Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Glen Oakland
Australia
Inman Valley
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've just begun teaching this to my daughters as a precursor to Oh Hell and 500. I can't find it on the data base. It was taught to me by my parents in England, and was also called Fool. I just wondered if it has another name here on BGG.

The game is played with standard 52 deck of cards. Each player is dealt seven cards, and the player to dealer's left gets eight. The players have to make hands of 3 or 4 of a kind(called a prile - in no dictionary I have), and/or 3 or 4 in a straight suit. So it can be a mixture of prile and straight or 2 priles or 2 straights.

Easy stuff; but the fun comes when someone is up. That person quickly, sneakily or noisily puts his cards flat on the table, with everyone else who notices, slamming their cards down too. The last person to put their cards down, gets a letter D for Donkey. If that same person loses the next round they get an O, then N etc. The first person who gets to Y loses the game, and in our house used to get to do the washing up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Ross
Canada
North Vancouver
British Columbia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's sounds like it might be a variant of Spoons, with some rummy like influences. At pagat.com, Spoons is also listed as Pig or Donkey. Your family's variation is different from those listed at Pagat, you have larger hand sizes and different winning hand formations, but they sound like essentially the same game. You may want to shoot Mr. McLeod (pagat's owner) an email with your variant. I imagine he'll be pleased to hear about it.
Glen Oakland wrote:
3 or 4 of a kind(called a prile - in no dictionary I have)
It's spelled "Prial", the term comes from ye olde English gambling game, Brag, and is a short form of "Pair Royal".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Oakland
Australia
Inman Valley
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
seandavidross wrote:
It's sounds like it might be a variant of Spoons, with some rummy like influences. At pagat.com, Spoons is also listed as Pig or Donkey. Your family's variation is different from those listed at Pagat, you have larger hand sizes and different winning hand formations, but they sound like essentially the same game. You may want to shoot Mr. McLeod (pagat's owner) an email with your variant. I imagine he'll be pleased to hear about it.
Glen Oakland wrote:
3 or 4 of a kind(called a prile - in no dictionary I have)
It's spelled "Prial", the term comes from ye olde English gambling game, Brag, and is a short form of "Pair Royal".

Cheers for that Sean. The Donkey we play does have elements of those you mentioned, but I tend to think it is more of a stand alone game than a variant.

Anyway, its no wonder I couldn't find Prial in any of my dictionaries, even my Modern English published in 1925.

If you/anyone wants to try this game, you can use two's as floaters to make for a quicker game, which we often do. If you don't understand the rules from above, by all means send me a message. There is one other little house rule, whereby everyone has to keep their cards in a position so they can see them and not facing down touching the table so they are TOO ready to slam down if someone else is up. My two daughters(10&12) are itching to play again this Sunday. Either that or Poison.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glen Oakland
Australia
Inman Valley
SA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well its now officially my daughters favourite game along with Galaxy Trucker. I wish I could enter it on my games collection somehow though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.