3 Posts

Arkham Horror: Innsmouth Horror Expansion» Forums » Variants

Subject: Micro-Arkham (playing on an expansion board) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik W
United States
flag msg tools
I've been trying to think of a way to play really quick games of Arkham Horror, but only with maybe one or two of the expansion boards. Sometimes I want to play but I don't want to take absolutely everything out at one time.

So here's what I've been thinking up so far:
-Take the top 20 cards off each deck you'll be using (discard and replace any that aren't compatible with your expansion or set-up); then use these micro decks in place of the ones you'd use in a big game
-For location encounters, take the top six cards off each pile. You can only use each encounter card once for a given neighborhood! After that, you get no more encounters at that location.
-Add one doom token each turn despite any seals getting in the way, monster surges, etc. (still increase the DOR track if you're using Innsmouth)
-Two sets of Investigator rounds pass before each Mythos card is played. (Maybe add an option to get get the second round at a price?)
-Roll a die at the beginning of the game and place it on top of the GOO pile. The actual GOO is determined at random after X doom tokens are built up. Any effects take place from then on. If X is 5 or 6, pick a herald at random at the start of the game.

With this set-up fully sorted out, I wanted to make a story-based one-player campaign to post up here. It takes place one expansion board at a time and then at the end it's all-out maximum Arkham Horror.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have all of 3 hours experience playing this game and I've got ideas for simplifying it...

You could simplify Monster Movement by flipping a coin and they all go either black or white direction...

I like your idea of expansion board "mini-games" leading up to the main event.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik W
United States
flag msg tools
Yeah, your success rate on the different parts affords you bonuses for the endgame. Some equipment carries over between them.

With different Investigators in different mini story-arcs (more robust than Plot Cards but along the same tune), you could wind up with several Investigators at the very end or you might be all alone.

That seems to tell a more complete story than just a game of AH (which is still cool).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.