flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Previous session are here :
Session 1 : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/411731
Session 2 : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/413227
Session 3 : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/421223
Session 4 : http://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/425368

The struggle between the communist heroes and the spider queen continues !

Our protagonists :

Ozyree as Landrec 'Marx' the Wise (56/83)
12 / 5 / 1 / 3 (1 Wound, 3 Stamina)
Magic : 3 black
Talent :
* Blessing
* Prodigy
* Spiritwalker
Equipement :
* Fire Cone
* Leather Armor
* 1 Power Potion
* 1 Stamina Potion
Unequiped : Sun

Toramal as Ispherovitch (56/83) 2 Wounds
12 / 5 / 0 / 8
Melee : 1 black
Ranged : 2 black
Talent :
* Boggs the Rat
* Tiger Tatoo
* Swift
Equipement :
* Falcon Claw
* Crystal Shield
* Elven Robe
* Amulet of Archery
* 1 Stamina Potion
Unequiped :
* Iron Shield
* Magic Bow

Matt as Nadia, Witch Runes (46/83)
12 / 5 / 3 / 5 4 Wounds
Magic : 1 silver, 2 black
Talent :
* Able Warrior
* Inner Fire
Equipement :
* Mortuary Staff
* Heavy Leather Armor
* Ring of Protection
* 1 Power Potion
Unequiped : Crystalization

Kaekael as Lord Hawthorne the Red (26/83)
16 / 4 / 3 / 4 2 Wounds
Melee : 3 black
Talent :
* Knight
* Mighty
Equipement :
* Dragonteeth Hammer
* Chainmail
* 1 Power Potion
* 1 Stamina Potion
Unequiped : Axe

Group Enhancement :
* Magic Boat
* Staff of the Wild
* Bazaar

And you humble servant, trying to protect Terrinoth from the red plague by ... err ... destroying it.

Ascension Plot (2 cards)

Upgrade :
* Concentration
* Siege Engine
* In my Cabinet
* 1 Trap Threat
* Silver Eldrich

Lieutnent :
* Sir Alric Farrow (On Tamalir No counter)
* Merick Farrow (On the Whispering Forest)

Week 15: Aiming ? What does that tastes ? (continued)

Northgate Dungeon (continued)

Level 3 : The Pit Monster (23)

With only copper monster, I though that my contribution in this dungeon will be minimalist.
I was wrong.
Since non of the configuration gave my eldricht monsters, I choose to do with quantity instead of quality. So the level was full of razorwings and spiders.
With the boss to far away and monsters positionned to avoid the burns of Landrec, Heroes choosed to go slowly but surely. The level wasn't dangerous so why takes risks ?
But the god of spawn was with me : Two dark priests rejoined the boss and dealt lot of damage ant lot of threats, even if Hawthorne dealt with them the next turn.
Ispher and Landrec tried their combo to kill three razorwings that I moved without thinking, but the wizard got an X. Sourrounded by four razorwings, Ispher was eaten, digested and sent back to Tamalir in few seconds while others had to deal with new skeletons.
Moving pits and trap of my own really slowed them and Dark charm was used perfectly on Landrec to get a double kill (Hawthorne and Matt : 8xp for 8 threats ... good deal !)

When they leaved the dungeon campagn was at ... 198xp ! (91 vs 107).
They choose not to return at Tamalir but to buy potions at Riverwatch next week.

Week 16: Tribute to Severus Snape

+2xp for me ... next week will be the first silver week !
Heroes were surprised when Arlic leave Tamalir without assieging it and instead went toward Riverwatch. (By wanting to buy potions, heroes really helped me : they cannot fight Alric before Silver level.)
I was playful and Merick moved himself to be at striking range of heroes while he's at his weakest. (Like chess, I tried a gambit, if heroes were fool enough to go for it, Merick would have retreated and attacked them the very next week : him at his finest and heroes only with copper equipment...)
But Heroes stayed focused on their objective and bought the five potions of Greyhaven (Mostly power potions to maximize their damage output.

Week 17: Meaningful descision

Silver age !
Immediatly Eldrichts were promoted to gold. Merrick arrived at Frostgate and Alrick at Riverwatch.
Alric, at early silver isn't an easy opponent for heroes and like always in this case, hourly discussions ensue.

I left the heroes with basicaly three options :
1) Do the rumor, then equip and train at Tamalir, then fight Alrick
2) Equip at Tamalir, do the rumor then fight Alric
3) Equip at Tamalir, do the rumor, equip and train at Tamalir then fight Alric after he rolls a die to try razing Riverwatch and hope the city survived.

Second option was discarded few seconds after the beginnings of negociations (They wanted to train !)
In the end they were stuck 2 against 2 ... and so choosed to roll a die to choose at their place ... O ... K ... Sure ... why not ...
So they the die choosed to do the rumor first.
(Well, they could have asked me ... I wanted them to do that too ...)

During the first part of the travel, they suffered some little damage for a non combat encounter but that doesn't make them change their mind.

Black Wing Swamp Dungeon

Level 1 : Bag of Bones (17)

I took lesson from the last time, so, in my cabinet were a Dark Charm and a Falling Rock.
For the new silver age, I got a dungeon full of skeletons with a marvelous boss that resurrect each turn.
Dungeon wasn't started since ten seconds that Toramal and Kaekael though about running away.
Other refused adamantly, it was a rumor dungeon ! And the price (+1 life for every player) was really wanted by them.
So the die will have to choose again ? NO ! They came up with a plan.
Everyone except Ispher throw all he got towards the boss. If they manage to kill it, Ispher seals him definitely, otherwise they run away next turn.
I used (So badly) my falling rock to protect my poor boss, but their plan worked.
Well, not a great problem : they were still surrounded by silver skeletons ... and some Spiders too, for the fun.
I don't usually use Spider spawn ... (they are big and weak) but for once the master was really useful. Her mission was to web Landrec and preventing him to leave the starting corridor and so stuck the party here as long as I can.
When the master spider problem was solved and Landrec was near the exit, my dark charm made it suicide himself and do the walk again ...
I didn't have a significant extra amount of threat, but I managed to draw six extra cards.

Level 2 : Flying Stones (28)

Hmm... Skeletons again as reinforcement for the Giant Boss.
The extra speed they get are really a major boost since now they can stay out of range of Hawthorne and Landrec's spiritwalk, then attack, then retreat.
Heroes were really helpful : Matt and Landrec placed them diagonnaly from a rock that I could throw ... so I did, Astara was hurt and Landrec ... crunch ...
Surprising my opponents, even if I could have done a second spawn on this level and hurt them more, I didn't. Instead I played ... Brilliant Tactician (I'm not sure about the english name : it's the card that allow you to upgrade one normal monster to its master self each revealed zone.). They though I made a mistake, this there was only one zone left but ...

Level 3 : Derafin the Mighty

Yup, rumors has zones, meaning three upgrades instead of one ... which didn't impress the heroes at all ... The first zone contained two razorwings ... upgraded or not, they were one-shooted by Landrec-in-Ispher's burn.
But then ... next zone ... they fell head to head with a master gold demon ...

Quote:
Toramal: Whoa, this boss look scary ... Lot of life and armor ... Sorcery 4 ! Aura 4 ! Fear 4 ! Ouch ... How much life does it have in addition ?
Hankroyd: None ...
T: Fiuuu, any extra capacity ?
H: No ...
T: Wait, what ? The boss is only a normal master demon ?
H: No, of course not, it would be silly.
T: So ? Extra armor, move, dice ?
H: Ooops, slight misunderstanding ... when I said the boss wasn't an ordinary demon, I wanted to mean it wasn't a demon at all.
T: Good joke, David ... I fell in it ... Ah, Ah ... so by what should have to replace the figurine ?
H: You're still misunderstanding ... There is no boss in this room. It's only a master demon worthing 50 gold ... Normally it would have been ordinary, but I choosed to upgrade it with my 'lame card'. Enjoy the fight, b***h !
T: But ... but ... OOOOoooooowwwwwwwwwwwwww ... crap ...

I managed a non negligeable number of kills during the first two level. But it was nothing with this.
They choosed to focus on the demon, drinking as much power potion they could.
First tries by Toramal (with 2 silver and 3 black) doesn't not gave enough surge.
After the first turn (two wasted potions and only Landrec (with his 4 assured surges) able to damage it) I took pity and explained the more dice they rolled the more medium the number of surge would be... then I killed them.
But they didn't gave up. Landrec was the one I wanted to send back to Tamalir, the one who really was able to kill my little loving demon, but it's spiritwalking put him out of bound.
But others ... they should began to be tired, because there is no excuse to play that badly.
They keep coming back from Tamalir to kill my demon ... asking Ozyree/Landrec to kill the lesser monsters !!!!! (Ozyree saw it was stupid, but, he's a communist hero ... and, since the three others agreed, he did what it was told ...)
So two turns were played like this :
* Heroes came back, failed 7 attacks in a row against the demon.
* Landrec killed some monsters without the burn capacity (to avoid injuring his allies) (Again, at least, why not force Landrec to play first to do a mass kill in minor monsters ?)
* Remaining monsters killed most of the three useless hero, enraging them a little more.

Oh ! My ! God Self ! I've done it ! After five session, I manage to make the players berserk ! I resisted the strange urge to sang "Happy Birthday to me", leaned back and enjoyed the show.

Then I made a mistake ... I killed Landrec, and he was allowed to attack the demon too.
After playing first and showing how much he could hurt it (especially with an armor piercing rune give by Astara), other killed the few remaining monsters and get to position for the next zone.
Next turn, the demon was gone, but deeply in myself I was almost ashamed about the experience I got.

But it wasn't over !

The last but not least zone was revealed. The upgraded skeleton (for immortality) was killed by Astarra. But they forgot to move Boggs, allowing to attack them from behind ... Landrec was send back to Tamalir and I cycled my deck (When I want to keep my heroes in a level, Killing Landrec is the best option. He isn't very fast and now he uses Spiritwalk he move less than ever...)
The boss died under Astara's Staff (to avoid the immortality rolls).

It was a massacre but at least it was over : Only two razorming in play, no threat, only few cards in hand, I couldn't do very much.

Ispher declared a move and an attack to kill the razorwing, and :

Quote:
T: I move on the bone heap and search it.
Other players: Moron ! You should have killed the razorwing before !
T: Cool, guys, I'll kill him after, don't worry.
** Dice roll : Blank
** A Master skeleton appears and is activated
** Ispher is hitted and killed
OP:Good job !
T: Just shut up, it's not a bad play, it's bad luck. Your turn, overlord.
H: OK, my turn now, I draw three, discard my hand except one card, spend 15+4 to put some sorcerer into play near ... Landrec !
OP: AND HE FORGOT TO MOVE BOGGS !!! YOU'RE JUST A {passage censored to prevent the innocence of ... err ... innocent people.}
T: Oh, shut up, it's not my fault, it's yours ! You told me, he couldn't afford another spawn !

Never give up ! Never surrender !
Halas, some bad placed X prevented me to kill again Landrec and after this heroes succesfully completed their rumor by taking Derafin's body and returning to Tamalir ... They got a +1 extra life ! Youhou for them ...

Another heroes' victory like that and the world will be mine ... MWHAHAHAHAHA.

At the end of session :

Overlord : 47/143 xp
Heroes : 115 xp & 8450 gold
Campaign : 258 xp

Landrec the Wise (56/115)
13 / 5 / 3 (Me:0) / 3 (8 Wounds)
Magic : 3 black
Talent :
* Blessing
* Prodigy
* Spiritwalker
Equipement :
* Fire Cone
* Elvish Robe
Unequiped :
* Crystalize
* Secator
* Sun

Ispher (56/115)
13 / 5 / 3 (Me:1) / 8
Melee : 1 black
Ranged : 2 black
Talent :
* Boggs the Rat
* Tiger Tatoo
* Swift
* 1 Stamina Potion
Equipement :
* Reaper's Scythe
* Kellos' Robe
* Amulet of Archery
* Scorpion Helm
* 1 Stamina Potion
Unequiped :
* Crystal Shield
* Dwarven Bomb
* Falcon Claw

Astarra, Witch Runes (46/115)
13 / 5 / 3 / 5 (8 Wounds)
Magic : 1 silver, 2 black
Talent :
* Able Warrior
* Inner Fire
Equipement :
* Mortuary Staff
* Heavy Leather Armor
* Ring of Protection

Lord Hawthorne (26/115)
17 / 4 / 4 / 3 (5 Wounds)
Melee : 3 black
Talent :
* Knight
* Mighty
Equipement :
* Dragonteeth Hammer
* Golden Armor
* 2 Power Potions
Unequiped : Axe

Group Enhancement :
* Magic Boat
* Staff of the Wild
* Bazaar

Overlord
Ascension Plot (2 cards)

Upgrades :
* Concentration
* Siege Engine
* In my Cabinet
* 1 Trap Threat
* Gold Eldrich

Lieutnents :
* Sir Alric Farrow (On Riverwatch No counter)
* Merick Farrow (On Frostgate No counter)

Miscealenous comments :

Last time, I played badly ... this time, it's was the turn of the heroes to make very dumb choices.
Last time, between them and me there was only a difference of +7xp. Now I got +28xp. I quadrupled my advance !
* Doing directly to a dungeon without silver equipment.
* Refusing to flee when they saw I got the upper hand.
* Attacking the demon with everyone BUT THE ONLY ONE WHO CAN HURT IT !
* an average of 20% of X for Kaekael. (To its defence, it's not his fault.) More often than not at really critical moment.
* Toramal giving me a free killing (almost two) at the very end of the session.

47 experience points to spend ... In only one dungeon we did more than the quarter of the silver level which is ... not so good. I want to force them to go in my dungeon before Gold level, if it passe too soon.
Fortunately, I will be able to play with them a little and force them to spend time outside dungeon playing at 'Find Alric in Terrinoth' (Sort of looks like 'Find Charly at Hollywood' except that here, when you found him, he tries to kill you...), While Merick takes care of Frostgate.

Since this forum isn't very active, I'll try to make the fews who read this terribly long text so far give your contribution.

I'll show you ... my evil plan.
The thing I'm not sure is how to spend my experience. Would you do the same as me ? And, if not, what would you do ?

Quote:
What ? Oh, of course you have the right to disagree with our Majesty. No, We won't kill you for that ! That would be such a waste since We only eat alive people...
At the very most, We will only give you a little bite. Don't worry it doesn't kill, only paralyze ... so you will be able to stay for dinner ...

Quote:

EVIL TOP SECRET PLAN TO BECOME A GOD

* Short term : Upgrade Beasts to silver, take an event threat for Crushing blow, then the third Farrow lieutnent and to finish, a cup of tea.

* Middle term : After this a second trap treachery for the 'Cursed Weapons' cards (looks sooo cool) and 'Cursed Relic' in the Overlord Dungeon (Crushing blow + Cursed Relic with only silver and copper items. Mmmmmmm)

* Near the end of silver phase : Having the fourth town razed when Heroes are far away from my lair. Put into play as much as comets and avatar amelioration I can. Kill the Heroes. Become a God. Rule the universe. Get a cheeseburger.

* If it doesn't work : Triple (or Quadruple) simultaneous assault of Lieutnents on Tamalir in early Gold.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Sacco
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
Sauron was not of mortal flesh, he could never again appear fair to the eyes of Men, yet his spirit arose & returned to Mordor. There he dwelt, dark & silent, until he wrought a new guise, an image of malice & hatred made visible; the Eye of Sauron.
badge
One moment only it stared out as from some great window immeasurably high there stabbed a flame of red, the flicker of a piercing Eye. The Eye was not turned on them, it gazed north but Frodo at that dreadful glimpse fell as one stricken mortally.
mbmbmbmbmb
Hankroyd,

I've read all the "Spider Who Wanted to be God" Session reports - and loved them all. I'm rooting for The Spider Queen. Keep up the great work!

I really do want to know how it turns out. thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Aubert
France
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK ...

No Spider bite for you.

Next session coming maybe the next week-end.

If not, it will be in mid-september. (Stupid job that gives me less time to play ... yuk )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.