Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Dorman
United States
Deerfield Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recently I've begun trying to get my dad away from playing more mainstream games (Monopoly, Risk, etc), so I've begun introducing a few games, here and there. Ticket To Ride has been a huge success, so today I thought I would try a recent acquisition, It's Alive. The auction mechanic seemed fairly simple, and the theme was very attractive to me.

After a warm-up game of TTR, I pulled out It's Alive. My dad seemed like the type who would take like fish to water to auction games, and he proved me right quickly, easily grasping the rules. We started play tentatively, using the basic rules, testing out the options as we drew different body parts, testing the measure of value and different strategies. I knew remembering what parts the other player had would be important, but I quickly lost track of what he had, and then he won, with me still short 3 parts.

We played again, and play moved quicker the second time, as we both were more comfortable with basic strategy. I remedied my forgetfulness of what parts he had acquired by marking them with a coin. (I am curious, is this frowned upon?) I won, buying a brain and completing my creation.

I am interested to how it plays with more than just two people. I'll have to see if my sister would be interested in playing, although see generally objects to games with "weird stuff". I have seen mention that It's Alive is a potentially good gateway game, and with these couple games, I'd have to agree with that sentiment. My dad didn't seem to mind the game, and it plays rather quickly.

Overall, a good couple games, and another game added to the "Dad Likes" pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.