Popular Tags: [View All]
Adam Douglas
Australia
Flynn
ACT
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I missed / stuffed up a few rules when I played this scenario as noted below the AAR. Because of this, I'm not 100% sure I should have finished the game where I did.

Flight over Channel - Drag race between a Zeppelin and a Cruiser

Following standard procedure, we dropped 1 ton of ballast from sections B+C and slowly throttled the engines up to cruise speed (4). Rising to 1000m, we lost sight of home and marveled at the clear sky, enjoying the extra lift from Solar heating with the sun beating down on the canvas.

After dropping more ballast, we rose past 1800m and saw indication of a Tail Wind at high altitude with clouds forming between 3000m & 3950m. Not helpful to me though.

We reached 2350m when a Britsh RAID passed below us at 1100m. Our radio operator jumped to his station to inform home base of the Avro's marking indcation it was from Naval Squadron 1, out of Dunkirk (+1VP)

Later spotting a Submarine, we lowered to 1800m to give the bombardier some practice. Both bombs missed by a mile!

Before we could line up another attempt, a Light Crusier appeared - Arethusa-class HMS 'Royalist'. We gunned the engine to full (6), while AA was raining around us. AA fire hits Jams all controls, and hit Cells 3, 4, & 16, leaving canvas flapping in the wind, which jammed the elevator as well.

Damage control teams belatedly repaired the Zep controls while the sailmaker and the machineist from the Aft car climbs into cell 3 looking (ready to make repairs to Cell 3 and climb out on the stabilizer to repair the elevator.)

A warm front rolled in with the cloud deck 200m above us at 2000m-2950m, slowing our attempts to outrun 'Royalist'. Cell 16 repaired (lucky nothing else has leaked yet!) It was at this point, while running at full speed for the last 6 turns that the petty officer mentioned the risk of gusts to our great Zeppelin. We weighed our options/risks (the Royalist is 3/4 off the map) and made a decision. We throttled back the speed, and hoped for a miracle to save us from heavy AA from 'Royalist'.

A small cheer went up as we saw that the Clouds had dropped all the way down to 1000m and now covered us from view of from the 'Royalist' AA guns. But the excitement was short lived as Cells 3 & 4 leaked, dropping us to 1800m.

Cell 4 was repaired as the clouds and 'Royalist' disappeared from sight. Unfortunately while the Sailmaker and Machinist waited to head out on the stabilizer, both suffered hydrogen poisoning gulp but recovered quickly.

After burning some petrol, evening fell and we started looking for targets to bomb while hanging at 1900m.

Over Hostile Territory - Our observers kept looking out for targets (and weather conditions).

Looking up: Slightly concerned about English weather, we again saw evidence of at Tail Wind with Clouds at 3000m-3950m which looked like they'd be cold enough to cause Frostbite at High Altitude

Our Machinist managed to unjam the elevator and the Sailmaker repaired Cell 3

Looking down: Saw a clearing for some kind of construction site that might be a future location for a possible AA site. Nearby there was a Fe2b taxiing along the runway about to take off on CAP. We quickly flew over before they got a chance to report our position.

Looking up: Weather was still a concern with Gusts battering the crew and Zeppelin with rough winds. We also saw multiple bands of Clouds at 4000m-4950m with a possible Head Winds at High Altitude. Lower down there was a Tail Wind and another band of Clouds at 2000m-2950m which helped us cruise quickly over the English countryside. Pitty about all this weather!

Looking down: AACK! I mean 13 lber AA cannon! We vented some cells and dropped below the AA effective range of 1500m, but not before an AA shell exploded quite close, riddling one of the petrol slips tank as well as damaging Cell 9

And what was the 13 lber protecting you ask? We were thinking it might be a War Factory, so we hovered over the blacked-out block for dawn to break just to make sure we weren't hitting a civilian site. While waiting, our ensign decided we needed to be at low altitude to bomb accurately and so descended down to 600m.

Chased home across the channel

Day broke over London and the next few events happened in a blur. After we identified the factory, we looked up to see a Strike Force of an Avro 504b and a Bristol D en-route to our position just above us at a perfect strike altitude of 1100m. They would be on top of us in seconds! We quickly dropped our bombs and obliterated the factory (+10VP x2) and dumped all 2 tons of breeches in section A and slammed the elevator to maximum lift.

Breaking radio silence, our operator notified home base of our second sighting on Naval Squadran 1, out of Dunkirk (+1VP), but their target would be our Zeppelin!

The Avro pilot dropped to Raken darts, the first dart hit cells 11,12,13 and took out another fuel tank, the other dart hit cell 10, fractured the airframe ring and hit the fuel line which seized all engines in section C! For his troubles, our Bow-gunner fired off a volley and from the thin trail of smoke we thought he hit the engine, but for little effect.

The Bristol pilot mis-timed the flyover and missed his chance to do any damage. The Stern gunner gave him a goodbye present and fired several bullets into his engine leaving him smoking, but still airborne.

Leaving London and the strike force behind, we climbed to 1400m and encountered another Warm Front and Clouds at 1000m-1950m. Taking advantage of the safe haven we began repairs, fixing cells 9, 10 & 12, while cells 11 & 13 leaked. Our Machinist checked the 3 seized engines and found 2 were ka-put, but cannibalized them to get the 3rd working again.

We must have spent too much time repairing the engines and cells, as we became Lost and disorientated. We quickly found our bearings again and heard an Avro Scout on CAP at 3100m pass overhead. Cell 13 was vented to empty

Making our run for home, we heard a now familiar sound of our 3rd Strike Force flight from Naval Squadron 1, out of Dunkirk. That returning raid swept below us at 1100m while we radioed home based of the sighting. (+1VP). Hope no one at home was hurt!

Our altitude bobbed up and down with both Solar Heating providing lift as well as the water weight from a Rain shower we just clipped the edge of. We also burnt some petrol crusing over what looked like a light mist over the sea that I guess would have been Fog were there any clouds around to left to warm air cool off.

Not far from home, we encountered a Tail Wind and were shouded by clouds at 1000m-1950m. The freaky thing was that we thought we heard an Aircraft Carrier just off the coast of Germany below our cover of cloud, but we put it down to our imagination.

Dropping out of the clouds past 1000m, we encountered a steady Tail Wind and cruised on over to the Zeppelin shed where we shut down all engines, bar one. Shifting this single engine into reverse to compensate for tail wind, we gently lowered the Zeppelin to a textbook safe landing. Time for the troops to break out the tools and get to repairing that airframe ring!

My first intro game: +23VP

I even managed to returned to base! Seeing as a VP score in positive numbers doesn't necessary mean your capitan survives the game, that's a good result. wow

Things I missed:
- I'm pretty sure I made mistakes on 1 or 2 hits where I forgot to damage adjacent cells.

- I had engines running the whole time over hostile territory and forgot situations cards come up on a 1 OR 2 if not 'silent'. Not sure on how to run 'silent'.

- On seeing the war factory, I made a mistake and dropped from 1450m to 600m to get a better chance at succeeding the bombing of the war factory. It was only later that I worked out that altitude is only applied to bombing ships. Being so low obviously had a large affect when I turned over the next card and got a strike force ready to drop darts and what-not.

Time to go setup the 10 game Campaign to see how far I get!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Roach
Canada
Brandon
Manitoba
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent read, I am sure your next raid will be a success also. Your doing fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
Great AAR.

Luftschiff creates such wonderful narratives. Sounds like you had fun, which is the most important thing!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.