• [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh yes. In fact, I'd say 3 player Hab & Gut is my favorite, cause you have the greatest amount of information.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks...that's the number I'll play with the most.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
verandi wrote:
Oh yes. In fact, I'd say 3 player Hab & Gut is my favorite, cause you have the greatest amount of information.

I agree it plays best with 3. You get 2/3 of the information vs. 1/2 or 2/5 with 4/5 players respectively. It is still fun with more, but increases the uncertainty a bit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
W. Eric Martin
United States
Apex
North Carolina
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
As I noted in my review of Hab & Gut on Boardgame News, the three-player game can be harsh. In one such game, two players conspired to raise a stock and we effectively locked out the third player because we increased the price so quickly. We also then put those stocks on our client board, dooming him to last place on the generosity scale and sealing his fate.

Players who participated in both a three-player and a five-player game found the latter more enjoyable precisely because you knew less and had to deduce more. Also, we ran out of some stocks with five players, thus forcing people to take alternate paths rather than simply following the actions of another player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Henry Rhombus wrote:
As I noted in my review of Hab & Gut on Boardgame News, the three-player game can be harsh. In one such game, two players conspired to raise a stock and we effectively locked out the third player because we increased the price so quickly.

I agree. While 3p is playable, the 4-player game is much better, imho.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Hill
United States
Blacklick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
I agree. While 3p is playable, the 4-player game is much better, imho.

I will second what Tim said here.

I have played multiple times with 3, 4 and 5 players and 4 is best. 3 players is a bit too much information, while 5 not quite enough. 4 is just right.

Ken
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Henry Rhombus wrote:
the three-player game can be harsh. In one such game, two players conspired to raise a stock and we effectively locked out the third player because we increased the price so quickly.

Why can't this also happen in games with more players? I've played lots of 3- and 4-player games and I'm unconvinced there's a "problem" with the 3-player game. In Hab & Gut you can sometimes get screwed through no fault of your own and this is OK (for a 45 minute game). It seems clear to me however that this is more likely with more players at the table, since you have less information with which to deduce the cards you don't know.

Tastes will obviously influence a player's preference I suppose.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Hill
United States
Blacklick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
Why can't this also happen in games with more players? I've played lots of 3- and 4-player games and I'm unconvinced there's a "problem" with the 3-player game. In Hab & Gut you can sometimes get screwed through no fault of your own and this is OK (for a 45 minute game). It seems clear to me however that this is more likely with more players at the table, since you have less information with which to deduce the cards you don't know.

Tastes will obviously influence a player's preference I suppose.

At the risk of being Captain Obvious, most three players games can have the "odd man" problem. Sometimes it happens, sometimes it doesn't. I'm certainly don't agree that it is limited to just Hab & Gut.

For example, Web of Power is a fine 3-player - one that I will often recommend with 3. But it can result in one player being out of the running early if the cards don't cooperate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
So we got two three player games in tonight and we all loved the game. The three player game is indeed tight and in both games there was no collusion to put the screws to one player.

One thing that happened that we were a bit confused about was...

The last player in each round only had cards to draw for market manipulation from their left...meaning they couldn't draw a card from both the left and right...there were always two cards remaining on their left. This would seem to give them an advantage. Is this usual or are we missing something.

Thanks for all your answers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jbrier
United States
Aventura
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
metalchorus wrote:

The last player in each round only had cards to draw for market manipulation from their left...meaning they couldn't draw a card from both the left and right...there were always two cards remaining on their left. This would seem to give them an advantage. Is this usual or are we missing something.

Each round during the market manipulation phase you play one card from your own hand and one card from your left opponent's hand (the hand you are allowed to see). If you were doing this then at the end of four rounds the last player should have one card left in his hand and there should be one card left in his left opponent's hand. Are you sure you are playing the rules right?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hank Panethiere
United States
Kirkwood
MO
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
verandi wrote:
metalchorus wrote:

Each round during the market manipulation phase you play one card from your own hand and one card from your left opponent's hand (the hand you are allowed to see). If you were doing this then at the end of four rounds the last player should have one card left in his hand and there should be one card left in his left opponent's hand. Are you sure you are playing the rules right?

We indeed played it wrong...actually I think one or two of us may accidentally have played two from the same hand. We just played another round to check and indeed it worked out as you described. Chalk it up to first game mistakes. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.