Subject: A question for you purveyors of all things piratical... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The purpose:
I am wanting to use the Pirates ships to play a set of Age of Sail war game rules. I like that the ships range from five-masters (1st rate ships of the line) to single-masters (6th rate ships) and with a little Sharpie work along the white edges, look sharp on the table.

The questions:
1. Knowing that there are plenty of expansions released for this game and that each expansion brought something different to the table, which expansion(s) focus more on traditional clipper ships? I'm not as interested in 'specialty' ships, such as longboats, junks, paddle boats, catamarans, etc. Even a fleet of schooners is fairly ridiculous when you really look at history. Help?

2. Does anyone want to trade some cards? I don't really have a need for characters and most of the crew cards (I'd like to keep some to use the coins for other games) and I have some dupes of some ships from Rise of the Fiends, Revolution and Mysterious Islands.

Thanks! arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
You want stuff from the first three sets for more traditional ships.

I quit playing after Davy Jones' Curse, as it stopped being fun for me (as I always won). If you need a few ships, I can probably for P&P, depending on how many you need.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just call me Erik
United States
Waldorf
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Spanish Main, Crimson COast, barbary Coast, and Revolution are the sets you want.

I, too, have spare ships if you want some.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ted Conn
United States
Lee's Summit
Missouri
flag msg tools
You are not brought upon this world to get it!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Great! I'll GM you both as soon as I get a handle on what I have v what I need v what I have to offer people.

Another question...What does each set bring to the table as its niche? As far as I can tell, here's what I know:
Pirates of the Spanish Main - regular stuff
Pirates of the Crimson Coast - ?
Pirates of the Revolution - more Americans
Pirates of the Barbary Coast - ?
Pirates of the South China Seas - Junks
Pirates of Davy Jones' Curse - ?
Pirates of the Mysterious Islands - subs
Pirates of the Frozen North - Vikings
Pirates at Ocean's Edge - ?
Pirates of the Cursed Seas: Rise of the Fiends - monsters
Pirates of the Cursed Seas: Fire and Steel - ?
Pirates of the Savage Shores - Celts

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb

Pirates of the Spanish Main - Basic English/Spanish/Pirates
Pirates of the Crimson Coast - French, ONE American ship, Forts, terrain.
Pirates of the Revolution - Americans, one set of Corsair preview ships.
Pirates of the Barbary Coast - Barbary Corsairs, one set of Jade promo ships
Pirates of the South China Seas - Jade Rebelion, one set of cursed preview ships
Pirates of Davy Jones' Curse - Cursed (undead) pirates, sea monsters, oneanother preview of the following one.
Pirates of the Mysterious Islands - subs, more terrain

Then I quit.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
VAST: The Mysterious Manor
badge
DV: Anakin Skywalker was weak. I destroyed him.                 AT: Then I will avenge his death.             DV: Revenge is not the Jedi way.         AT: I am no Jedi.
mbmbmbmbmb
Petru5 wrote:
Another question...What does each set bring to the table as its niche? As far as I can tell, here's what I know:
Pirates of the Spanish Main - regular stuff
Pirates of the Crimson Coast - ?
Pirates of the Revolution - more Americans
Pirates of the Barbary Coast - ?
Pirates of the South China Seas - Junks
Pirates of Davy Jones' Curse - ?
Pirates of the Mysterious Islands - subs
Pirates of the Frozen North - Vikings
Pirates at Ocean's Edge - ?
Pirates of the Cursed Seas: Rise of the Fiends - monsters
Pirates of the Cursed Seas: Fire and Steel - ?
Pirates of the Savage Shores - Celts
Davy Jones' Curse added the Cursed faction which covers a lot of the superstitious things associated with sailing - sea monsters, evil spirits, undead, Davy Jones, etc.

Ocean's Edge had a similar overall theme to DJC

In between OE and RotF was the Pirates of the Caribbean set, which included most of the characters and ships from the three movies. All of the ships were either English or Pirate. For some reason this one has its own game page, but it's really just another expansion set for the same game: Pirates of the Caribbean PocketModel Game

Rise of the Fiends was sort of a "reboot" set that saw the return of a number of past characters. There were a few sea monsters in it, but not significantly more than the previous few sets.

Fire & Steel had a slight emphasis on the English and French, and included a lot more "war" type things - in particular shot equipment, like grapeshot, chainshot, exploding shot, etc.

Savage Shores had a "Pacific Islander" theme, and emphasised the Spanish and Americans. It introduced native canoes, which come in groups of five at time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.