Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This year will be my 15 straight trip to Gen Con. It's my one vacation per year, it's sort of taken the place of Christmas for me as I've grown up: I start looking forward to the next one as soon as it's over, I spend the weeks leading up to it making lists, and I'm a little sad when it's done.

Over the years Gen Con has changed quite a bit for me apart from the typical "it's in a different city/in a different building" sort of changes. For several years I was a Magic the Gathering junkie, playing tournaments, getting cards autographed and hunting for bargains in the dealer's hall. From Magic I moved on to D&D for a few years, and starting a couple of years ago I've gravitated towards board games.

Here are some photos taken over the years which may or may not be on interest to my fellow BGGers. Feel free to add your own pictures, comments or stories.

1999: A photo of myself next to the giant d20. The giant d20 has been a staple of Gen Con until this year: they drilled a hole in it, let people fill it with dice and auctioned it off last year.)

1995: Heads up, Magic the Gathering fans! Can you spot the cards sketched on the mat? I bought this at my first Gen Con in 95 and took it around to have the Magic artists sign and sketch it. Back then getting a playmat signed was still novel, these days it's pretty common and I think the artists are sick of it.

1999: A photo of my buddies and I around a nice old security guard at the convention center in Milwaukee. Okay, so it's actually a wax dummy, not a real person. It took some time to be certain, though.

1998?:The old convention center in Milwaukee had a button next to an escalator in an unused part of the building labeled "Push to play polka." It worked. Amazing.

2003: It is not poop in the toilet.

1996: Myself with artist Dan Frazier. I met him in '95 and taught him how to play Magic. Fun guy.

2004: Not technically Gen Con, but we used to have a tradition where every year before leaving town to head to Gen Con, we'd smash an unwanted appliance of some kind. Start the vacation off with a bang, if you will. I call this one "Before."

2004: This is what happens when a splitting maul meets a TV screen, kids.

2004: "After."

2007: My wife and teaching Settlers at the big 3d Catan table at the Mayfair booth.

2007: My buddies and I at The Ram in Gen Con. This place is a must visit location every year. The owner is a gamer, and he decorates the place with gaming stuff, has fantasy themed things on the menu (fried goblin fingers) on the menu, fantasy themed brews, shirts, mugs, etc. This was the year we met Gary Gygax at The Ram.

2008: One of my favorite images. My buddy Jimbob slumped over, sleeping against the trash can outside of the auction room on Saturday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
tim Tim TIm TIM TIMMY!!
Costa Rica
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A tribute to office space - is that the movie where they trash the copy machine?

Great photo´s thanks for sharing, so um what is in the toilet???

I am not a photo guy or I would add some form last year, but it does make me want to bring a camera this year?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hendal wrote:
A tribute to office space - is that the movie where they trash the copy machine?

Great photo´s thanks for sharing, so um what is in the toilet???

I am not a photo guy or I would add some form last year, but it does make me want to bring a camera this year?

Yep, that's Office Space. Every now and again, destroying an inanimate object is very therapeutic.

We'll see if anyone can guess what's in the toilet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jgerman wrote:
Mr_Nuts wrote:

1999: A photo of myself next to the giant d20. The giant d20 has been a staple of Gen Con until this year: they drilled a hole in it, let people fill it with dice and auctioned it off last year.)

The die auctioned off in honor of Gary last year was not that die.

Nice pics though.

No? I'd assumed it was the same one. The only big d20 I saw last year was the one being auctioned off.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So it is! Well played, sir.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.