Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
We're doing Junior First Lego League this year, and next year we'll be getting the bigger kit with the actual robotics & software. I thought it might be a good idea to get the kids used to the thinking behind programming with a game or two. They don't have to program this year. The kids are all very bright, and between the ages of 6-9. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Our science center had a course on "program a staff member to make a peanut butter & jelly sandwich", but it was $100 per kid.

I thought Girl Genius: The Works might be good, as it has cascading effects. I appreciate any ideas anyone might have.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Swood
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RoboRally or Space Alert contain the abstract idea of programmed actions, with RoboRally being more thematically appropriate.

In RoboRally, there is no "programming fundamentals" per se, but rather the idea of laying out a sequence of actions and pressing "Enter" to see what happens.

Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out this list...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/10997
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hmmm...

Roborally is the classic programming game, but it's out of print and I have a better idea. (: An old programming game (way before Battlebots!) was to create robots with simple programming commands, then use a simulator to see which ones survived the arena. (The simplest robot did nothing and won a few fights!)

Example cards:
* IF
* Condition: See a robot
* AND
* Condition: Within 3 spaces ahead
* THEN
* Attack

The first games are simple, then become more challenging (eg. robots in later arenas now need fuel to move, must first pick up weapons, etc.).

If you have teams of programmers, Space Alert is a coop game which uses programming mechanics. Dominion is useful to understand chaining.

Of course, you can use a parlor game in which the kids in the room program you to do something simple and you screw it up. The kids shout out the commands and conditional statements, an assistant writes down the programming, and, after the programming is done, you pervert the programming. For example, if you're filling a cup with water, and the command is "walk to the cup", you then walk to the cup -- and knock it over.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Another geeklist:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/1910/item/298157#item2...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Simons
United Kingdom
Royal Wootton Bassett
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well at first I thought of Ad Acta because it can be used as a metaphor to help them get to grips with how a computer processor might deal with instructions. But that's probably not what you had in mind.

I would suggest Himalaya; you program your moves beforehand in that one too. I'm not sure of its availability, however.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
bOOLeO is a game that teaches logic gates. There's no theme, though, so it may not be terribly appealing to that age group.

Robo Battle Pigs is a free game that uses programmed action. I've also made a PnP programmed action game. It's not yet available on BGG, but everything you would need for it is available here:
Squirrel Squabble
In Squirrel Squabble, you can still make decisions after programming your actions, though, so it may not be what you're looking for. On the other hand, it's free and pretty easy to make, so you could send it home with the kids. (It's still being playtested, but I think it's pretty stable at this point.)

A while ago, I was actually working on a game that I could use to teach my own kids programming logic. It was a pretty simple mouse-gathers-cheese-while-keeping-away-from-cats game, but it had multiple levels of difficulty. This thread has made me more interested in pulling that one back out and polishing it up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guest Starring...
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roborally's a good call.

Dominion might also work. Beneath the slapped-on theme, it feels just like certain kinds of coding.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rebekah B
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, not a game, but a fun way for kids to get some programming basics is by using Scratch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
badge
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
Fearsome Floors

Really. Look into it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jae
United States
Bryan
TX
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
sq498 wrote:
Also, not a game, but a fun way for kids to get some programming basics is by using Scratch.

Alice is good as well.
http://www.alice.org/
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
sq498 wrote:
bOOLeO is a game that teaches logic gates. There's no theme, though, so it may not be terribly appealing to that age group.

Robo Battle Pigs is a free game that uses programmed action. I've also made a PnP programmed action game. It's not yet available on BGG, but everything you would need for it is available here:
Squirrel Squabble
In Squirrel Squabble, you can still make decisions after programming your actions, though, so it may not be what you're looking for. On the other hand, it's free and pretty easy to make, so you could send it home with the kids. (It's still being playtested, but I think it's pretty stable at this point.)

A while ago, I was actually working on a game that I could use to teach my own kids programming logic. It was a pretty simple mouse-gathers-cheese-while-keeping-away-from-cats game, but it had multiple levels of difficulty. This thread has made me more interested in pulling that one back out and polishing it up.

Thank you so much. Please let me know if you decide to release your other game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
Geosphere wrote:
Fearsome Floors

Really. Look into it.

Um, maybe for when they are older. Thank you for the suggestion, I'll keep it in mind for a few years from now!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
molnar wrote:

Lovely, thank you so much.

I also found this:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/34929/page/1

For my age group, I think Roborally might be a winner.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
Celinashope wrote:
Roborally may be too complicated to use as a game for the younger kids in your group, but one really good thing is that it doesn't have to be played competitively. You can give your students puzzles; here are 20 cards, here's your robot, can you figure out the order to use to get it to the target before it dies?

The only real drawback I think is that roborally cards don't include any of the "if, then"-type things that are so important to actual programming. But to show kids how computers follow exactly the steps you tell them to, whether these steps make sense or not, roborally may be just right.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
wmshub wrote:
Celinashope wrote:
Roborally may be too complicated to use as a game for the younger kids in your group, but one really good thing is that it doesn't have to be played competitively. You can give your students puzzles; here are 20 cards, here's your robot, can you figure out the order to use to get it to the target before it dies?

The only real drawback I think is that roborally cards don't include any of the "if, then"-type things that are so important to actual programming. But to show kids how computers follow exactly the steps you tell them to, whether these steps make sense or not, roborally may be just right.

Thanks, I hadn't thought of that. We are just starting, and next year they'll get the kit with the software, so I just want them to get comfortable with the thinking process (oh, and me too).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David C
United States
Aurora
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mb
Celinashope wrote:
We're doing Junior First Lego League this year, and next year we'll be getting the bigger kit with the actual robotics & software. I thought it might be a good idea to get the kids used to the thinking behind programming with a game or two. They don't have to program this year. The kids are all very bright, and between the ages of 6-9. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Our science center had a course on "program a staff member to make a peanut butter & jelly sandwich", but it was $100 per kid.

I thought Girl Genius: The Works might be good, as it has cascading effects. I appreciate any ideas anyone might have.

There's a utility called ALICE, and another one called SCRATCH. I really recommend both of them. The boardgames are nice, but... I've never seen programming so accessible in my life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.