Subject: New army: The Dancer (released) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: N_Hex_Fan_Armies [+] [View All]
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
bgdev.club is really a site address, no www or .com needed :)
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
There is now a release of this army! See New army: The Dancer
The text below is not the released version.

Alpha testing stage of a new army. It was inspired by the ground-breaking Mephisto by Michallus.

The Dancer is one of the most feared, and certainly one of the most expensive, mercenaries known among the clans. He only accepts payment in unique and interesting technology artifacts. According to legend, the Dancer was an augmented and highly gifted dancer that developed strange powers during his continued exposure to the traditional trance-inducing drugs of his dancing troupe. With further augmetics and advanced technology amassed over the years, he is now a one-man army that has grown too influential for his own good.

The Dancer casts his shadow on the world in three separate places at once, his three faces. These are both units and headquarters for your army, the army has no other units nor any modules to place on the board. Each face counts HQ points separately, and each starts at 10. If any face is reduced to 0, the Dancer is dead and you have lost. The Dancer always sets up first, with the backs of the three faces showing. There must be at least one square of board between each face. After the other players have deployed their HQs, the faces are revealed and can be positioned in any way.

Special rules:

The Dance:
You can skip your normal turn and discard all your tiles, and change places and facing of any or all the faces.

One-man army:
The dancer takes damage and deals damage to other HQs like a unit does. He is not affected by allies modules, he is too different.

Augmetics:
A face that is under a net is affected normally, except that it can move away during a Dance or by a move tile. If it does so, it suffers 1 wound regardless of the number of nets it is under.

Separate manifestations:
You may not move the the faces voluntarily so that they are adjacent.

Actions:
When one of the special action tiles are played, choose one face. It can perform one (or one of) its actions immediately.

Tiles:
1 x The Cage
HQ (10); Ini 0; 3 nets, 3 CC attacks, evenly mixed
Action: Push or grab one enemy tile.

1 x The Hammer
HQ (10); Ini 1; 3 Pow2 CC attacks, 3 Pow1 CC attacks, evenly mixed
Action: Deal one damage to a tile next to the Hammer.

1 x The Seducer
HQ (10); Ini 2; 3 Pow2 Shooting attacks, 3 Pow1 shooting attacks, evenly mixed
Action: Make a single Pow1 shot in any direction.

10 x Action
(see special rules)

6 x Battle

4 x Pushback

4 x Grab

8 x Move

Army tiles by MichallusTG: http://michallus.nshex.com/Tancerz.pdf

Photo of printed and cut army at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/527306/

Edit: Clarified the Dance (may move any or all faces), changed separate manifestations (may not move them next to each other voluntarily).
Edit2: Added link to the army tiles, changed 12 Actions to 10 and 4 Battles to 6 as per Michallus post below. Changed subject. Changed intro sentence to better reflect current status.
Edit4: Added link to photo.
Edit5: Changed Ini 1 Pow 3 CC attacks to Pow 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Join the Board Game Development Club, see behind the scenes, participate in development, add the games you are working on
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Army idea: The Dancer
RustanR wrote:
After the other players have deployed their HQs, the faces are revealed and can be positioned in any way.

Oops, I mean the tiles can be rotated in place, not moved to anywhere else. Is the text clear enough?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Graf
Germany
Koblenz
flag msg tools
designer
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
badge
Help me! I got addicted to MtG again!
mbmbmbmbmb
RustanR wrote:
The Dancer is one of the most feared, and certainly one of the most expensive, mercenaries known among the clans. He only accepts payment in unique and interesting technology artifacts. According to legend, the Dancer was an augmented and highly gifted dancer that developed strange powers during his continued exposure to the traditional trance-inducing drugs of his dancing troupe. With further augmetics and advanced technology amassed over the years, he is now a one-man army that has grown too influential for his own good.

I'm hooked. This sounds really cool and I still have some shrink plastic left...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I am way too anxious to not make a copy of this army myself now.

What about the HQ? Does one draw just any one of the three faces? Nevermind, read more about it.

I imagine a fight between it and Mephisto. It may be quite hard for them once the board is full and the enemy has 15 tiles while the Dancer has three - but, this needs to be played out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the positive comments!

Feel free to make an army for it Michal, use your experience to adjust and change the tiles!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
During the Dance, do you have to change position of all the Dancer's faces?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MichallusTG wrote:
During the Dance, do you have to change position of all the Dancer's faces?

I'm not sure, I thought about both yes and no to this question. I guess it boils down to theme and/or how powerful the army is otherwise. I think it is more fun to have to change, but it is a bit limiting.

Another variant for the seducer I thought about to make it less powerful and more different: As action, instead of a shot you can turn a unit you could normally shoot in any direction.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Having to change all three faces would be totally limiting and would render the Dance quite useless when the board is full.

Lets see how it plays out, though. I'm working in eHECK2 at the moment, in about an hour I'll post the alpha version of the army here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
http://michallus.nshex.com/Tancerz.pdf

I have only replaced two Actions with Battles, because you would be able to kick your enemy's units, but it would be hard for you to work with these 20 HP of enemy HQs.

Remember: it's an alpha. I haven't tested it yet.

PS: Midaga, it's not my fault I'm doing another "abonrmal" thing now. It's Rustan who told me to do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MichallusTG wrote:
Having to change all three faces would be totally limiting and would render the Dance quite useless when the board is full.

Agreed, I'll play with free choice of how the faces are changed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MichallusTG wrote:
http://michallus.nshex.com/Tancerz.pdf

I have only replaced two Actions with Battles, because you would be able to kick your enemy's units, but it would be hard for you to work with these 20 HP of enemy HQs.

Fantastic! I'll print out and test as soon as I can. Only two minor comments: The Action tiles are a bit easy to confuse with Battle, and the 1 on the Hammer obscures one of the CC attacks. I do not know how this could be made better though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I have noticed the similarity, and I'll fix it one way or the other.

About the attack: hmm. I'll try to change it somehow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Photo of printed and cut army at http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/527306/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Welcome to the finals of the 43rd Stare Out Tournament. Press Esc to start.
mb
MichallusTG wrote:
PS: Midaga, it's not my fault I'm doing another "abonrmal" thing now. It's Rustan who told me to do it.

You guys rock! Two bloody brilliant armies in two days just out of the blue- I'm totally flabbergasted.
Respect for both of you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, thanks for agreeing to playtest it along with us. I hope you post your feelings after the first ten games tomorrow before noon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What are the consequences if two faces are next to each other?

It could easily happen that one was pushed or pulled into the other by your opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that it can't happen. In my opinion, it's just not a legal move to push or pull two faces adjacent to each other.
So, if it was your only choice of pushing/grabbing, you wouldn't be able to make such a move.

Unless Rustan says something else. In this case disregard that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
Welcome to the finals of the 43rd Stare Out Tournament. Press Esc to start.
mb
MichallusTG wrote:
Oh, thanks for agreeing to playtest it along with us. I hope you post your feelings after the first ten games tomorrow before noon.

Hell, yeah. It might hinder the playtesting, that there's this joint called jokingly 'my workplace' where for some absurd reason they want me to work(!) for my paycheck, and you know that stupid Awakening campaign playtest, where no one wants to carry on the rewards but just use it directly in the next scenario despite the fabulous scoreboards and the angry shouting, and it doesn't help either that I'm typing with a pencil in my mouth after the first few plays with the Masochists (I won every time though), but sure, why not?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I knew you'd understand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nazhuret wrote:
What are the consequences if two faces are next to each other?

It could easily happen that one was pushed or pulled into the other by your opponent.

Good catch. My thought (although not written down here) was that you are not allowed to voluntarily move two faces next to each other. No further consequence if you are forced to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Whoa, I write too slowly! What about this suggestion though?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmm. I think your idea may be slightly better: your opponent is allowed to move both of them in another way, but you cannot place them like that yourself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rustan Håkansson
Sweden
Norrköping
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Edit the OP as per discussions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of the Dead
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks cool. I'm eager to try it out.

Though I do wish you'd used a different color...

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/419286

I guess there's not that many to choose from though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michal Herda
Poland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, it's a metal texture that looks like solid color from that distance.

Well, I forgot. Sorry.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.