Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
UA Darth
United States
Boca Raton
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With all the talk of language independence, is there indeed an english version?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rik Van Horn
United States
Livonia
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My copy is from Rio Grande and in English, so yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chester
United States
Temple
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes.

And the cards have some text so there is not language independence (although I think the board and other pieces have no language). Lots of people recommend not to use the magic cards (or play them face up). I think they're fine as is, but a bit chaotic (which is OK).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mik Svellov
Denmark
Copenhagen N
EU
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only the English language edition is called "Aladdin's Dragons".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cornjob wrote:
Lots of people recommend not to use the magic cards (or play them face up). I think they're fine as is, but a bit chaotic (which is OK).

Really? I have played the game a few times with magic and once without. Well, I guess you can't really say "once", because we gave up about halfway through. It was, by far, one of the most boring gaming experiences I have ever had! The other four people agreed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't imagine playing without magic cards. They won't always be bidded on, but occasionally they're real game changers. We play with them face up (or at least knowledge of who bought what). The blind bidding is enough mystery. Leaving the cards a mystery just makes it all too chaotic.

Oh, but yes, at one time you could get an English version (from Amazon.com even).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We play with hidden magic cards. The high bidder knows all the cards in the game, as they take two, choose one, and hand the other to the second high bidder. While there are weaker and stronger cards, if you don't like not knowing the cards, spend more money on them.

Additionally, I can't imagine any game where all the cards are not snapped up. The cards have one advantage as an overall strategy. Most players will be limited to one special action per turn. A card collector only needs to play the lamp once.. and may then play as many magic cards as they have stocked.

Given the chaos of: who will swoop in with a magic carpet, double a token value, unknown guard value at the palace, blind bidding, etc.. if you are not a fan of chaos, this is the wrong game, and I find that the cards do not really add much extra and do add another viable strategic path.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dklx3 wrote:
if you are not a fan of chaos, this is the wrong game.
I think you're version sounds interesting, but I disagree with this statement. Perhaps it's true if you're playing your variant, but not all. Perhaps that's what you meant.

One of the things that puts this in my top favorite games is the mixture of known and unknown. It's like a themed version of poker. Even more importantly is the ability to adjust the level of known/unknown through the different card playing styles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kurt,

Thanks for the thoughts. A couple comments. The magic crad version I am talking about is the actual version in the rules for the game, not a player variant we have created.

I also love this game. Perhaps we are meaning different things by the word "chaos" (and perhaps I am using it differently from an established definition here at the Geek). By chaos, I mean random elements over which the player does not have control. In Aladdin, these include: the number and types of treasures available in a round, the spell cards that will come out, the value of the guard, the types of artifacts that will come available, etc. In addition, while I am not sure it is 'random', critical unknowns abound, adding to the unpredictability, including the value of opponents marker placements and the usage/nonusage of artifacts at any given moment. These certainly add to the general chaos.

None of this is to say that strategy and good play, particularly in evaluating opponents' likely plays, do not impact the game, I just think there is a lot of unknowns, and thus a very high degree of chaos. People who like full information, predictability, and long term planning in their games.. (Chess, Caylus, Puerto Rico, for examples)will not like this one. I believe even in the relatively boring base game (which we played once many years a go) without artifacts and magic cards, there is a high degree of chaos.

In any event, cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First off, I love these kind's of conversations. It's what got me hooked on the BGG in the first place.

I imagine that you are right. It's been a long time since I've read the rules, and we're probably playing a variant at best, but more likely our own house rule.

I do get what you mean about chaos (even though Puerto Rico does have a number of unknowns in the tile flips), but I get your point.

Given that my variant is likely an odd set of house rules, permit to explain why we play with knowns (artifacts and spells) rather than completely hidden information. Bear with me, this will all make sense:

I am a film maker. I'm also working hard at being a script writer (mostly for fun, but for profit wouldn't be bad). One of my major pet peeves is the use of Dues ex machina in the climax of the film or, the use of coincidence to turn the ending. It's frustrating and unsatisfying. While the film's set up can be created through coincidence, the ending should be through action and decision driven by the protagonist.

For example, the girl getting eaten in Jaws is a coincidence, as is her discovery on the beach. The ending is happens by direct result of decision and action of the sheriff. However, imagine how unsatisfying it would have been to have a sea plane suddenly fly by, and shoot the shark from the air.

I feel the same way in games. In good games, I am the protagonist, and each round is a scene in the story. I don't mind coincidence and chaos as a set-up or occasional surprises. However, there's nothing that stings more than a well thought out plan being thwarted by deus-ex machina, or a game's results that hinge on a random element. Descent, for instance, is a fun game, with the important exception of the traps. There is no way to plan for them or counter them (at least in the base game). The GM can just drop them on you on a whim and is a major flaw in what I would consider to be an otherwise excellent game. You could argue that you can assume a trap will be dropped on you, but when they can be dropped on you by simply walking or opening a chest, it seems like a very cheap trick, not an interesting one.

Now, back to the Aladdin's. What I like best about the game is the guessing and second guessing of what my opponents are going to be doing. With too much unknown (completely hidden spell cards and artifacts, yes, we play with them in front of the shield) it adds in too much coincidence for me. With all information known (except the blind bids, obviously), I can attempt to draw out spells where I want them to be played or otherwise plan for an opponents counter attack. If he still gets me with it, well, at least I knew it was possible.

There is still plenty of chaos in what cards, spells, and artifacts come up, as well as the blind bidding. It's this combination of known capabilities of the other players and guessing what they will do with that capability that pushes this into a really great game for me.

Anyway, each to their own. It's a pretty cool game that can be adjusted to different preferences in random/chaos so easily.

Although, I'm curious if your method (or the official method, as it should probably be referred to) helps cut down on the run away/gang up on the leader problem often prevalent in this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Heated agreement has been achieved. I am with you on enjoying this game, and I suspect that the people who will detest it will do so for exactly the same reasons that we like it. Incidentally, based on your above description, I am betting you will really like Ra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kurt
United States
Kirkland
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Heated agreement"! HA! That's funny. "Fine then! I agree!"

Like I said, it's this sort of actual debate, as in sharing of ideas for a greater understanding, (rather than the typical internet "I'm yelling my points at you so it must be debate" debate) that keeps me coming back here. Thank you for the interesting discussion.

Funny you should mention it, but very recently I've actually started looking into getting a copy of Ra. Given that I understand your points, and I believe you mine, you may have pushed me over the edge into actively seeking a copy of it. Thank you for the recommendation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
david landes
United States
oak hill
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Your welcome. I took a quick look at your user profile.. and promptly ran to my 7 year old to say I had been 'chatting' with someone who works on Star Wars shows... Dad gets to be hero to his 7 year old again! Your work does sound cool, enjoy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ChaosMedia Games
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Is there an English version of the rules available for download? I got the German version of the game and it is English-free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Santiago S
United States
Miami
FL
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
can anyone with english version scan the rules please

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.