Popular Tags: [View All]
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://www.simmonsgames.com/products/Gettysburg/diary/Entry2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
These last few design diaries have made me want the game more and more. It's torture that a release date isn't even set yet.

I was a little confused, however, by the graphics in this entry. The front and extended front are Areas, but the placement of the "F" and "X" make it look like you're marking positions or endpoints. I realize you're trying to mark the common face/endpoint used. Perhaps, when it comes time to making examples in the rulebook, you could add gray filled shapes to indicate the areas the unit exerts field of fire over?

Do roads affect movement? There's something about Chambersburg Pike cutting right on the corner of Belmont School that distracts me. Probably too used to roads through the middle of hexes, rivers between hexes, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henri Harju
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Indeed. It looks like it won't play anything like NT, which is a good thing. My friend who played Bonaparte at Marengo before NT says he's having hard time unlearning it when playing NT.

Really looking forward to play this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Derwiński
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
1st Independent Parachute Brigade
mbmbmbmbmb
The dev diares are great to read and made me realize GoG will be so much different from NT, that it won't be just another NT with Civil War decorations, rather a completely new game with different playing habits to develop. Which means I'm going to buy it, even though I am not a big Civil War fan. Really, great work!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Something feels "off" about this for me...
I admit though, I have seen very little of the actual game at this point, but the Union unit continuously falling back like that doesn't feel right to me.

I also agree with James, the road feels awkward.

-Just some constructive criticism and something to think about, even if only for a moment, before you dismiss it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Archinerd wrote:
I admit though, I have seen very little of the actual game at this point, but the Union unit continuously falling back like that doesn't feel right to me.

Buford's objective this early in the battle was to delay the Confederate advance until Union infantry could take position further south, so the Union cavalry is "fighting" a delaying action by, presumably, not letting the Confederate unit use its full movement, which I believe Bowen is trying to show from the interaction of movement and field of fire rules. The cavalry could hold their ground, but the resulting battle probably won't go in their favor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
The Herbie Nichols Project - Dr. Cyclops' Dream
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fusag wrote:
Buford's objective this early in the battle was to delay the Confederate advance until Union infantry could take position further south, so the Union cavalry is "fighting" a delaying action by, presumably, not letting the Confederate unit use its full movement, which I believe Bowen is trying to show from the interaction of movement and field of fire rules. The cavalry could hold their ground, but the resulting battle probably won't go in their favor.

Excellent analysis. Infantry couldn't engage cavalry if the cavalry chose to withdraw, and choosing to go toe to toe was likely to be suicidal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Derwiński
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Except that it looks infantry can delay in the same way as cavalry (so that doesn't depend on mobility). But perhaps that was the reality, that it was easier to withdraw while the enemy was preparing to attack.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
morvael wrote:
Except that it looks infantry can delay in the same way as cavalry (so that doesn't depend on mobility). But perhaps that was the reality, that it was easier to withdraw while the enemy was preparing to attack.

That's a good observation. Hopefully, more will be revealed when the combat design diary entry comes out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Did the withdrawal example state that infantry and cavalry operate identically?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Derwiński
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course, that was not explained, all we know now is that you can't move into fire zone from far away. With that single rule there is now no difference in infantry or cavalry delaying actions. We'll have to wait for new diary to get more details. Surely cav will have it's special rules like in NT.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My cone of silence is chafing me severely. gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Simmons
United States
Los Altos
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
morvael wrote:
Except that it looks infantry can delay in the same way as cavalry

No, it can't. I would caution against drawing too many conclusions from a very limited example intended to teach only a few basic points. (I actually just added a postscript to the design diary entry for this very subject.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B G
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks Bowen. This clears up any concerns I may or may not have had.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominik Derwiński
Poland
Otwock
Mazowieckie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the explanation.

I got used to the scientific presicion of your rules where every word, and it's position in the sentence, is important and I love it.

Don't blame us for trying to guess how the rules will work in different situations (which were not explained yet) as we know only a little part of them

edit: my guess would now go to the fact that infantry may have problems moving (disengaging) while occupying a position that is adjacent to an area that is in enemy field of fire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.