who are isolated from their squads (LATs) to come to me." I don't know that a commander would say that.

Anyway, my two cents.

Chris
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Good points, both of you. (I should note I haven't used any pyros this way, but I was curious about other opinions.)

However, I could imagine a commander saying "Red smoke will designate the main rallying point" or something similar, with the game effect being that LATs (who can see the signal and otherwise are allowed to move) are ordered to move there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndersGabrielsson wrote:
Good points, both of you. (I should note I haven't used any pyros this way, but I was curious about other opinions.)

However, I could imagine a commander saying "Red smoke will designate the main rallying point" or something similar, with the game effect being that LATs (who can see the signal and otherwise are allowed to move) are ordered to move there.

True.

One more point I'd like to make is that keep in mind that, as far as following orders goes, LATs (including fire and assault teams) are *not* considered to be part of a squad or platoon. This means that they will not follow orders designated for any particular platoon members.

I'm not trying to say it couldn't be done; I was mainly trying to suggest that using pryos keyed to orders that LATs would be expected to obey seems outside the "spirit" of pyrotechnic use, short of perhaps certain orders that anyone - including LATs - could obey like a pyro keyed to "seek cover". Even with an order like "seek cover" the LAT would legitimately be required to follow/obey the order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, absolutely. I'm not trying to "game the system"; I do want what I do to make sense as simulation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt R
United States
Keller
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
AndersGabrielsson wrote:
Oh, absolutely. I'm not trying to "game the system"; I do want what I do to make sense as simulation.

Yeah, its okay! And that is why this game is fun but takes some work. Not all of us have been in the army and understand the intent of what is trying to be simulated with this game.

And besides, its a solitaire game, so its not like you run the risk of upsetting your opponent, so if you dislike something about, just cheat or change the rules...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anders Gabrielsson
Sweden
Uppsala
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
My main point of reference here is Band of Brothers, so I'm not sure how realistic my expectations are.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.