Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tonight we finally got BSG back on the table with our game guild. I was excited to play it again, and that it would be my first time with 6 players. 4 of the players were new to the game, and 2 of them hadn’t seen the show. But a good time was had by all, and we finished in under 3 ½ hours. Here’s a quick synopsis of how it happened, starting with the cast of characters, in playing order:

Maddy played Apollo
Faye played Baltar
Liz played Helo (Admiral)
Austin played Tyrol
I played Roslin (President)
Scott played Starbuck

Things began a little rough as we moved through the first jump sequence. Cylon ships were hitting the board frequently, and our rolls against them kept failing. Eventually we lost a civilian ship (-2 Population), but were finally able to jump soon after, which was a huge relief. At this point accusations of treachery were at a minimum, as we appeared to be passing our skill checks easily, often by a large margin. Our pilots were hitting their stride, knocking raiders out of the sky left and right, and any damage was quickly repaired by Austin/Tyrol. I made a noble attempt at an inspirational speech, but it failed. The conventional wisdom was that we must all be human.

That held true for next two jumps, both of which happened quickly and without any major incident. Our dials remained strong, and in fact we were able to scout out some food which moved that marker up to 9. In no time we reached a distance of 4, and moved to the second round of loyalty cards.

With our dials all in the blue, Austin/Tyrol was forced to reveal himself as the Sympathizer for the Cylons, and he headed off to the Resurrection Ship. It was a bit troubling for the group, as we knew repairing damage was going to be a consistent problem. But the crew plowed ahead, hoping to do its best.

As for me? I found out I was a sleeper agent, which was going to be fun - I’ve not been a Cylon before! But how best to exact some sabotage? For awhile it wasn’t easy - the skill checks that came soon after were too small for me to throw in anything that wouldn’t be noticeable. Then I hatched my plan when my turn came around and I drew 2 crisis cards - I opted for Food Shortage, which robbed me of all my skill cards (2 from the President + 3 from the current player). For the next full round, I was unable to contribute anything, which was understandable - I had no cards. In fact I made it my mission not to have skill cards. Any time a crisis came up where I could lose the ones I had, I did that.

Meanwhile I had to figure out - who was the other Cylon? My guess for the fourth jump period was that it had to be Liz/Helo - she always seemed to agree with what I said but not what others put forth. And her choice for the fourth jump (a mere 1 distance) seemed questionable.

But as I prepared to work on this ally, Scott/Starbuck revealed out of the blue that he was a Cylon, and headed for the Resurrection Ship, following it up with a big ugly Super Crisis that the humans failed. Who knew? I hadn’t suspected him in the least.

What to do now - reveal right away, or bide my time? I was worried - the humans had now hit a distance of 7, and only one dial had hit the red so far (Fuel). The remaining players were in good shape, and their only suspicions were vague - I was still flying under the radar by my lack of contribution due to having no cards. Only Maddy/Apollo had any real suspicions of me, and she wasn’t sure enough to make a bold accusation.

Finally I saw the perfect chance - the fleet was one step away from an auto-jump (distance was still 7), when a Basestar hit Galactica and damaged the FTL Control. My turn came up and the crew agreed I should hit the FTL and risk the -1 Population. Instead I used my special action as Roslin to draw 4 Quorum cards and got exactly the one I hoped for - an Arrest Order. I played the order on Faye/Baltar, imprisoning the only human left that had Engineering as a skill. I revealed (a few cries of "Oh crap!" were heard), and drew my Super Crisis.

The humans were now in a real pickle. It took much longer than necessary for them to make that jump to hit 8 distance, as they couldn’t activate the FTL. With 3 Cylons taking turns in a row, it was hard for the humans to do much of anything, and they never did manage to spring Faye/Baltar from the brig. With Morale plummeting, I started the ball rolling to end it all with my Super Crisis, which put 2 Centurions on the ship. By the time my turn rolled around again, I was able to put the Centurions 1 from the end using the Cylon Fleet. Scott/Starbuck did the same right after me, ending the game.

It was certainly a tough time for the humans (and a tad demoralizing), but I have to say - they got closer than I’ve ever seen the humans get when I played in person. We all agreed that had Austin/Tyrol not ended up a Cylon from his Sympathizer card, the humans would have won, and by a comfortable margin.

I was pleased to hear that everyone enjoyed the game a lot, despite the length and the outcome. I’m hoping we’ll get to play it again real soon!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Evgeny Reznikov
Israel
Haifa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Glad to hear you all had a good time.

A small correction: Roslin's ability to draw 4 Quorum cards is an action. Revealing is also an action.
Your review sounds like both happened on your turn (the same one). Since you couldn't have been Executive Ordered on this turn, this is wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Lott
United States
Cheverly
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sorry, I wrote that bit incorrectly - good catch. It was in fact not my turn at the time - it was Liz/Helo's turn, and she played an Executive Order on me to hit the FTL (she was piloting a viper at the time).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Colmenares
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DancerInDC wrote:
Then I hatched my plan when my turn came around and I drew 2 crisis cards - I opted for Food Shortage, which robbed me of all my skill cards (2 from the President + 3 from the current player). For the next full round, I was unable to contribute anything, which was understandable - I had no cards. In fact I made it my mission not to have skill cards. Any time a crisis came up where I could lose the ones I had, I did that.

This is in fact, what happened with our Roslin in our game yesterday...Damn but if I ever see Roslin do this again I'm brigging her no matter what!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Fung
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DancerInDC wrote:
Then I hatched my plan when my turn came around and I drew 2 crisis cards - I opted for Food Shortage, which robbed me of all my skill cards (2 from the President + 3 from the current player). For the next full round, I was unable to contribute anything, which was understandable - I had no cards. In fact I made it my mission not to have skill cards. Any time a crisis came up where I could lose the ones I had, I did that.

That's dastardly sneaky... I like it!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.