Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Seth Zimmerman
United States
Atlanta
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wanted to know which expansion has the most items, skills, and monsters to add to the core game. I would also like for the overlord to get buffed a bit. Which expansion would be best?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Folke
Denmark
Lyngby (Copenhagen)
flag msg tools
badge
Pierce 2
mbmbmbmbmb
Most monsters
--------------
Well of Darkness: Kobolds (12+6), Ferrox (4+2), Golems (2+1)
Altar of despair: Blood Apes (4+2), Dark Priests (4+2), Deep elves (2+1), Chaos Beasts (2+1)
Tomb of ice: Lava beetles (4+2), Shades (4+2), Medusae (2+1), Wendigos (2+1), Ice Wyrms (2+1)

So, going by number of monsters, WoD or ToI has the most. Going by different kinds of monsters, ToI has the most.
Also, the monsters in ToI are a bit more interesting than the ones in the two other expansions.

If number of quests is of relevance, WoD>AoD>ToI
Quality of quests (subjective of course): ToI>AoD>WoD

Number of items and skills per expansion is about the same for WoD and AoD as far as I remember. ToI doesn't add any skills, but adds feats instead which boost the hero side significantly.

Overlord buffing: WoD>AoD>>ToI
Well of darkness probably adds the most powerful treachery cards of the three, with AoD a very close second. Tomb of Ice adds very few treachery cards, and they aren't as powerful as, say, elite beastman war party.

As for which expansion that would be best, I'd say Altar of Despair or Tomb of Ice. Some of the quests in WoD are simply too hard to be any fun, and only 3 new monster types isn't that much.
But I have a feeling that going with only Tomb of Ice and none of the really powerful treachery cards from the other 2 expansions might make the game far too hard for the OL.
So if you really want to only get one of the expansions, get AoD.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think Tomb of Ice is the best expansion due to the quality of the quests, interesting monsters and fun mechanics. This is my favorite expansion. I did a detailed review of it, check it out.

Altar of Despair is quite good as well, and does buff up the power of the Overlord more than Tomb of Ice. The quests in here are pretty fun, and can be quite a challenge (The Thing in the Pit is just brutal for the heroes to win!).

Well of Darkness buffs the Overlord up quite a bit, and the quests are long and difficult. I'm glad we play with this expansion, but it was quite an adjustment for the heroes to start winning the quests included.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Miroslaw Terlecki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another important factor to consider is that WoD brings balance to amount of each kind of weapon (in base game is twice as much magic weapons as melee or ranged), have good skills and heroes, proper versions of various cards (bow, beastmen, skeletons etc).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Thomas
United States
Findlay
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd buy Altar first. It has the coolest monsters, imo.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
nishadham
United Kingdom
Bristol
Avon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A simple (oversimplified, debatable) way of seeing it is -

Well of Darkness - Balanced
Altar of Despair - Powers up Overlord
Tomb of Ice - Powers up Heroes

They are all good, but Tomb of Ice seems to be the funnest. (apart from Road to Legend...!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Benhart
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Turek wrote:
Another important factor to consider is that WoD brings balance to amount of each kind of weapon (in base game is twice as much magic weapons as melee or ranged), have good skills and heroes, proper versions of various cards (bow, beastmen, skeletons etc).

These cards changes are included in current printings of the game. A friend of mine just picked up the base game a couple of months ago and had the "fixed" beastmen, skeletons, & bow cards all included in it.

WoD does balance out the weapons in both the shop and treasure decks though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.