Subject: Sorry - Another Recommendation question. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been reading about a few games that I am interested in and I am trying to get a sense of how they compare in two areas: teaching the game & average game length.

I am interested in:
La Città (does it come in English or is it only available in German?)
Cuba
Keythedral (I know that it is hard to get)
A Castle for All Seasons.

I am most interested in La Citta and least interested in Castle for All Seasons (seems a little blah, done that before).

I am looking for a game that plays well for 2 or 3 players. I would prefer the game to take 90 minutes with 3 players (less with 2).

My wife enjoys playing Stone Age, Wasabi, Pandemic, and Thurn & Taxis.

My current favorites are Chicago Express, El Grande, Snow Tails and Metropolys (my wife also enjoys this).

Your thoughts are very appreciated!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Maxwell
United States
Burtchville
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about La Citta and A Castle for All Seasons as well...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dice bags!
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
La Citta is in the mail. It should be here tomorrow.

Cuba is one of my favorites, and plays well with two. Teaching is probably on par with Puerto Rico, or Princes of Florence. It has role cards, so you have to know what those do (like Puerto Rico), and there's also an alternate choice for the roles (take money instead of ship, or take a free item instead of buy or sell at the marketplace). Cuba is good for teaching since there's little hidden information - the buildings are laid out, right from the start; everyone has the same role cards; everyone can see each others' boards, everyone can see the ships and the Acts in Parliament. Like PoF, it has stages... everyone takes turn playing role cards, and doing the corresponding action; everyone is involved in bidding to see who gets to choose the Acts in Parliament; then VPs are awarded, and a new round is begun. One stage influences the other - the card you don't play has an impact on your votes in Parliament, as does your money supply. The Acts passed in Parliament affect the VP conditions. It's also one of those games where once you do a round, it makes sense. I think it fits well with your time and player needs.

I haven't played the other two, so I can't comment on them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan Monroe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Falcons wrote:
La Città (does it come in English

Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anni Foasberg
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
La Citta does indeed come in English. I've only played with four or five, but it is a solid two hours with that number of players. It's easy to believe that it scales well, however, since the board size changes for different numbers of players,and I've heard that people who play it that way like it. It may be a little heavy for what you are looking for--it's a bit fiddly and each round has several phases. Also, you must keep many factors in mind when making decisions about what to build, since everything you do will affect the size of your population and how easy it is to feed them and keep them happy. I love the game, but if you are looking for a quick, intuitive game, well, that is one thing La Citta isn't.

I actually have played Keythedral with three and it works quite well with three, four or five (again, I can't speak to two). It's a much simpler game and it fits quite comfortably within your time limit in my experience. A player who is particularly indecisive may have some trouble deciding what to do near the beginning of a round, but we haven't really had that problem. Just as a word of warning, the game has a really strong take that element. Several of the games you've listed are similar in that respect, so that may not be a problem with you, though I'd say it's stronger in Keythedral.

I've only played Cuba and A Castle for All Seasons once each, so others may be better qualified to offer an opinion, though I can say that Castle didn't feel very original to me either.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.