Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jonathan schleyer
United States
Manhattan Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was thinking of getting the beautiful French version of The Princes of Florence or the much less expensive English version of La Città. I can't decide if POF is worth twice the price... Which one should I get?

And which one is better and shorter for 2-3 players? The French version of POF has variants to play with less players so I am not concerned about playing with less than 5 - which is the usual comment for POF.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
La Citta is in the mail, so I can't give you a comparison yet. Princes of Florence is beautiful, and enjoyable with 5. I tried with with LordDillon just so he could learn the rules and be able to jump in when it was being played at game night. There was not as much tension with the auction. I'm not familiar with the variant you mentioned, so I can't comment on it specifically, but I would guess that it would have to reduce what's available for auction. If it reduced the number of different items available each auction, that might change the game unfairly, because if you're willing and able to spend the money, any item is technically available to you in any round. Perhaps they limit the number of each kind of item, so only one or two parks are available in the game. Something like that might work. If the last park comes up for auction, even if you weren't planning on buying it yet, you might jump in so as not to miss out. PoF isn't my choice for an auction game for two - I'd rather play Before the Wind or Phoenicia (I don't have Goa).

If you want similar buildings-on-a-grid that works with 2, take a look at Arkadia.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I enjoy both games, Princes of Florence more, but if you don't have at least 4 you probably don't want to play Princes of Florence (IMHO). La Citta works with fewer players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Jones
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
Well Princes of Florence is highly rated, but it's too mathy for me. Just calculate the future value of an investment, and you'll know about what to bid.

La Citta has more going on. There is a geographic aspect - how do you lay out your city with respect to other players cities? Do you want to approach near to their city or not (that might change as the game progresses). There is a sort of resource management aspect unique to this game. Do you want quarries to earn coins, or do you need farms to support a large population? This is related to the geography with different areas of the board being more fertile for those production facilities.

A big part of it is the constrained number of actions per round. That's there in Princes of Florence too. It's a bit more cutthroat in La Citta. In Princes of Florence if you don't produce a work in a round, you might fall behind, but you'll continue with forward progress next round. In La Citta, bad things can happen. Your people can starve or emigrate to a more attractive city. You can lose buildings from your city. The round is a race to just stay above water, and then if you have some spare time you can try to advance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.