Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
c m
United States
ann arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is anyone aware of the differences between the 78, 79, and 80 printings? Are there rarity differences?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Stewart
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
It's sooo Hot out here...
mbmbmbmbmb
dutts wrote:
Is anyone aware of the differences between the 78, 79, and 80 printings? Are there rarity differences?

Not that I'm aware of in terms of rarity.

The different editions will have different errata and rules clarifications over the previous editions and SL editions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
c m
United States
ann arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The info here mentions some printing errors. Presumably the major things were fixed for the 2nd edition?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, 1st edition was extremely "rushed to make it to Origins." Back then, that was a big target for game companies and, unfortunately, many games suffered from the rush. (As I recall, AH only managed something less than 400 copies of CoI for Origins and sold out within the first couple hours.)

The outright errors were fixed.

For some reason I've never fully understood, the print quality was never fixed. At the time and stage of hobby standards, the original S.L. was a very "nice" game-- Clean, good images, counters nice, vehicles especially clean.

The "Monarch" standards went right into the toilet for CoI-- bad color choices, weak printing images, many of the counters look blurred or poorly printed. Some of the counter sheets would be die cut "backwards" from the others... This was when we realized it was a real detriment being "owned by the printer," as it meant QC was in a difficult spot. Where a normal customer might have rejected a lousy job, AH seldom seemed to reject anything that wasn't overtly screwed up. (If your counters were cut just a little off-- with MOST of the numbers visible, they didn't want to replace a sheet!)

Were they just using up leftover inks? Was there any other reason that they couldn't seem to match "grass green" on any two boards?

We loved the game at the time, but the production values made us very sad.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
c m
United States
ann arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the info. I was hoping things were mostly fixed for second - as that's the edition I'm getting in a trade. Too bad AH couldn't get it entirely together there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Rob
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The majority of games I see listed on eBay are 2nd Edition. My rulebook says "3rd Edition" (although the reference sheets say 2nd as well). Are there any known differences between the 2nd and 3rd editions? Or was it a simple reprint?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.