Patiently waiting for the zombie apocalypse...
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The expansion allows for every "distinct" number of aristocrats past ten you get 10 vps for each.

Now this is a pretty minor, but the use of "distinct" here makes me think that this rule is not just ten points for every noble after ten or is it? Am I splitting hairs with the use of that word, or does distinct mean some specific? Any opinions on this wordage?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For endgame scoring, get rid of all but one of any type of aristocrat. Then use the remaining set, all of which are distinct from one another, to compute your bonus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

WOW ! I did not know that there is an expansion to this gorgeous game
It is now on my Wish List !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
For endgame scoring, get rid of all but one of any type of aristocrat. Then use the remaining set, all of which are distinct from one another, to compute your bonus.

First, thank you for the response.

So if I narrow all types down to 'one', then every different(distinct) aristocrat counts toward the ten needed to receive the points and every 'distinct' noble after ten they get 10 vps for each one?

If that is how you score the nobles, I have been playing the end game scoring incorrectly. We just count how many actual 'orange cards' and not each "distinct" noble. Or does the "distinct" noble scoring, effect ONLY the ones after the initial ten nobles?

I'm still a bit confused on this.. or maybe not, and I have just discovered I have been playing St. Petersburg incorrectly. If you could expound Eric, or anyone for that matter, I would appreciate.

BGG rocks,

Randall
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Randall,

End Game Scoring is only for distinct (I use the term Unique) Nobles in your possession. Duplicates have no value (except their bottom of card benefit of course) except they can be traded in towards the value of those Unique aristocrats with a cost in a square.

That will change your games quite a bit I think and make the game much more challenging! Enjoy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mehl
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
CM Randall wrote:
The expansion allows for every "distinct" number of aristocrats past ten you get 10 vps for each.

Now this is a pretty minor, but the use of "distinct" here makes me think that this rule is not just ten points for every noble after ten or is it? Am I splitting hairs with the use of that word, or does distinct mean some specific? Any opinions on this wordage?

I just assumed that for every aristocrat over the 10 on the original board, you add 10 more. For example, 10 different aristocrats gets you 55 points, 11 gets you 65 points, 12 gets you 75 points, etc.

I think the "distinct" might mean "unique."

I have been playing it wrong too. Usually our end game is adding 10 vp's for every aristocrat after 65. The clear up of this rule should make the game more strategic in regards to aristocrat trading cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Neil Thomson wrote:
Hi Randall,

End Game Scoring is only for distinct (I use the term Unique) Nobles in your possession. Duplicates have no value (except their bottom of card benefit of course) except they can be traded in towards the value of those Unique aristocrats with a cost in a square.

That will change your games quite a bit I think and make the game much more challenging! Enjoy.

modest oopps...

This will change noble end game scoring significantly. I'm sure it will become more challenging. I have always disliked noble end game scoring.... but low and behold, I have been playing it incorrectly. DOH! shake

Thank you all for the clarifications.

I love this website!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CanCon, BunnyCon...BorderCon!!!
Australia
KILLARA
VIC
flag msg tools
badge
May 2018 be all you dreamed it would be and be all that you dreamed...
mbmbmbmbmb
CM Randall wrote:
Neil Thomson wrote:
Hi Randall,

modest oopps...

This will change noble end game scoring significantly. I'm sure it will become more challenging. I have always disliked noble end game scoring.... but low and behold, I have been playing it incorrectly. DOH! shake

Thank you all for the clarifications.

I love this website!

It's always awesome when you discover that a game you love is going to get better. I've done this so often it isn't funny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Anderson
United States
Moorhead
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scoring the bonus only for distinct/unique aristocrats makes a HUGE strategic difference. It really affects your mid-to-late game decision on which aristocrats to buy. Do you buy one that you don't have yet, but you'll probably see more of? Or do you buy one that your opponent doesn't have, and there are no more of them left??
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lyn Lee Fox
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
This user will support the website in the future.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CM Randall wrote:
So if I narrow all types down to 'one', then every different(distinct) aristocrat counts toward the ten needed to receive the points and every 'distinct' noble after ten they get 10 vps for each one

Just to make sure this is clear, the "10 points per distinct aristocrat over 10" rule is an extension of the final scoring for the aristocrats in the base game.

From the base game rules, page 5:
Quote:
The points for the aristocrats:
All different aristocrats earn points (same aristocrats count nothing).

At the end of the game you count your unique aristocrats (ignore any duplicates) and use that to look up the final bonus scoring on the chart on the gameboard. Notice it says 10 aristocrats or more earns 55 victory points. The rule in the expansion simply means that the bonus scoring doesn't stop with 10 like it does in the base game.

For example, the base game rules would give you 55 bonus points for 12 unique aristocrats, meaning the extra 2 over 10 would gain you nothing. But with the expansion rules those extra 2 aristocrats would be worth 10 more a piece for a total of 75 bonus points.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.