Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Chila
Australia
Mulgrave
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
played once so may be a bit early to conclude however, our first game just consisted in playing the cards we were dealt and there did not seem to be any strategy ... you have no option other than to play cards you have in hand therefore is this all about luck?

is there strategy in this game?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bandettini
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
That one not so much
badge
Ohh that tickles
mbmbmb
You are trying to be in a position to control where the points go later in the game when there are more points available. Possibily the most important decision in the game is if you play cards from your hand at the end of a round to score extra points. If you feel that particular artist has maxed out play them, if it is likely they will get more points, hold onto them.

I agree it's not obvious but play a few more times and you should start to see opportunities to increase your scores.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
If artists score in more than one round, then the artworks that score in later rounds will be worth more than those in earlier rounds. You want to be the one playing those artworks in the later rounds, whether you're playing them during the round itself or afterward through the special bonus power of playing one card per artist you represented during the round. Thus, you're trying to read other people to see which artists they're trying to pump up so that you can work with those players, if possible, to bring those artists into the limelight.

Like many of Knizia's games, the game initially looks as if it has no strategy at all and players are doing things randomly (maybe some of them are!), but with additional plays you start to see how to manipulate the board to work toward a big payoff in the end. Best of luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chila
Australia
Mulgrave
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for that, much appreciated.

Just two more questions ...

(1). when replenishing the hand are the 6 cards in round 2 additional cards eg. if after round 1 I have 5 cards left in my hand do I receive only 1 card to bring it to 6 or do I get 6 additional cards for round 2?

(2). when palying an additional card .. can the additonal card per artist type in front of me have to be played of the same the artist type in front of me eg. if I have 3 artist types open in front can I play any three additional master piece cards of my choice or must they be one for each artist type open in front of me?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
Fitzroy012000 wrote:
(1). when replenishing the hand are the 6 cards in round 2 additional cards eg. if after round 1 I have 5 cards left in my hand do I receive only 1 card to bring it to 6 or do I get 6 additional cards for round 2?

The chart shows how many cards are dealt to each player in each round. Each player is dealt 6 (or 4 or 2) cards in round two, no matter how many cards they have in hand.

Fitzroy012000 wrote:
(2). when palying an additional card .. can the additonal card per artist type in front of me have to be played of the same the artist type in front of me eg. if I have 3 artist types open in front can I play any three additional master piece cards of my choice or must they be one for each artist type open in front of me?

For each different artist you have on display, you may play one additional card of any artist, whether you've played that artist or not. The extra cards played can be all of the same artist or different ones.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Chila
Australia
Mulgrave
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks again, cheers.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey Nolin
Japan
Nakamachi, Hiroshima
Hiroshima-ken
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
W Eric Martin wrote:

For each different artist you have on display, you may play one additional card of any artist, whether you've played that artist or not. The extra cards played can be all of the same artist or different ones.

Not quite right. For each artist you have in the winning three, you may play one extra card of the same artist, so if you have cards in 1st and 3rd place, you may play one 1st place card and one 3rd place card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Rauenzahn
United States
Ridley Park
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Everybody to the Limit!
mbmbmbmbmb
longagoigo wrote:
W Eric Martin wrote:

Not quite right. For each artist you have in the winning three, you may play one extra card of the same artist, so if you have cards in 1st and 3rd place, you may play one 1st place card and one 3rd place card.

The rules state that, "For each different artist with Masterpiece Cards displayed in front of the player, he may play one additional card from his hand, add it to his Masterpiece Cards, and score it."

It doesn't say anything about the artists with Value Tokens on them or being the Leading Artists. So W. Eric Martin is correct.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.