Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Mooney
United States
Keizer
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had received the copy of Memoir '44 on Monday (along with Smallworld from Coolstuffinc) and read through the rules that night.

Tuesday night watched some play videos one more time and did a solo game (choosing best action for each side).

I was busy until Friday night when my oldest (11 years old) says she would like to play the game. I had about an hour to go before I need to leave for my 20th class reunion and said "you bet!"

I spent about 5-10 minutes explaining the game, showing the movement and firing chart and do a couple of practice rolls. She seemed to pick up the concept quickly.

I dolled out 6 cards to her and 4 cards to me. I said to make it easy the first time, any of the cards with lots of words we can toss (in order to just focus on fighting the flanks). I set up the board to mirror each side and allowed her to go first.

She liked the tank action right away and came after my guys (who were a little stuck behind some barbed wire). She kept getting the cards that she needed. Me? I suffered through two things ... bad rolls and right flank cards.

In the end she wiped out almost all of my forces. I declared her the winner ... she yelled out loudly "I beat dad at his new game!". My younger daughter laughed and my wife just smiled ... all well I muttered "had to get to the reunion".

Now I am looking one ebay for the "art of war" and will take her down the next time!

It was fun and I am very fortunate and thankful that my family wants to play games with me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
午餐先生
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got Memoir '44 this past weekend. Looking forward to my first game. Hope my little girl would like to play!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tanks Alot
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
go2 Youtube Historical Gaming
mbmbmbmbmb
Dice love kids.

Next time use german propoganda techniques and trade her a peice of candy for every grenade she rolls.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Mooney
United States
Keizer
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"... Honey ... are you suuuure you want to attack daddy?"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Thompson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is 6 and plays M'44. He gave me a good run for my money when he used the Soviets. The Commissar rules seem to suit youngsters better (ie he already has his command card ready for the next turn) and you can also leave out the tactic cards (as recommended in the main rules).

He also loves Wings of War but he fiddles with the aeroplanescry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.