Robert Laird
United States
Kankakee
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CarromMy favorite board game that I haven't played in years because no one wants to play or learn it is Caroms.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon Pennington
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
designer
badge
If your orange juice doesn't burn on the way down, then you need more vodka!
mbmbmbmbmb
Combat Commander: Europe shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill J
United States
Batavia
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Advanced Squad Leader. It got to the point where it actually started to make me a little depressed just looking at that large set, collecting dust. Eventually, I decided just to sell it all, get some games that would be played, and create some new gaming memories.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Tullsen
United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Galaxy's Edge - Awesome game, but my group just doesn't like it. Others I play with occasionally like it though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chony McChuukface
United States
Gilbert
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboRally I really enjoy this game, but it is too cerebral for my normal gaming partners.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taj Mahal
Vinci
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jefferson Krogh
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Fleet Battles is one, though even I would rather play Federation Commander instead.

Civilization is another, because it can take a whole day to play it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray Swan
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Diplomacy
devil

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Morton
Sweden
Vällingby
Stockholm
flag msg tools
wizalou wrote:
CarromMy favorite board game that I haven't played in years because no one wants to play or learn it is Caroms.

Really? I have no trouble getting people to play Carrom with me... I guess being Canadian may make it easier, we all grew up with Crokinole so Carrom comes fairly naturally as it's similar but clearly superior.

Strange that you haven't duly recorded a rating for Carrom.

My answer to the question: Commands & Colors: Ancients.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fishhaid
United States
Downers Grove
Illinois
flag msg tools
Hi there, Face here!
mbmbmbmbmb
HeroQuest

BK (before kids) we would get together to play this. I was Zargon, and we made it through Kellers Keep and Return of the Witch Lord. I was able to score the rest of the series including Wizards of Morcar, but kids came along and it's been shelved for 14 years. Man, how I look forward to teaching the kids....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Heath Gray
United States
Greenfield
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Turf Master.

I love this game because it feels like a race. It has great strategy if you play all three races and use the whole deck. All but about 2 other people in my play group actually like it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff slaga
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Battlestar Galactica

...all because a guy took 40 minutes to complete his turn....and I lost the group after that....now it's just the butt of jokes...

Goa

...cuz my wife hates losing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation -- my main partner for 2p games doesn't like it, and 2p games don't get played much at game group gatherings.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Conley
United States
Milwaukie
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Life is too short not to live it up a little!
mbmbmbmbmb
The Lord of the Rings co-op game. One of the guys in our group HATES the randomness. He actually switched the last few cards as we teetered on the edge of victory when he drew a card that meant we lost. He switched them out and declared that we won...no, I'm NOT making this up. shake

That was AT LEAST a year and a half ago. I WON'T play it with him again (not that he'd WANT to). Pretty sure I could get a couple of other folks to play. I really LIKE the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guilherme Goulart
Brazil
Sao Paulo
SP
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Definitely War of the Ring.

I love the game but it's looooooooooong game lenght allied with a hard restriction on number of players (1x1 or 2x2) makes it almost impossible to hit the table.

Shame
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew larcher
United States
kissimmee
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its definetly gotta be Die Macher Formula D, and Starfarers of Catan for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CCGs (mainly Redemption and .hack//ENEMY)
Cutthroat Caverns (requires a certain but large group of people)
Masquerade (not a game with wide appeal)
Inklings (word games don't happen much anymore)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Schmidt
United States
Saint Marys
Ohio
flag msg tools
Any 18XX game. "It's a train game. Wahhhh!!", "It takes too long. Wahhh!!" "My foot hurts. Wahhh!!"

Caylus.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a difficult question and after thinking about for a few minutes my first answer would have to be Die Macher.

After that the next 4 would be:

2. Tikal
3. El Grande
4. War of the Ring (First Edition)
5. (deleted)

These are all excellent games that, because of their age, long playing time, obscurity or dated looks, are difficult to get to the table. Of the 5 listed here I think the ones I have the least chance of playing are Die Macher and Caylus. I think the last game I played on this list was El Grande about 2 years ago. Everyone wants to play the new stuff.

Edit: I removed Caylus from the list because, for some unknown reason, it's getting "table time" again. My new concern is that High Frontier may move onto this list. It is an excellent game but I'm not sure if I can find the right group to play it with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alistair Stafford
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
badge
Go then. There are other worlds than these.
mbmbmbmbmb
jmagi wrote:
Battlestar Galactica

...all because a guy took 40 minutes to complete his turn....and I lost the group after that....now it's just the butt of jokes...

Ouch! There is no way a turn should take that long in any game!

My non played favourite is Java. Everyone complains about the downtime, which I agree with but with 2 or even 3 players is not THAT bad. Also because we never play it they don't want to bother learning the rules again...grrr...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaak
United States
San Francisco
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wrote about this in my review for The 24 Card Game! It's a great, speedy arithmetic game that no one will play with me because I have a knack for it.
I also love Scrabble and Perquackey, two great word games. But after I started studying Scrabble words, I lost almost all companions in the game. Generally, most speed games I love like the card game Spit, or even Egyptian Ratscrew, people don't like to compete with me.
But the big pain in my side right now is my beautiful, untouched Agricola set that none of my gamer pals will play. And I think my partner might have lost her last game of Race for the Galaxy today...

Apparently this is a major problem for me now that I think about it! New games or new friends?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GANDON François
France
PARIS
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
- Manilla (FB Delonge) because my wife really hates the luck / bet factor in it- the very reason why I find this game immensely fun.

- California (M Schacht) because they find it "too light" or dislike the theme.

- Jamaica (Braff / Pauchon) because my wife remains completely un-interested in the theme and mechanisms.

As a summary : rather lighter games with a fun factor in them because with less time to play, people tend to focus on a limited number of more challenging games.

Too bad.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
cerebralcortex wrote:
Turf Master.

I love this game because it feels like a race. It has great strategy if you play all three races and use the whole deck. All but about 2 other people in my play group actually like it.

I love this game too ... I'm not sure why most people don't seem to get it. Like you, I think it actually feels like a horse race.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Fox
United States
Chandler
Arizona
flag msg tools
Fear cannot be banished, but it can be calm and without panic; it can be mitigated by reason and evaluation.
badge
A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky, dangerous animals, and you know it.
mbmbmbmbmb
Republic of Rome. Best political game ever made.

Robert
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jordan Booth
United States
Chicago
Illinois
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne - I don't think I've played since Mayor and Abbey yet I've bought them all *dons tinfoil hat*
Dominion - My group is kinda bad for me, all they play is warhammer, SW minis, CCG/LCGs I should mention that Dominion is an LCG.
Vegas Showdown (everyone says they love it, but we still only play 1/month)
Kingsburg Thank you new expansion(s)!!
Puerto Rico - I came late to the craze, so I'm not burnt out.
Le Havre - Kinda hard to get people to play in the first place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [7] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.