Popular Tags: [View All]
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So I currently work at an FLGS in Tucson, but I will be quitting and starting law school in two weeks. I'm putting together a small list of games to buy while I still have my employee discount, and I decided Age of Steam would be one of them. I'm also seriously considering getting one or maybe two expansion maps, but I don't have a lot of money. Please help me pick out which one to get based on the following:

- It must be one of the below; these are the only ones my store can order.
- I play mostly 2-player, so if it plays 2, that's a big plus, but only if it's good as well.
- I'd prefer a small variant rule, not just another map. I've played Mississippi Steamboats and I liked it a lot.

Feel free to add comments below. The expansion I really want is the Austria/India/Spain/Mexico one, but we can't get that into the store and I don't think I can do $65 for an expansion...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Webb
United States
Western Mitten
flag msg tools
designer
badge
GET A SILK BAG FROM THE GRAVEYARD DUCK TO LIVE LONGER.
mbmbmbmbmb
I assume you're buying a 3rd edition AoS from FRED?

If that's the case, the St. Lucia map, the best 2 player map IMO, is already included in the box.

edit: Aside; a lot of people are recommending Sun/London to you, which is a very bad idea IMO. If you want a map that has a relatively slight tweak to the game the last thing you want to buy is this expansion, as it overhauls the game in very significant ways. I think London is one of the best maps, and I also like the new ideas that Sun has to offer, but do not buy this map if you're mainly interested in tweak maps. I voted for Vermont/New Hampshire given the information you gave us, because it seems to offer what you're looking for; some new things to think about, but not a whole new game to consider. If you already liked the Steamboats map, then getting that also seems sensible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:
I'll add that if you're starting law school, you're going to be PLENTY busy with that. I'd be surprised if you had time for AoS, but if you make the time, I'll bet you can do it. It IS a consuming endeavor.

I'm aware of how time consuming it'll be, but if there are people who can make it through law school while taking care of kids, going to church, or spending any amount of time in bars, then I'll have time for board games!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
banyan wrote:
aaxiom wrote:
I'll add that if you're starting law school, you're going to be PLENTY busy with that. I'd be surprised if you had time for AoS, but if you make the time, I'll bet you can do it. It IS a consuming endeavor.

I'm aware of how time consuming it'll be, but if there are people who can make it through law school while taking care of kids, going to church, or spending any amount of time in bars, then I'll have time for board games!

Yeah, you'll need something to get away from the grind. Just remember this simple formula about law school: First year, they scare you to death; second year, they work you to death; third year, they bore you to death.

Enjoy!laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
CortexBomb wrote:
Aside; a lot of people are recommending Sun/London to you, which is a very bad idea IMO. If you want a map that has a relatively slight tweak to the game the last thing you want to buy is this expansion, as it overhauls the game in very significant ways. I think London is one of the best maps, and I also like the new ideas that Sun has to offer, but do not buy this map if you're mainly interested in tweak maps. I voted for Vermont/New Hampshire given the information you gave us, because it seems to offer what you're looking for; some new things to think about, but not a whole new game to consider. If you already liked the Steamboats map, then getting that also seems sensible.

I voted for Vermont/NH because it seems to be a nice variation of the system without making tremendous changes; i.e., it's a nice stepping stone to see the variations that the system can offer. I ALSO voted for Sun/London because it provides a very different variation on the system, and can be there for when players have had enough of minor tweaks and are ready for a tighter challenge.

For that matter, I would also recommend printing out the Northern England and Japan expansion maps. Of the P&P maps I've tried, these are the best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
CortexBomb wrote:
Aside; a lot of people are recommending Sun/London to you, which is a very bad idea IMO. If you want a map that has a relatively slight tweak to the game the last thing you want to buy is this expansion, as it overhauls the game in very significant ways.

Yep. I designed both maps, and they both rewrite most of the game. There isn't much I left untouched. Additionally, neither map supports 2 players.

Verkisto wrote:
For that matter, I would also recommend printing out the Northern England and Japan expansion maps. Of the P&P maps I've tried, these are the best.

Agreed. Unsurprisingly, I have a geeklist on the area:

A good starting set of maps for a new Age of Steam owner and player
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for all the help everyone! Today I put Vermont/New Hampshire and London/Sun on order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
banyan wrote:
Thanks for all the help everyone! Today I put Vermont/New Hampshire and London/Sun on order.

Much as I appreciate the business, in your position I'd skip on the London/Sun maps and use that money for printing up good copies of Age of Steam Expansion - Japan and Age of Steam Expansion - Northern England (you can find links tot he relevant files from my geeklist: A good starting set of maps for a new Age of Steam owner and player). London & Sun are excellent maps, but they particularly reward players with a few dozen games of Age of Steam under their belt, and with less experienced players they will tend to suffer.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Spencer
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
banyan wrote:

Much as I appreciate the business, in your position I'd skip on the London/Sun maps and use that money for printing up good copies of Age of Steam Expansion - Japan and Age of Steam Expansion - Northern England (you can find links tot he relevant files from my geeklist: A good starting set of maps for a new Age of Steam owner and player). London & Sun are excellent maps, but they particularly reward players with a few dozen games of Age of Steam under their belt, and with less experienced players they will tend to suffer.

Thanks, I intend to do that as well. I already have some good materials for such printing and live next to a super cheap print shop, so that won't cost me any extra money!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Flood
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
banyan wrote:
Feel free to add comments below. The expansion I really want is the Austria/India/Spain/Mexico one, but we can't get that into the store and I don't think I can do $65 for an expansion...

Too bad you can't use my copy anymore, I would've gladly lent it to you...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jackman
United States
Indianapolis
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
clearclaw wrote:
banyan wrote:

Our groups' fifth game of AoS was on London, and i don't feel like it failed. Though London will indeed massacre you for one seemingly small mistake and a player capitalizing on that mistake. Instant production changes the game more than anything i have seen so far(except Sun, though it is there too), and truly offers some ways to interfere with others' plans.

Sun did just seem way too chaotic the one time we have played it. This was likely due to our inexperience - we all had the feeling that there was tons of options for strategy, but the options were simply overwhelming. We will come back to it after we are sick of Rust Belt/Japan/London (Which might take a while )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.