Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I know The Phantom Menace is not popular, but he seems kind of bitter. Who does he think he is Harrison Ford?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds to me that he just has issues with people picking on him (or with him thinking people are picking on him), not with the phantom menace or with the acting job. And he definitely doesn't seem to think that he is Harrison Ford.

Edit: I totally agree with him that the Phantom Menace was aimed at 9 or 10 year olds. I think that Lucas may have made a mistake in either misunderstanding who his biggest fans were. I mean, sure he did OK with it, but the people who most wanted to see the film were those who saw the original Star Wars when they were kids, not the people who are kids now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Which speaks directly to how badly the franchise has slipped. When I saw Star Wars 7 times in the theatres back in '77, I and most everyone else in line was 9-11 years old. In fact, I'm pretty sure those the first times I went downtown unaccompanied by parents: just me and 4-10 buddies, over and over and over again. That Lucas et al were incapable of entrancing today's kids in the same manner is pretty weak.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds like we need a Phantom Menace: Real Fans Edition!

1)Obviously No Jar-Jar.

2)Change Anakin's name so there's no "Annie! Annie!"

3)No Kid. Make the character older so there's no wierd stuff like Queen Amidala falling in love with an 8 year old!

These are just a few of my critiques and I still liked bits of the movie. Feel free to add your own.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CHAPEL
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"that's a smith and wesson, and you've had your six"
mbmbmbmbmb
Another child actor that grew up looking weird.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AMERIGAMER!
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cry cry cry

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Sherman
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
I didn't watch the interview, but how many times does he say "yippee"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommynomad wrote:
Which speaks directly to how badly the franchise has slipped. When I saw Star Wars 7 times in the theatres back in '77, I and most everyone else in line was 9-11 years old. In fact, I'm pretty sure those the first times I went downtown unaccompanied by parents: just me and 4-10 buddies, over and over and over again. That Lucas et al were incapable of entrancing today's kids in the same manner is pretty weak.

Yeah, unfortunately the strategy seemed to be to create a movie that was able to reach down to the barney level of development. If the kids bonded to the movie at that age and then grew up with the successive movies then they'd be locked in for life.

The problem is that baby talk and fart jokes aren't edifying. I saw ANH when I was five and I knew then that it was above and beyond anything else out there because I saw it in the reactions of all the adults around me. Everyone took a level of serious satisfaction to it regardless of their age. I could tell that adults weren't talking down to me when we would have discussions about it. All of that made the movie have an elevating element to it.

If he could have kept to that ANH tone and not gone down to something akin to Scrappy Doo and all of the "baby looney toons" type level then adults would have lauded it again and another generation would be able to grow up being lifelong fans. Instead now you grow out of it.

Still, Lucas is on record many a time saying he wanted the movies to be far lighter. He said he didn't think ESB should have been made as well as it had been. The Ewoks were a sure sign of the tone he wanted to set. So his vision was great on an aesthetic level, but he had an awful vision of the demographic he was aiming for the whole time.

If only I could be a billionare, go back in time to the desperate moments during ANH when funding was up in the air and bought the rights from Lucas!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken H.
United States
Amherst
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I really didn't think Phantom Menace was that bad. The depth of story and character is not that different from the original trilogy, and the action scenes are quite a bit better. The acting is mostly better also.

davestephens wrote:
1)Obviously No Jar-Jar.

I never understood the Jar-Jar hate. He's no worse thatn R2's constant bleep-blooping, or C3PO's constant yammering. After all, Yoda talked funny too.

Quote:
2)Change Anakin's name so there's no "Annie! Annie!"

I don't see a problem there either.

Quote:
3)No Kid. Make the character older so there's no wierd stuff like Queen Amidala falling in love with an 8 year old!

Okay, you've got a point there. The kid was necessary to the overall plot, but yes he could have been older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.