Alan How
United Kingdom
Bromley
Kent
flag msg tools
badge
Do you know about Counter magazine? Geekmail me for more details
mbmbmbmbmb
Having had my moment in the spotlight of Geek of the Week, it is my turn to pass on the baton. Using the criteria of not knowing the person or coming from the same country, I decided that there ought to be some connection and some differences between who I chose and me.

So for the connection: some one who liked a game as must as me, for which I chose Crude and for the difference – someone who has a broader use of the geek 1-10 ratings than me.

So let me introduce Jason Cordes (Bagherra) and please join me in congratulating him as our new 'Geek of the Week'!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/user/Bagherra

Bagerra wrote:
think that answers most of the personal bio questions that are not game related (actually you need to watch the whole movie and not just the trailer). It's a great movie, if you haven't seen it, I highly recommend it.

As for games...they've always been in my life.
When I was very young, we had simple games in the house, but quite a few gimmicky ones. I can remember playing with the pieces from:

Ice Cube
Bionic Crisis
Chutes Away!!!!!
Jaws

I could make a killing if I still had some of those. My first memories of actually playing games by the rules are many variants of Monopoly such as El Paso Scene and Go to Texas. I also played a few games of Wahoo and Hawaiian Punch. When my brother (four years older) became a teenager, he no longer wanted to have anything to do with me, but I still had a voracious interest in boardgames and I got titles such as PAC-MAN Game, Donkey Kong, Tron: Assault on MCP Game, E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial, and Dungeon!. All my family would play with me, though was Checkers, Chess and Backgammon. I got quite good at Chess but I never really liked it. I had a friend who introduced me to Fire Power, Twixt and Chopper Strike, but I didn't really care for any of those. My favorite game that I rarely got to play was Risk.

During my middle school years, I was introduced to role playing and played quite a bit of Dungeons and Dragons and Car Wars.

When I got to high school, I joined the Chess club where I got even better at Chess, I was ranked for tournaments, but I don't remember what my ranking was. Anyways, the guys in the chess club became great friends to recruit to play other games. At first we played a lot of Dungeons and Dragons and car wars. They also introduced me to Battletech which was awesome (I have a much lower opinion now). Also at the time, I got very interested in comic books which lead to me finding an awesome game store in El Paso. There I picked up a game that would change my life...Talisman. We played a lot of Talisman, and it went so well that I went on to pick up Illuminati: Deluxe Edition which also got played a LOT. Between role playing and those two boardgames, I got a lot of game playing done in my high school years.

I went to college at Texas A&M University. My first foray into gaming there lead me to the Dixie Chicken and a game of Texas42. I didn't really care for it, but the experience would be valuable later on in my professional career. The best thing to happen while I was at college is a girlfriend of mine decided to open up a game store. Having a distributor's discount on games really beefed my collection quickly. Some of my favorite games in college were:

Supremacy I had a complete set just shy of the mega-map Wiz-War I still have both sets Family Business and I finished off my Talisman set.

Another event happened during this time...Magic: the Gathering. And I spent more than my fair share worth into it. Playing magic also got me into another habit...collecting boardgames. One night at a coffee shop in El Paso, I was playing Magic and this guy brought a copy of Dark Tower into the shop. I got a twinkle in my eye and I was hooked, I had to have one (or a dozen as it turns out).

Well, I did ALOT of game playing during college, which is not good for learning. As you can imagine, I had to spend a couple extra years to graduate, but at a cost. I had to go to a different university to lower my tuition. But BONUS! they had an awesome used game store there. I finished my degree at New Mexico State University in Las Cruces, NM. They have an awesome little used bookstore there called
COAS: My Bookstore...if you are ever in town, I highly recommend it. Coas filled out a good portion of my collection with 3M games and some of the rarer old games you see in my collection today like King Oil, Heroquest and games like that. (My copy of King Oil only cost me $3!) I also was very involved in buying and selling games on eBay. I bought 12 copies of Dark Tower, cleaned them up and resold them, sometimes at 500% profit. This fueled my ability to really get my collection moving!

Right before getting my degree, I decided it was time to get a life mate. So I went to my friends and offered to sell off some of my magic cards so I could raise money for an engagement ring. One of my friends gave me $600 for my Alpha Timewalk which bought the nicest ring I ever imagined...it was better than I had hoped. Unfortunately for me, I didn't realize how much this woman who had smitten me hated games...moment of silence...

So my first job was software development for NASA. Ultra cool. I couldn't have PICKED a better job, and it literally found me. I made sick money. Unfortunately I was not wise and squandered it. I now house one of the most massive lego collections around. I wish I had known about the games from germany at the time, it would have made a much better investment.

Games kind of cooled for me for about 4-5 years and they were just this thing I lugged around with me. I went from contract to contract and I found myself in Houston working for an oil company doing upstream oil visualization and mapping. While there, I got into Warhammer 40K. $10,000 worth into it. I have 14 armies to prove it. Anyways, I played a few boardgames, but most of the time I would go to Midnight comics and play 8-10 hours of Warhammer every weekend. I managed to pick up 3 copies of Space Hulk while acquiring my warhammer armies. I didn't care much for the game though. I was soon laid off and Warhammer turned out to be the best thing to happen to me. One of my consistent opponents was the manager at a Gateway Country and he got me temporary employment selling computers. It was just enough for me, my wife and newborn son to survive. While I worked there, I went to night school to get certified as a teacher. When I completed my certification, I moved to College Station (aggieland) to teach High School computer science.

There are some things gamers should know about teaching.
1) The pay sucks BUT, the job is stable, secure and pretty much guaranteed for life.
2) Students LOVE to play games and starting a game club makes you the coolest teacher on campus.
3) You get half the year off...plenty of time to read rules, play games or travel. I wish someone would move a game convention to the summer, it would make teaching even more awesome!

While teaching I got the bug to get more games and boy howdy did I get them. I went from 100 games to about 300. Then an incident happened, and I felt like I needed to move on so I took a job doing research in energy efficiency. This afforded me a salary to get back in to serious spending and last year I was able to get an order from essen among other things. Now my collection is hovering around the 500 mark. And honestly, I want to get it back down to 200.

And now I'm a grown up gamer...or something like that.
My favorite games are
Power Grid
Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game
Ubongo
Ghost Stories
and
Factory Fun

I am a rating zealot. I use ratings to make decisions and it really upsets me when people shill ratings or don't rate appropriately. It's a passion thing and you aren't going to change my mind about that. In fact, anything that I really believe in, you'll find that I defend aggressively. Perhaps this is a personality flaw, but I stand behind what I believe in.

I also don't find I have enough time to do everything I want to do.

okay, two truths and a lie:

1. I know simple phrases in 15 different languages.
2. I've sat inside Space Shuttle Discovery and have been in Mission Control during a flight. 3. I coined the term "Designer Game."

Man, having to follow Greg Schloesser and Alan How...I guess that makes me the broccoli.

Jason: Some questions to kick off :

1 You have Doctor Who as one of your interests. Who is your best combination of Doctors and assistants and why did you choose this pairing?
2 You have over 15% of the games that you have rated as in the 1 or 2 category. What makes them so bad and how do you distinguish between 1’s and 2’s
3 What makes a game a “10” for you, as you have a diverse set in your own 10’s

Have a great week!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Diane Close
United States
Twin Cities
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations! Now how come you haven't entered your infamous egg roll recipe in the Chit Chat Cooking Contest that ends today?!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats JAE!

Well, I'd say 2 isn't a lie. And how can we really prove or disprove the origin of 'designer game', so one must be the lie. Besides in Texas you only need two languages and on a Teachers salary you didn't get to travel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Runs with scissors
United States
Vancouver
Washington
flag msg tools
The die is cast.
badge
You say OCD like it's a bad thing.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to pick #3 as the lie.

Okay, now tell me how you're going to get your game collection down to 20 without regretting letting all those games slip out of your hands.

What game mechanics do you like, which ones do you dislike?

How did you find the group that you play most of your games with.

Is there life outside of Texas?

Congrats, and thanks for all your comments and other contributions to the geek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike K
United States
Fairless Hills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that you're a fan of both Transformers AND Sisters of Mercy ... my wife will certainly approve!

Two questions:

1) What is your personal favorite GeekList of your creation?

2) What, in your mind, is your most underappreciated (in terms of thumbs) GeekList?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Man, I go away for a couple of days and someone goes and makes me geek of the week, what is this world coming to?

Alan How wrote:

Jason: Some questions to kick off :

1 You have Doctor Who as one of your interests. Who is your best combination of Doctors and assistants and why did you choose this pairing?
2 You have over 15% of the games that you have rated as in the 1 or 2 category. What makes them so bad and how do you distinguish between 1’s and 2’s
3 What makes a game a “10” for you, as you have a diverse set in your own 10’s

First, it's Jae, only my mom and dad are allowed to call me Jason.

1. oooh, toughie. I absolutely love Patrick Troughton. He's childish, wispish, and curious but also strong and bold. If I could pair him with Ace (Sophie), I think that would be a good match. I think Ace is "ice hot". I do like the new doctor who series, but that's where my head is at.

2. If I have a revulsion to a game to the point where I would rather go punch myself in the groin than play the game, that's a good indicator that it is a 1 or 2. The difference between those subcategories is essentially a which vegetable would I less likely have on my plate choice. I've been thinking of going back and actually re-rating using sid meier's definition of a game: "A game is a series of interesting choices." which seems pretty spot on with Aldie's antithesis definition of a 1.

3. A "10" is a game that has a "semi-"permanent slot in my car for game night. Right now it is kind of meaningless as I'm very focused on getting all my unplayed games played, but I do still have some of my top shelf games with me at all times. Right now the games I never leave home without are Ubongo and Ghost Stories. Sometimes Power Grid. (the problem with power grid is that nasty two hour play time). If you follow me, you know that I re-rate my games frequently and one of the most common re-rates for me is to drop a ten. When I find I really don't want to pack a game that I've rated a ten, I'll do soul searching to figure out how much I really do want to play it and re-rate it accordingly.

pdclose wrote:
Congratulations! Now how come you haven't entered your infamous egg roll recipe in the Chit Chat Cooking Contest that ends today?!

Do you have liability indemnification waivers handy...I'm serious, they really are people killers. But if a couple of people ask, I may acquiesce.

guantanamo wrote:
Congrats JAE!
Well, I'd say 2 isn't a lie. And how can we really prove or disprove the origin of 'designer game', so one must be the lie. Besides in Texas you only need two languages and on a Teachers salary you didn't get to travel.

Thanks, and I would like to point out that I was a student ambassador to Russia in High School (I spent three months in West Russia), I grew up on the Border and worked in a box factory where I was the only one who spoke english, and I spent some time in French Canada...

And I have read Dilbert in the original Klingon

autumnweave wrote:
Okay, now tell me how you're going to get your game collection down to 20 without regretting letting all those games slip out of your hands.

What game mechanics do you like, which ones do you dislike?

How did you find the group that you play most of your games with.

Is there life outside of Texas?

Down to 20?
I think it would take a nuclear war or fire to do that.
I think I can sanely cull to 200 without much mental damage.

//edit
to fully answer your question, look at my ratings, I think you'll see it would be quite easy for me to dump about 300 games.
//edit

On mechanics, I like engines like Crude: The Oil Game where you have to have the right set of components to generate revenue to build up more infrastructure. I also like puzzles (Ricochet Robots and Ubongo) as well as gimmicky gadgets (Saturn and Nacht der Magier as well as Ab die Post!). The difficulty for me is that it is the blend of mechanics that really temper whether or not I will like a game. Agricola, for example, is an engine game. But the execution of it is very dry to me and I would frankly rather go grow real crops in my own backyard than play that game. I think theme is also VERY important for me. Take Colossal Arena for example. I had the GMT version Galaxy: The Dark Ages and I totally hated it, but I really liked titan. Same mechanics different theme.

Coyotek4 wrote:
I see that you're a fan of both Transformers AND Sisters of Mercy ... my wife will certainly approve!

Two questions:

1) What is your personal favorite GeekList of your creation?

2) What, in your mind, is your most underappreciated (in terms of thumbs) GeekList?

Is she up for trade? My trade list is current...

1. None of them. I think everything I produce is crap...it helps me strive to create something of quality eventually.

2. oooo tough choice. honestly, while I would be lying if I said I'm not about supporting underdogs, I also do try to separate myself from clear effluvia. I couldn't pick one like that. I can however tell you what I think is the most important list specifically for BGG and that is Blott's amazing Tricks of BGG geeklist:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/34918

For game related, I really admire robartin's Definitive Lists:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/923

And the computer version archive
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/8323
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations JAE. Hope you enjoy your week in the spotlight. I'm gonna say that number 3 is the lie.

And for some questions:

1) If you had to pick one "new to you" game of this year, what would it be and why?

2) If you could only keep 5 games from your collection, but you knew that you'd always have exactly the right number of people to play them whenever you wanted to. What games would you keep?

3) If you had to buy 1 gateway game for someone who had only ever played the usual Mainstream games... what would it be and why? (bearing in mind they will have to learn the game themselves)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations buddy.

First the truths and a lie.
1) I'm pretty sure you can do it in english and in Russian. I know you have trouble reading german text but I still guess that is true.

2) I think you had the chance but did something go wrong... I don't think so. I remember some pictures of you.Not there but close enough for me to make it probably true.

3) Well without reading it has to be three that is the lie.
Designer games. mmm okay in your write up you mentioned the massive lego collection you got since you hadn't heard of the german games back then.
So you would be pretty late with giving the name designer games to them.

Questions

1) Okay. I have recently gone through your wishlist so you could slim it down a bit . Could you describe the games you are looking for. (not only for you but also your family) That way perhaps somebody could recommend a game that perhaps flew under your radar. devil

2) You have talked a lot about slimming down your collection. Everything under a 7 has to go. So when are you going to auction them here on the geek.
I know at one point you were close to run an auction here but you didn't want to steal the thunder of another auction.

3) We have some similarities in our gaming collection but you are also very fond of puzzle games. Why is that exactly?

4) In the introduction McMulti is mentioned. What rule changes could make it an even better game in your opinion.

Have fun Jae, I hope you don't mind the tough questions and you enjoy answering them. That's why I asked them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Belli
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
"If everybody is thinking alike, then somebody isn't thinking."
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations.

Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
Rise, Men of Sherwood, and Play Games!
badge
Heroes can, on occasion, be made of plastic...
mbmbmbmbmb
Soon everyone but me and Wally from the Bay will be GOTWs or however you want to abbreviate it. Congratulations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Grimwold wrote:
Congratulations JAE. Hope you enjoy your week in the spotlight. I'm gonna say that number 3 is the lie.

And for some questions:

1) If you had to pick one "new to you" game of this year, what would it be and why?

2) If you could only keep 5 games from your collection, but you knew that you'd always have exactly the right number of people to play them whenever you wanted to. What games would you keep?

3) If you had to buy 1 gateway game for someone who had only ever played the usual Mainstream games... what would it be and why? (bearing in mind they will have to learn the game themselves)

1. I really don't want to answer that question, Andy. There is still six months left in the year with Essen coming up and my OCD forces me to believe that "this year" means January 1 to Dec 31. That said, if you mean the game released in the last 12 months, it's a toss up between Battlestar Galactica: The Board Game and Ghost Stories. I do enjoy Diamonds Club quite a bit, but I'm starting to feel like it may not have staying power.

//EDIT (add why)

These two games really opened my eyes to the potential of coop games, much more so than Pandemic or similar games. For Battlestar, it's the simplicity of the mechanics with the devastating one two punch of a traitor in your midst, the tension in this game is overwhelming. With Ghost Stories, the artwork was love at first sight for me. Plus who doesn't love busting ghosts. I think I'm only recently really seeing the genius of Ghost Stories. The game is INSANELY hard. One you understand the strategies the game gets easier, but there are interesting ways to ratchet up the difficulty (I used to think why I would want to, but now that I've conquered the intro challenge, I'm greedy for more!). I think Ghost Stories has more replayability than most games I own, and as I said, the artwork makes this a true piece of eye candy. A 45 minutes play time seals the package nicely. I would say that this game can be very frustrating...if you have to win at a game to enjoy it, I wouldn't play ghost stories unless you had a really good player guiding you. This is one of the few games I hope to get 100 plays in. Anything in my top ten is top notch and I have no qualms recommending any of them.

2. I'd give up games and take a harem out of my depression.
Push come to shove though, I think it would be
Factory Fun
Power Grid
Descent: The Road to Legend with all necessary accoutrement
Catan
Kingsburg

and Roma and ....

3. Having done this several times and failed miserably, I can say with confidence that Ticket to Ride is the universal gateway game. Just the rules simplicity alone make it the end all be all gateway game. Nexus Ops is a VERY bad choice...for those keeping score.

KrisVerbeeck wrote:
Congratulations buddy.

First the truths and a lie.
1) I'm pretty sure you can do it in english and in Russian. I know you have trouble reading german text but I still guess that is true.

2) I think you had the chance but did something go wrong... I don't think so. I remember some pictures of you.Not there but close enough for me to make it probably true.

3) Well without reading it has to be three that is the lie.
Designer games. mmm okay in your write up you mentioned the massive lego collection you got since you hadn't heard of the german games back then.
So you would be pretty late with giving the name designer games to them.

Questions

1) Okay. I have recently gone through your wishlist so you could slim it down a bit . Could you describe the games you are looking for. (not only for you but also your family) That way perhaps somebody could recommend a game that perhaps flew under your radar.

2) You have talked a lot about slimming down your collection. Everything under a 7 has to go. So when are you going to auction them here on the geek.
I know at one point you were close to run an auction here but you didn't want to steal the thunder of another auction.

3) We have some similarities in our gaming collection but you are also very fond of puzzle games. Why is that exactly?

4) In the introduction McMulti is mentioned. What rule changes could make it an even better game in your opinion.

Have fun Jae, I hope you don't mind the tough questions and you enjoy answering them. That's why I asked them.

1. No, actually I can't. What I like and what the people I play games with like are pretty divergent, so I need a little of everything. I also haven't exactly put my finger on the magic formula for games I will like, but I do know that theme has a LOT to do with it.

2. When it becomes economically necessary...which unfortunately may happen sooner than later as I think I'm about to lose my job

3. I'm right and you're wrong. Actually, I think it has to do with the fact that I'm a computer programmer and you are a logistics manager. Computer programming is essentially about solving problems all day long, it's nice to divert yourself with an interesting problem from time to time.

4. I have so many ideas it would take me a day just to lay out the notes let alone my dissertation on the matter. I think first and foremost is cleaning up the economy change system. I don't think it quite works the way it is. I also would change the end condition, leaving it at a dollar amount can make the game last way too long and also feels tedious.

tough questions: yeah I can handle 'em, I just hope someone asks one soon, these are all easy

Vanhel wrote:
Soon everyone but me and Wally from the Bay will be GOTWs or however you want to abbreviate it. Congratulations.

The first rule of fight club...

//edit spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
Congratulations JAE. Another great GOW.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alfred
Netherlands
Noord-Brabant
flag msg tools
mb
Congrats Jason. thumbsup

Q: Bagherra or Bagheera?

Q: Why the TRON ueberbadge?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Der Das wrote:
Congrats Jason. thumbsup

Q: Bagherra or Bagheera?

Q: Why the TRON ueberbadge?

I have both registered on BGG but Aldie never took the time to help me recover the original account.
At this point it would be a nightmare to move over anyways.
It turns out it's easier to register bagherra on new sites as there are many Bagheera's out there.

Tron 2 is coming out in a couple of years, and I've seen the trailer and I'm totally geeked about it. Besides if you don't like TRON...

//EDIT:
The video is grainy, but here is the trailer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill the Pill
United States
Oneonta
New York
flag msg tools
mbmb
I would think the football coach in a Texas school would be the coolest on campus, but I've been wrong before.

Congrats on GotW!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DrFlanagan wrote:
I would think the football coach in a Texas school would be the coolest on campus, but I've been wrong before.

Congrats on GotW!

No doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kris Verbeeck
Belgium
Mol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bagherra wrote:

3. I'm right and you're wrong. Actually, I think it has to do with the fact that I'm a computer programmer and you are a logistics manager. Computer programming is essentially about solving problems all day long, it's nice to divert yourself with an interesting problem from time to time.

Actually you are wrong. I am an assistant factory controller. That title is far more impressive than what I actually do.
Actually I've said on numerous occasions that my job is problem solving.

I like economic systems and looking for solutions out of the box.
I know most games are tested and balanced so infact every game is some sort of puzzle. I only think some puzzles have more possible solutions than others.

Games where you have to make a certain shape. Or build something with pieces well they feel repetitive to me. Even when played once and the shape is different each time.
Which is kind of a strange since I like to play snooker and Crokinole and basicly you do the same thing each time. But to me that feels more like skill.

Games here you have to react to what happens on the board and where you have to try to figure out what somebody else is doing or trying to do are in essence puzzles but far more interesting puzzles to me than "solved" puzzles.

Example
For instance I think Rubiks cube is very ingenious. But I just can't go ahead and solve it the way you are supposed to solve it.
Galaxy trucker (I know this is a loved game by some people in this thread)well I will play this a couple of times but more because of the experience than actually trying to make some sort of standard ship.There has to be some standard way to build a very good ship with excellent chances of surviving

Well I love Indonesia a lot because the game keeps me alert. I have to react to threads on the board and decide how much of a thread they form.

I'm not saying that Galaxy trucker is a bad game. Not at all. I enjoy the experience. But I prefer trying to outsmart my friends in other games.

Am I wrong? I don't think so.. I see the attraction of that type of game and I even admire it when I see it.

Are you right? You probably are.

So you wanted a tougher question.

Will you add an item to one of the geeklists you mentioned in this thread shortly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
KrisVerbeeck wrote:
Actually you are wrong. I am an assistant factory controller. That title is far more impressive than what I actually do. Actually I've said on numerous occasions that my job is problem solving.

I'm not much on picking nits. I'm actually a Sr Software Engineer, or something like that. All it really means is I sit on my butt all day long and push buttons.

Semantically you are correct. I think my intent was to say you do risk management and assessment. This is discretely different from pattern recognition, which is the basis for most, as you put it, "puzzle games".

//edit
I thought about it and technically risk assessment is a form of pattern recognition, so I'm not sure what the correct vocabulary is to use to explain my opinion correctly
//edit

Programmers have to be good at creating form out of the formless void and much of that is understanding how to collate and associate patterns. It's essentially the same skill you exercise when you do sudoku (which I do about 20 sudoku puzzles a day just before bed).

Quote:
snip your definitions and summarize them to: Risk Management/ Financial Simulation; Pattern Matching or Path Finding; Tactical Control game.

Galaxy trucker (I know this is a loved game by some people in this thread)well I will play this a couple of times but more because of the experience than actually trying to make some sort of standard ship.There has to be some standard way to build a very good ship with excellent chances of surviving

I actually thought you'd like GT alot since it is about risk management.
I think the most important thing about GT is that you really need to look at the cards during ship construction so you know what you need to build. If you don't look at the cards, you are just shooting in the dark. Now you can actually build a good "general design" that can survive most trips, but a specialized ship will always win out to a generic one.

Galaxy Trucker is an amazing game I definitely need to play more of.

Quote:
(blah blah blah) Indonesia (blah blah blah)
I'm not saying that Galaxy trucker is a bad game. Not at all. I enjoy the experience. But I prefer trying to outsmart my friends in other games. Am I wrong? I don't think so.. I see the attraction of that type of game and I even admire it when I see it. Are you right? You probably are.

I was just trying to get your goat.
Indonesia and Galaxy Trucker differ in one huge way. Indonesia is a financial simulation. Galaxy Trucker is just stupid silly fun. Trying to reverse their roles would be disastrous.

Quote:
So you wanted a tougher question.
Will you add an item to one of the geeklists you mentioned in this thread shortly?

ninja
That would be telling.
Actually I just got three people to help me so it looks more likely to happen now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T. Nomad
Netherlands
Den Bosch
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats, Jae. Good choice, Alan.

Here's some Pivot for you:

1. What is your favourite word?
2. What is your least favourite word?
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? (or, what's your favourite drug?)
4. Whom would you put on a new currency bill?
5. What sound or noise do you love?
6. What sound or noise do you hate?
7. What is your favourite curse word?
8. What profession would you not like to do?
9. If reincarnation exists, in the form of which plant, tree, or animal would you like to return?
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

to which I'll add:

11. If there's ever a LEGOgeek under the geekdo banner, what would you like to see?
12. You say Power Grid is a pain at 2 hours. What's the longest game you love, and do you love it in spite of its length? Is there a long game out there you love because of its length?
13. Best / worst teaching moments?

#1 is the lie.

Enjoy your week!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tommy, your questions are the ones I most was looking forward to as GotW.

tommynomad wrote:
Congrats, Jae. Good choice, Alan.

Here's some Pivot for you:

1. What is your favourite word?
2. What is your least favourite word?
3. What turns you on creatively, spiritually or emotionally? (or, what's your favourite drug?)
4. Whom would you put on a new currency bill?
5. What sound or noise do you love?
6. What sound or noise do you hate?
7. What is your favourite curse word?
8. What profession would you not like to do?
9. If reincarnation exists, in the form of which plant, tree, or animal would you like to return?
10. If Heaven exists, what would you like to hear God say when you arrive at the Pearly Gates?

to which I'll add:

11. If there's ever a LEGOgeek under the geekdo banner, what would you like to see?
12. You say Power Grid is a pain at 2 hours. What's the longest game you love, and do you love it in spite of its length? Is there a long game out there you love because of its length?
13. Best / worst teaching moments?

#3 is the lie.

Enjoy your week!

1. indeed. After you hear Teal'C say it, it just gains deeper meaning. Close second is tied between Grok and Copasetic. I really love both of those words and how deep their meanings are. I especially like copasetic in that most people don't realize what it means, but there are so many appropriate times to use it.

2. basically. If it really was that basic you wouldn't have to use so many syllables.

3. Talking with people and playing games with kids. I don't like talking to kids though...they talk too fast and rarely make sense.

4. I think money should be abolished.

5. Nothing livens a room like a good sonorous fart.

6. Screaming (screeching), especially young children (girls) on indoor playgrounds.

7. I will quote a fellow camp counselor at a summer camp I once assisted at: "Fuck is such a fun word to say."

8. I don't really like working to begin with, so anything really. But if it were a random dole and we could opt out of one, I'd probably have to pick Underwater Diver with a specialty in sewer maintenance and repair.

9. Whatever would give me the greatest likelihood of interstellar travel...

10. "I love you." Sometimes, even if you know it's true, you need to hear it.

11. oooo, I would like set numbers with instructions for the main set and user provided plans for alternate sets you can create with the contents of that set. Also piece counts and notes on unique pieces. I often have to look up plans for sets because I have some pretty old SPACE and CASTLE sets that I've long lost the plans to. I'd also like to see typical build times, number of pieces, weight and constructed size.

12. 2 hours is not a pain for ME. It's about convincing others to commit to that time frame. I would actually play Power Grid at the drop of the hat. As for long games, I like Car Wars, Battletech and Talisman. I think Talisman wins for time, though. The longest game of Talisman I've played took 14 hours. And we loved every minute of it. The shortest was 14 seconds (astropath to omnipotent being, to crown of command to dragon king away). As I get older, I'm also more time conscious so I tend only to pick games that take less than 2 hours. This is one of the death nails for Scepter of Zavandor (the other was that the economic system was too tight).

13. Worst moment: getting punched by a student, then ridiculed by the vice principal in front of the class over it.
Best moment: there are too many. The most recent was a former student of mine just got rewarded as "student worker of the year", he is a few hours shy of being a college senior, he has a 4.0 average and when I got him in my class, he was failing half his classes and had no idea what he wanted to do in life. He latched onto my class like a leech and he has done amazingly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davido
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
As a University of Texas Longhorn alum, gotta say "Who let the Aggie in?".
As a gamer Geek, gotta say, who cares, another "He hasn't been GOTW already, about freakin' time"

I agree w/ another above that #3 (Designer Game) is so broad and non-falsifiable as to be the lie.

Question: You rate Cosmic Encounter an "8", preferring the AH version-I'm an EON man myself, so would like to know why the love for a aesthetically pleasing, but game-play nerfed version (e.g. 20 powers, 4players, no extra goodies such as flares).

Followup: Have you played the new FFG version-any opinions how it rates viz the AH game?

Car Wars appears to be a rite of passage for Texas gamers of a certain era-you rate it middling, but do admit to liking the game

Quote:
As for long games, I like Car Wars, Battletech and Talisman.

1) Favorite division and car from that division (or boat or helicopter or...)

2) Tell us a good Car Wars story
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Reilly
United States
Bryan
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congratulations, Jae!

I've had the pleasure of playing with Jae quite a few times. He's a pretty cool guy, fun and friendly. And he likes to swim with dolphins! Whenever I'm talking to my wife about my gamer friends and she asks "which one was he?" I say "he's the guy who swam with dolphins.laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent choice - congrats, Bagherra!

3 quick questions for you:

1. What game do you own that you think is most in need of an expansion?

2. What was the last book you read and loved?

3. What's your favorite geeklist ever on BGG?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob
United States
flag msg tools
Be sure to taste your words, before you spit them out.
badge
If you climb in the saddle, be ready for the ride.
mbmbmbmbmb

Congratulations JAE!!! thumbsup

Another super GoTW selection!

What is your most and least favorite game mechanic?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Orlando Ramirez
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Congrats JAE!!

I'm also totally geeked out for Tron2. So far it looks SWEET, the tron 2.0 game kinda took things to an awkward tangent, but this trailer looks to put things back in its place.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.