Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ian Thatcher

Phoenix
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So after spending 2 hours or so trying to figure out how to play the game with my freinds we started to play. The first game i played was a 3 player game and i finished off winning it with 46 points. Of course it wasn't great by any means but since it was a multiplayer and my (our) first go at it it seemed pretty good. (Although we didn't focus enough on the cards and seemed to try to resource whore and by the end.

Later tonight i tried out the solo version. I played it random so that i didn't choose my cards although i did do the 10 cards where you discard 3. I made special note of the rules where you only get 2 wood and have to feed people 3.

My final score on that was 68. Obviously got pretty lucky on my cards as i focused more on cards while letting the resources pile up until i need them. Now my question is where to go from there? In the instructions it mentions you should keep on occupation card and try to go for a set of higher scores. But with a score of 68 how realistic is that since i had the plowmaker, Lord of Manor, Master Builder, Conservator, and Master Brewer.(cards i ended up using during the game) I think the 3 best ones were Master Builder, Conservator, and Plow Maker. Out of those 3 which one do i keep if i'm going to try and improve my score? Or should i just play a new random game and try and shoot for over 50? Better yet should i pick out my own custom occupations and try to come up with a tecnicque to obtain the highest possible score.

Don't get me wrong i ended the game with over 16 wheat, 10 sheep and 9 cows so i had extra resources that were not utilized for points. I also was 3 pigs shy of max points and that would have given me 2 points plus another from Lord of manor. I did however end the game with only 3 major improvements and 5 minor improvements (4 of which gave me 1 point) Typically do you use all your occupation and minor improvements and how many major improvemts for the most part get used in a solo game?

Sorry if it runs off i just have too many questions and tend to overanalyze everything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Werner Bär
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thief22 wrote:
My final score on that was 68. Obviously got pretty lucky on my cards as i focused more on cards while letting the resources pile up until i need them. Now my question is where to go from there?

Read the rules again, and look out for things you did wrong.
Although 68 is doable, it's a very high score for a first solo attempt. And 46 for a first 3 player game is also much higher than usual.

Quote:
Don't get me wrong i ended the game with over 16 wheat, 10 sheep and 9 cows so i had extra resources that were not utilized for points.

A real hint that something went wrong. You shouldn't be able to get 9 cattle unless you have a card for it.
Did you realize that even if you have 6 cattle, you only gain 1 newborn per harvest phase?

Grain is doable, but unusual high. Did you realize that you can only sow grain that you have in your own supply?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave
United States
Summerville
South Carolina
flag msg tools
What daring! What outrageousness! What insolence! What arrogance!... I salute you.
badge
Conan! What is best in life? Crush your enemies. See them driven before you. Hear the lamentations of their women.
mbmbmbmbmb
Something else that may have occured is allowing the grain and vegitable actions to build up resources. Life changed a lot for us after we noticed this error after the first play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Thatcher

Phoenix
Arizona
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should also state that the other 2 players had a score of 22 and 16. Like i said it was our first time playing so we didn't really know what to expect. I was able to max out my house and population while they were more concerned with getting a little bit of everything. So i don't remember when i started to have a clear advantage over them but i think i had my 3rd person at the end of the 3rd harvest and that's when i started to pull ahead and leave them in the dust since they only had 2 family members most of the entire game except on of them had 3 by the last harvest while i had 5. I think they were too concerend with feeding their population but after seeing the way i played they were ready to play again. (I'll post up the results of that game when we play later next week.) I'm 100% sure nothing went wrong in the multiplayer game because beyond my 6 house tiles that were stone and 5 famly members along with 5 plowed feilds and 4 stables i didn't really have anything left. I had the grain to feed my people and lots of people along with my major ocupation card which netted me my score and the minor improvement that prevents you from having any negative points except from begging and empty tiles (which i had none)

So while 46 might have been decent i was also playing with newbies and like i said i overanylize everything. (I usually stomp anyone in chess)
-----

With my solo game obviously i took a completely different strategy. I went through and re-rea the rules today. I did realize about the garin and I know that i'm doing that properly. However i didn't realize that cattle only get 1 per harvest. (I did have a card for cattle) So based on that i would still have 6 cattle. Then again i couldn't find the rule that stated this either.....Not sure why. So i'll admit i made an error there. Even still i had 6 cattle based on that rule. I appreciate the feedback there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Burkman
United States
Kettering
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Peekaboo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I should also state that the other 2 players had a score of 22 and 16.

Case closed. Your opponents obviously had no clue what they were doing. Play against knowledgeable people and your 46 evaporates.

Welcome to the world of cardboard subsistence farming nonetheless!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt N

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nothing wrong with being ahead of the curve; just don't rest on your laurels. They'll catch up.

As for the solo game, I strongly recommend that you just start a new game whenever you beat the final goal score. Otherwise it'll just get boring for most people (including me). Learning how to use new occupations is one of the few skills you can carry over from the solo game to multiplayer games, along with getting full mileage out of the bonus minor/major improvements from certain actions.

Don't pick your occupations for maximum score, just play with random ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.