Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: Cannot Tell Light From Dark ! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Ok, I just separated the cards for the Simple game and started to read the rules.

Pg 2: "Deal 13 of these cards onto the Card Row so that 5 are in the first (lightest colour) section and 4 are in the each of the other two sections. Place the rest of this deck next to the Card Row ".

What "lightest colour" ? The row has 13 spaces for cards BUT I cannot see any difference in shade.

The fiddly 25 Yellow tokens, 18 Blue etc ....I think I sorted that out. Also Deck I (Civil) and all but Development of Politics card from Military Dark A Deck placed in their right places (I hope so, anyway).

How do I begin when I cannot understand the 13 cards and light from dark ? Once that has been sorted out, I can get started and continue reading the rest of the instuctions in the Rule Book. Do they mean the dots (3,2,1) if so: lightest colour would refer to those dotes....right ?

Again, am I right in assuming (hate that latter word) that the 13 cards are in 3 group and not face up ? Or are they in 3 groups but face down ?

Would appreciate help.

Thanks in advance.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Look carefully at the background AROUND the spaces for the cards. Those on the left (one dot) are lighter, and those on the right (three dots) are darker. The cards go face up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
♪ Isaäc Bickërstaff ♫
United States
Greer
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Entropy Seminar:
badge
The results of a five yeer studee ntu the sekund lw uf thurmodynamiks aand itz inevibl fxt hon shewb rt nslpn raq liot.
mb
elfrododumbo wrote:
Pg 2: "Deal 13 of these cards onto the Card Row so that 5 are in the first (lightest colour) section and 4 are in the each of the other two sections. Place the rest of this deck next to the Card Row".

I will never understand why FRED wrote this part of the rule book this way. It would have been much easier to say, "Starting from the left, place one card face-up in each of the 13 spaces on the card row."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Jim, I was looking at those spaces for at least half an hour and could not see the difference ! shake
Looking at the board you put up.....I still cannot see the difference. Infact, the spaces on the right look lighter to me laugh

Anyway, the dots I had right ! I wish they just said put five cards on the spaces with 1 dot each, 4 on 2 dots each and the other 4 on spaces with 3 dots each.

Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Just noticed the beige background does have three shades blush I was looking at the actual card spaces.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Isaac, you are spot on with what FRED should have said

Oooooops, I ticked Thumbs Up on Mine instead of Isaac's: Sorry. I ticked Isaacs but cannot un-tick mine now.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:
Oooooops, I ticked Thumbs Up on Mine instead of Isaac's: Sorry. I ticked Isaacs but cannot un-tick mine now.

That is odd. Why not? You should be able to cancel it just by clicking on it again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
elfrododumbo wrote:

Jim, I was looking at those spaces for at least half an hour and could not see the difference ! shake
Looking at the board you put up.....I still cannot see the difference. Infact, the spaces on the right look lighter to me laugh

Here I've highlighted the transitions:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Yes, I finally noticed that "lightest" refers to the actual background and not the card spaces. I was looking at shade variations of the card spaces.

It would have been been so much clearer to simply say "Place one card on each of the 13 card spaces" instead of "lightest" etc. I agree with Isaac on this.

I am wondering how many more problems I shall encounter in the rule book if this example is an indication of explaining a simple rule ! shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gordon Adams
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mb

Yes Phil, I will most certaintly hang on until I get the Simple game sorted first , play it a few times and then "upgrade" to Advance and finally Full Game

Patience

Sure looks like a great game and one I wanted for so long. At least I managed to get the last one from amazon UK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Seitz
United States
Glen Allen
VA
flag msg tools
badge
Like water spilled on the ground, which cannot be recovered, so we must die. But God does not take away life; instead, he devises ways so that a banished person may not remain estranged from him. 2 Sam 14:14
mbmbmbmbmb
aaxiom wrote:
You'll be a pro in no time.

At first, I utterly detested this... but once explained (thanks Tim!) it all made sense. There IS a learning curve, and on the other side you'll find a great game. Persistence pays off, but it's unfortunate that such persistence is necessary -- especially for a game.

Hang in there.

You picked it up very fast!

I would recommend that a new player just dive in and start playing solo until you the hang of the mechanics. It's really a simple game at heart, but explaining all the activities can take some time.

But this game is complicated enough that I would never teach it to a large group that had not seen it played. It's actually faster to just start playing a 2er to demonstrate the game and explain as you go and then restart, instead of trying to teach the rules to a larger group.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
My version of the rulebook (FRED 2nd printing I assume - that's the one with Alex Randolph, right?), divides the sections by the dots underneath rather than mentioning the colour of the background so they picked up on that confusion between printings it seems.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.