Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This card is surprisingly balanced...

You look at it and go, "Whoa! 3 Actions! Nothing else offers that many actions in one card." And you buy it. And then you buy some Smithies and maybe Council Rooms to support it. And then you end up with a hand of 3 Apprentices, or -- as happened to me once -- a Throne Room with an Apprentice.

Or you manage to draw, like 10 cards with your Apprentices, Council Rooms and so forth, and you still only have 5 coins.

Or you add Stewards into the mix and you have an Apprentice and 3 Stewards and an Estate, and you use the Stewards to get more cards... That don't work out... Damn. Shoulda bought a Gold.

Meanwhile your wife is using other cards you've created to royally kick your ass. I swear, the first game she had 5 Provinces to my 2 (with one of hers trashed by a Saboteur). We balanced some other cards after that.

OK, maybe it is a powerful card if you didn't play dumbly. I wouldn't know.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Leung
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The art you do for the cards are amazing.
Can you do some art for some of my creation too?
I would love to see them printed and play at home.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Leung
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This card would be completely broken if paired with something like this

I remember somebody talks about a card to turn actions into money. Here is my version of it:

Tax Collector
Cost: 5
Type: Action
Effect:
+2 gold
Tax Collector returns to your hand after you play it.

--------------------
Village newbs are not so newb after all if this card is in the game, HAHA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
theatog wrote:
The art you do for the cards are amazing.
Can you do some art for some of my creation too?
I would love to see them printed and play at home.

I wish I were that good an artist. I get my art from flickr.com, specifically searching for Creative Commons build upon share alike art, which means it is free to use as long as you don't charge for your creation, credit the original artist, and share your product under the same license. Further, I choose build upon so I can edit it when I need to.

That's why all the cards have a url in the bottom left corner. It links to the art owner's page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Leung
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
No not just the art i am talking about.

The whole card frame and fonts. Like I dont think i can even blend the text onto the card without turning the background to white (basically erase it with Paint and type over it)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
theatog wrote:
No not just the art i am talking about.

The whole card frame and fonts. Like I dont think i can even blend the text onto the card without turning the background to white (basically erase it with Paint and type over it)
Here ya go:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Young
United States
Sterling
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, here are some graphic layout tips:

1. Don't use microsoft paint. If you can afford it, use Photoshop. If you cannot afford it, or you like to support open source, use gimp.

2. Once you get photoshop or gimp, learn about layers. You can put each of your elements on a different layer, which gives you all sorts of flexibility. Further, you can do layer effects like shadows, beveling, or an outer glow.

3. http://whatthefont.com is not too bad for font matching. You give them a picture of some text in the font and they tell you what the font is. There are zillions of free fonts on the web available for download.

Hope this helps!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin
United States
Creve Coeur
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:
1. Don't use microsoft paint. If you can afford it, use Photoshop. If you cannot afford it, or you like to support open source, use gimp.

2. Once you get photoshop or gimp, learn about layers. You can put each of your elements on a different layer, which gives you all sorts of flexibility. Further, you can do layer effects like shadows, beveling, or an outer glow.

Another popular, free (but not fully open source), layer-based image editor: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paint.net
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron Leung
Canada
Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Wow!! this is amazing tips. Thanks so much.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dale yu
United States
Cincinnati
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
If you're not part of the soultion...
badge
You're part of the precipitate!
mbmbmbmbmb
Buggy wrote:

3. http://whatthefont.com is not too bad for font matching. You give them a picture of some text in the font and they tell you what the font is. There are zillions of free fonts on the web available for download.

Hope this helps!

In case it helps, the font used in the Dominion cards is "Trajan Pro"

It can be found at:

http://www.searchfreefonts.com/font/trajan-pro-regular.htm

Hope this helps
Dale
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mat Nowak
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In case anyone is making Dominion cards and doesn't want to pay big bucks for the official font, a similar looking font called Optimus Princeps should do the trick!

http://www.dafont.com/optimusprinceps.font
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Dexter Ward
Canada
Halifax
Nova Scotia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It only costs 2....that doesn't seem too balanced to me. 3 or 4 sounds more like it IMO.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barney M
United States
Milton
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Trajan Pro is built into Adobe Photoshop CS2 which is now essentially free since they are no longer verifying the license for it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Camilleri
Australia
flag msg tools
Apocrypha wrote:
It only costs 2....that doesn't seem too balanced to me. 3 or 4 sounds more like it IMO.

If I am getting 2 actions then most of the time I would much rather have +1 card than a third action. So I don't think this is worth three. Heck I would rather have almost anything other than a third action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It looks weak to me; but you've actually playtested it so I could be wrong. There's 2 cards I think it can be compared to:

Necropolis - A generally super-weak card that you only ever have because it starts in your deck. Unless it's the only village available, you'll probably want to trash it most of the time like you would any other starting card. The question is if changing +2 actions to +3 actions makes it go from a junk card you want to trash, to a card you'll actually pay for. Hard to say.

Port - Port is very similar to a village that says "+1 card, +3 actions" (because that's the effect you get if you play 2 Villages/Ports). So here, the question is if losing the +1 card changes the $4 to a $2. I feel like losing the +1 card is a bigger impact than that; where it could easily turn a $4 into a card you almost never want. Then again, Port is one of the strongest $4 cards.

If the card is worth having, it's definitely priced correctly. At 3 it looks bad compared to vanilla Village.

*Edit* LOL just saw the date of this post! So I'm kind of curious how such a card holds up in today's Dominion landscape.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt E
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The thread that wouldn't die!

I mean probably it's a fine $2 card. Weak, but you'll totally still buy it plenty. You could maaaaaybe even add +$1 and keep it at $2.

I think Port is its own monster. You often have to buy it earlier than you want to, since there are effectively only 6 copies of Port in the Supply. So that's the extra "cost" on top of its $4 price tag: if you don't get them early, they might be gone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonatan Djurachkovitch
Sweden
flag msg tools
I was thinking of an action-treasure card that gave two actions if in the action phase, or one buy if in the buy phase. Is the price of 3 too much?

Sadly because of its typing, i can't make a digital version

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusing Manifestation
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonatan20004 wrote:
I was thinking of an action-treasure card that gave two actions if in the action phase, or one buy if in the buy phase. Is the price of 3 too much?

Given that Native Village gives +2 Actions and a situationally powerful thinning/mass draw ability, I would say that a card that gives +2 Actions *or* +1 Buy would probably barely be worth $2. Even +2 Actions *and* +1 Buy would probably be a weakish $2.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Crawford
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonatan20004 wrote:

Look at Squire. For a $2 card, you get +$1, and the choice of +2 Actions, +2 Buys, or gain a Silver. As well as trashing shenanigans. This is way better than simply "+2 Actions or +1 Buy".

Your card being a treasure also means it couldn't be drawn dead, sure, but that's only a slight buff over making that choice in the Action phase. I'm not sure if your card concept could be fixed in such a way that it's not simply too similar to Squire.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.